Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Pothole Jim

Default hydraulic brakes , 1936 spindles

Is there someone who can help me with putting hydraulic brakes on 36 spindles? I have heard it can be done and of course I also heard it cannot be done. Well which is it? I would like to put hydraulic brakes on 36 spindles with 36 drums, Possible or Not??

Thank you for your time.
Pothole Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: hydraulic brakes , 1936 spindles

OK...
'36 spindles have the early '32-6 bolt pattern and the late spindle shaft length just like '37-48.
You need the little adapter kit available everywhere but you will need only half the parts, the sort of piston ring that centers everything. The small, thick spacer is not needed. Backing plates need to be slotted over to the bolt holes in spindles.
You can use any 1939-48 backing plates and 1937-39 front drums...the 1936 ones are spaced back too far. I believe you can keep the '36 rear drums.
(Also--neatest and easiest hydraulic part of the conversion is a kit from Richard EV8 on here allowing the master cylinder to work from stock pedals)
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Richard (EV8G)

Once again, THANK YOU Bruce! Regarding adapting hydraulics to the 36 spindles, it can indeed be done as you describe. The "inexpensive $20 kit" that you refer to does consist of two piston rings (too thick and brittle) and two valve seats (wrong dimensions). As you say, the 36 (and many 35) spindles have a thick boss that the seal rides on, so no bearing spacer is needed as with Model A, 32-35(some). Instead of using the piston ring, I can supply a flange with an integral correct spacer to fit the hydraulic brake plate (larger center hole) to the 32-36 (and Model A) spindles. This flange is drilled the same as the spindle pattern and installs between the brake plate and the grease catcher to provide extra support AND provides a pattern to use to scribe the brake plates in order to file 3/8" diameter notches so that the brake plate cannot rotate as it would if excessively large notches are cut, which was often the case in the "good old days"...

The only way I know of to use the 36 hubs/drums (and also 35's) is to find a pair of 39-40 Lincoln Bendix front brakes, which have the same deep offset as the original 35-36 brakes and are compatible BUT: it is also necessary to replace the kingpins and bearings with a special kit that eliminates the socket (cannot just cut it off, and should not since it also carries the load originally) and moves the bearings (special thin bearings and plates) to the bottom of the axle. This allows for the overhang of the deep brake plates above the kingpins and also provides access for the front hoses to screw into the wheel cylinders. It is also necessary to grind the top of the spindle flange FLAT, as the wheel cylinders are mounted lower on Bendix brakes and therefore the "ledge" below them is also located lower down... These things are also required when installing the new Bendix brakes (actually 1941's contrary to advertising...) on 32-36 spindles when using 37-39 front hubs/drums. EXCEPT the new brakes are available to fit 32-36 spindles, so don't need the flanged spacer in that case.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
blucar

As you can figure out from the above comments.. Retaining the stock '36 spindles can be done, however, it is a lot of extra work to accomplish very little.
It is much easier to convert the mechanical brakes to hydraulic using a '41 and later spindle/king pins... This gets rid of all of the mechanical brake parts. Use '42-48 backing plates/brakes with '38-39 drums and your stock '36 wheels. The peddle assembly can be a stock '39 unit and/or something from one of the aftermarket vendors.
The '42-48 brakes will give you better stopping and the parts are readily available from parts vendors..
I try to follow the KISS theory... Keep It Simple Stupid...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
mrtexas

Another advantage to the 41 and later square back spindles is there are cheap disc brake brackets available that use late model rotors. Disc brakes are no more expensive than the repro front bendix backing plates. http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/early_for...nversions.html I'm doing this right now. You do have to buy a steering bracket and tie rod which are both cheap as well.

I will be using 40 wheels but an adapter is available for using 36 wheels.

I'll have to compliment Richard(EV8G) as being very helpful over the phone. I bought the 36 ebrake setup from him. I am using MT Car products rear backing plates and drums.

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-04-2012 at 01:14 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
David Conwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
I will be using 40 wheels but an adapter is available for using 36 wheels.
Is that this one?
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote