Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Who Needs a New 6 Volt Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Funny those battery cases look just like my interstate battery... Too bad F&F are are only up near the 10,000 lake neck of the woods...
I used to spend a lot of time in Ohio visiting cousins, and my aunt and uncle. I saw a billboard stating that FARMING IS OHIO'S LARGEST INDUSTRY, so there should be farm based stores in the area.

I like to buy my 6 volt battery from farm based stores, as they likely have better sales, meaning a fresher battery. Check the date code on the battery. Mine is J5 meaning the 10th month of 2015, and Fleet Farm uses a vibrating engraver to mark the day the battery is sold. Mine was sold new in November 2015.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
eagle

Just got back from two full days of walking Le Suer swap meet. Still didn't nearly cover everything. Not as much A stuff there this year, I didn't think. That was a pretty nice phaeton. Bought a nice 28 gauge 11-48!
Old 04-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #23
ronn

well Leo,
just looked up your ad and the same battery here in NJ shows 400 plus cranking amps and the price is 128.99

nothing cheaper, oh yeah, if you order online, you get 10% off!

what a deal.............

"everything costs more in NJ"
should be our state slogan
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Just got back from two full days of walking Le Suer swap meet. Still didn't nearly cover everything. Not as much A stuff there this year, I didn't think. That was a pretty nice phaeton. Bought a nice 28 gauge 11-48!
Yes, the only Model A parts I bought were the pair of king pins that show no wear.
I do like the big variety of other things though, but was really surprised I couldn't find any Delco Light Plants or parts, or even literature for my model 850 built in 1920.

BTW, I installed my $25 battery from Le Sueur and it's working fine.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #25
CarlG

Here's my battery story:

My battery (12v) was nearing 2 years old, (24-month warranty) last fall. After setting for a couple of weeks, it would always need a charge before it would start the engine. Last outing of the season was on Halloween, and I like to never got it started, even after charging it, and then using the "start" function on my charger. But I got it going.

Then a couple weeks later had the same experience when I went to put it in storage while my garage was being taken over by a kitchen re-model. Fast forward a couple of months and I had to move it to another storage place and had the same problem.

4 months later, I arranged to take it out of storage. I told the guys at the storage facility that I would most likely need help in getting it started, and that I would just bring a new battery to put in it. When I got there, new battery in hand, they said that it started with no problem. It's been about 3 weeks now, and it has never failed to start.

So now I have a brand new battery on the shelf. Go figure!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #26
Mike Peters

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...l-battery.html

40 bucks with your old battery. I've has some last 8 or 10 years, and some 2 years.
Farm & Fleet has stores on S. Wisconsin and Northern , Illinois, and I think in Eastern iowa.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #27
leo

Hey ronn, don't know where you are looking in NJ but I just looked online for Batteries & Bulbs and found the battery that I bought (640 cold cranking amps) for $78.99 at the Succasunna store (route 10). Have another look. Their filter only goes back to 1934 but the battery listed and displayed is a 6 volt group 1 Duracell.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #28
mrraford

Atwoods sells good batteries at good prices. Including the beloved 6 volt.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #29
signsup

I put a Tractor Supply battery in my Model T. Group 1 is the size. I needed a battery for my 42 Ford WWII jeep and it is Group2 and the forum for that hobby is big on CAT batteries. Got the 6v CAT battery for $94 out the door, I get to keep my old battery for testing coils around the garage, but it won't hold a charge.

Now, here is the kicker... 72 month warranty and 780 CCA's. Worth a slight premium for that, IMO.
A little cosmetic's on it and I put it in my GPW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willard 1.JPG (34.1 KB, 28 views)
signsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Hey ronn, don't know where you are looking in NJ but I just looked online for Batteries & Bulbs and found the battery that I bought (640 cold cranking amps) for $78.99 at the Succasunna store (route 10). Have another look. Their filter only goes back to 1934 but the battery listed and displayed is a 6 volt group 1 Duracell.
Batteries+Bulbs local to me (Newington, NH) has Duracell 6V and 440CCA (and a BCI Group 19L case, whatever that is their idea of a Model A battery) for $120.99 minus $12 core charge minus 10 percent online order/store delivery discount for a grand total of $96.90 take away price.

Guess this the "eastern surcharge" for a ho-hum battery CCA?

Joe K
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #31
captndan

O'Reillys $80. Advance Auto $115. Both only one year.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
O'Reillys $80. Advance Auto $115. Both only one year.
Makes that Fleet Farm $55 look really good. FF battery has 12 month free replacement and 24 month prorated warranty. As I said earlier, the Fleet Farm battery in my 50 Studebaker is 13 years old, and that's why I'm replacing it.

I just wonder how long that battery would have lasted if I didn't leave it setting under a bush for over 2 years. When someone gave it to me, I just figured it was a junk core battery. Never assume!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #33
ronn

thx Leo- looked at my Marlton?Mt Laurel store and no such animal.

price is as Joe K says.......................

actually nothing much under 100. here- crazy!

see how fortunate you guys are?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #34
leo

Hi Ronn, if their customer service is worth anything I would ask them to get you a battery that is sold in one of their other locations for the same price. I just went to their site, found Heavy Duty Duracell Ultra 6V Battery and entered the Mt Laurel zip. It said limited availability but that's the same thing it says for the Succasunna store where I bought mine.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #35
signsup

A little off topic, but frustrating to go to on line sites and get prices and product specs, only to go to the actual store and find out they don't carry that part, won't honor the price or won't or can't even get the part that their own on line site advertises. Their reply is that the web site is a different operation and not related to what is sold at brick and mortar locations.
Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, auto part stores, etc.

Soing finding something on line doesn't really mean much unless you are going to order on line and pay shipping. Frustrating.
signsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #36
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by signsup View Post
I put a Tractor Supply battery in my Model T. Group 1 is the size. I needed a battery for my 42 Ford WWII jeep and it is Group2 and the forum for that hobby is big on CAT batteries. Got the 6v CAT battery for $94 out the door, I get to keep my old battery for testing coils around the garage, but it won't hold a charge.

Now, here is the kicker... 72 month warranty and 780 CCA's. Worth a slight premium for that, IMO.
A little cosmetic's on it and I put it in my GPW.
So did you rework the cosmetics to make the CAT battery look like a Willard? That's pretty cool. How did you do it?
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #37
mrraford

Atwoods stores sell 6V tractor/equipment batteries for about $44.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #38
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Sams Club has a Duracell for $79.36

Joe K

Put a new Sam's Duracell 12V in my modern pickup - correct size, etc per their catalog. After less than 2 years, it stranded me without warning - dead cell. Flat bed and new Delco cost me $400. Never Duracell again!
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote