Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #281
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Ken, I removed the fill tube stems so I could get to the one bolt on each water pump in block to remove. Thought stems threaded in but found they were just a press in snug fit, will have to find away to install with out damaging the oil fill stem spring cap. I asked "Skip" if the rebuilt water pump used modern bearing that did not need motor oil but he also said I needed to place oil in them, thanks Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #282
BILL WZOREK

Bruce:
Find Or turn a bolt the proper size to bottom out in the cup. Then with a few taps of a hammer they should push back in. May be a drop of lock tight to make sure they stay put. ( Just a thought )
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #283
Bruce in southern OH

Sounds like a plan, I will do that, thank you Bill
Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #284
cmbrucew

Any updates?
Bruce
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #285
Bruce in southern OH

cmbrucew, just so happens that I installed the water pumps on Monday, I have been insulating the garage that has my lift.(cold back east ) I called Ken in Alabama and asked him a question about correct bolts to install the water pumps, I had six of 3/4" X 5/16" course and they had a 1/4" shoulder. Two of the eight bolts were 1 long. Found two matching bolts in my old bolts/nuts box. This should be correct, I am holding off installing the radiator until I remove front splash pan, it has two rust holes from radiator fluid damage. I also think while I have all this room I will remove the two front pot metal grills and see who can clean and chrome, do not want them to remain unprotected. Anyone with NOS grills or location of someone that chromes pot metal is appreciated, thanks for asking,
Old 01-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #286
cmbrucew

Bruce
I would recommend a stainless bolt for the hidden one, if the v12 water pumps are like the v8. Good luck with the chrome job. Here in California the EPA has forced most chrome shops out of business. Some relocated to Texas I heard.
Bruce
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #287
Vic Piano

The V-12 water pumps don't have the hidden bolt inside, they also do not serve as front motor mounts.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #288
cmbrucew

Any thing new?
Bruce
Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #289
Bruce in southern OH

Hey, cmbrucew, have the front gravel guard at a friends to paint black when he has time, Don P. repaired for me. I then can install the radiator, hoses and fill with anti-freeze. The hold up with me is we have a record -22 at home, clearing snow and now have been without water for 7 days. I have been helping others with drinking water and last week took tractor and cleared parking lots for friends, church. Just seems like we were going miss winter and now we are making up for the misses of mega snows up in New England. Thank you for checking on me. ( garage is cold )
Old 03-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #290
Bruce in southern OH

Removed the two front grills from 39LZ, was going to take to chrome plating firm to have pot metal plated but could not find any one local that did pot metal. I had started cleaning the grills on car with 4/0 steel wool but was slow going. I have the radiator removed to install rebuilt water pumps and the repair of gravel guard. I got a warm day this week so I removed the two grills and called Don p. to go visit and get his thoughts of what I should do to clean. We took a soft wire brush he had for drill motor and it cleaned the green tarnish off pretty well. Next we media blasted the back and sides of grill bars to see how that worked. Next tried some of the mirror spray paint to see how it coated the bars on back side. This seemed like a good way to clean up grills so I loaded them back up and returned to my garage. Spent rest of day doing both grills and re-installing them, turned out well for an old car.

39 LZ Front Grills

NOW I HAVE A BIG QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!! I AM 99.44% FULL OF CAPACITY of my photobucket account, question is how do I remove old photos and save to free up space for future photos, if I go over this amount I have to pay storage. Need to know what you/anyone has done when this happens, thanks Bruce ( hope Spring has Sprung )
Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #291
Randy in ca

Quote ...........NOW I HAVE A BIG QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!! I AM 99.44% FULL OF CAPACITY of my photobucket account, question is how do I remove old photos and save to free up space for future photos, if I go over this amount I have to pay storage. Need to know what you/anyone has done when this happens, thanks Bruce ( hope Spring has Sprung)

This is exactly one of the reasons many have opinionated in the past not to use a photo hosting service such as Photobucket. Load them into Fordbarn and they'll be there for as long as Fordbarn itself is around, or at least as long as the thread itself is still accessible. It is extremely frustrating and totally degrades threads when page after page is filled with these (below) instead of the pictures that were originally there. The pictures themselves are often the most interesting and valuable part of a thread. Just my humble opinion for what it's worth!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photobucket picture gone.jpg (14.1 KB, 1 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #292
Bruce in southern OH

Randy, if I move photo's that are not on the barn but are using my space up, how do you move them to a flash drive???
Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #293
Bruce in southern OH

Anyone with more information on how to free up space on photobucket so I can post to Fordbarn??

Previous post 03-13-15

NOW I HAVE A BIG QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!! I AM 99.44% FULL OF CAPACITY of my photobucket account, question is how do I remove old photos and save to free up space for future photos, if I go over this amount I have to pay storage. Need to know what you/anyone has done when this happens, thanks Bruce ( hope Spring has Sprung )
Old 03-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #294
TonyM

This 1937 Ford Fordor De Luxe Sedan was in storage for 50 years -- from the early 1960s until 2013, when I got it running. Here is a photo of the car after I fixed it up and a photo shot on the day I purchased it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0387.jpg (89.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 40340005.jpg (78.8 KB, 93 views)
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #295
Bruce in southern OH

Very nice work, they are out there!!
Old 03-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #296
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Anyone with more information on how to free up space on photobucket so I can post to Fordbarn??

Previous post 03-13-15

I have a photo bucket album too. I have not actually tried it but there is a tab over on the right side of page that says "download album". I am assuming this would allow you to download all the photos in the album to your computer or external hard drive of your choice.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #297
V8COOPMAN

Could be wrong, but I believe that when you remove a photo from Photobucket (or any other hoster) that any of those photos that you posted on this site will disappear from this site, and you've posted a bunch. Why not open a second, additional free account from another hosting service? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #298
Bruce in southern OH

V8COOPMAN/everyone, sounds good, what are other sites that offer this service and are compatible with Fordbarn, appreciate the help, Bruce

RalphG, will look into your information, ( will have my son look ) thanks Bruce
Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #299
Bruce in southern OH

Have been working on the Gravel Guard of the 39 LZ, I replaced the Gravel Guard last couple of weeks, installed the radiator, hoses, anti-freeze, re-built water pumps, alternator with new regulator, installed motor fan. Now I started engine, alternator 13.5 to 14 volts great, now have good recharge and all looks good. Took car out road for test drive, turned from my road to main road which is a right turn with a twist up hill. Now I hear a clinging sound and pull in to a church parking lot and back up and forward, sound gone. So out I go for a short four or five mile trip, no noise, no problem. Pull into driveway and the clinging returns but not stopping, leave car running and find that the fan blade is touching the drivers side radiator hose or clamp. Moved car around and it stopped and back to garage. Got to looking around to see what problem was and the motor was about a 1/2" farther to the drivers side in cross member than to the passenger side. I could pry the motor over to passenger side but it would slowly move right back. Checked the old motor mounts and they were like chewing gum material and completely crushed down to metal to metal. Again had to reverse all my work and take everything apart. Found out how to get motor mounts out of car and placed a wanted ad on Ford Barn for Lincoln motor mounts, NONE. Called Ken in Alabama and got info about the history of motor mounts and where to ask about replacements. NONE to be had. I took old motor mounts to Don P's and we cleaned up and replaced the Vulcanized material with belt line material. "if you have used belt line at a mine site you know how tough the material is ". Cleaned, Cut, drilled, measured and we came up with a QUALITY replacement motor mount that will last for years. Installed today, motor is now about 1/2 higher in the front ( clearance from lower radiator hoses now good ) and motor is now in the center of the engine compartment. I now think I have had all components out of the old car!!! Reconnected everything this evening and started up, looks like this will work, test drive tomorrow. Thanks for the help as always DON!!!!!
Motor Mounts for 39LZ, one is a 39 original mount and the right one is a 40 thru 48 motor mount

Finish installing the side pieces of belt line at my garage

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 04-24-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #300
cmbrucew

Lots of uses for old conveyor belt.
Sounds like you and Don have everything sorted out on your 39, and should be able to enjoy it all summer. Don't know about Ohio, but West Virginia is beautiful to tour the old highways. Was there in 1977 on my Harley.
Bruce