Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Keith True

Default 35 transmission

My 35 Coupe came to me with a spare transmission.I figured there was a reason for it,the floor tunnel was missing from the car,and the transmission is noisy.It has a straight up tower,with a shortened lever.It is not the top that was on the trans,I can see it was changed.Dirty trans,clean cover,different color,etc.There is another cover that came with the car,but it has a slanted back shift tower.Which one belongs in my car?I know the tunnel cover is different,but mine is missing the tunnel anyway,so I will just buy the correct one for whatever I use.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 35 transmission

The tower needs to match the gears and without a picture there is no way to tell what gears are in there. Remove the cover and get a picture of the synchronizer and post it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Mike in AZ

Number on top of transmission bellhousing above inspection window?
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Terry,OH

The guys below are correct 35 is slanted and 36 is straight

Last edited by Terry,OH; 10-13-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
cas3

reverse order i believe terry
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

32to 35 slanted I think Terry

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:46 AM   #7
Mac VP

Look through the identification details from our website. You should be able to confirm what you have there. Remember that anyone coming have swapped gears, cases, or shifter towers on this transmission.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...sID_3speed.htm
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Hoop

Keith, I believe you have come over to V8's from the Model A side with that great 3 window. There are a couple of things that you should be aware of when dealing with transmissions.

First, the car's serial number is stamped on the transmission above the inspection hole/plate on the bell. Unlike Model A's, there is no engine stamp ... instead there's a transmission number.

You have a couple of transmissions ... one in your car and a spare. The FIRST thing I would do is check and see if either of their numbers match your car's number stamped on the top of the left frame in front of the firewall. If you have a match, there's a great deal of satisfaction and value associated with that.

I have 2 1935 Fords. When I bought one of them, the seller had a pile of parts destined for the recycler and told me to help myself. The ORIGINAL transmission was in the pile. I promptly rebuilt it using later "1939 style" gears ... a designed interchange update ... and proudly have the correct, original transmission installed.

Use Mac Van Pelt's site to very carefully identify which gears are in which transmissions ... which shifter tops you have ... and proceed carefully since even Ford Barn can get advice backwards.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Just to add more info, a change of gears to the late type from 1939 up through the 48 for cars is not an uncommon thing but using the slant back tower would require some mods to get the 91A type front shift fork to work. The later vertical tower can be easily modified but it's not original to the 1935 models. The later top loader transmissions can be used as long as the rear mount is installed to match the 1935. It is nice to have the original stuff though if you are fortunate enough to have that transmission with the matching number.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Keith True

My spare transmission is marked 48-7006 That one had a straight tower,which somebody installed in the car.Just the cover,not the whole trans.Both the cover and spare trans have the same odd red paint on them.The transmission in the car,matches the frame number.The slant tower I have LOOKS like it came out of the car,but you never know.I strongly suspect that it did come from the car because it has the same kind of gravel stuck in the grease.Also,the shifter is wobbling around in the tower,and that would have been a good reason to change it.Mostly I wanted to know what tower was used because I have to find a tunnel for the car.A couple of guys have asked me which tower I had,so I figured I would just go with the original.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The original 35 with the slant back tower is still a synchronized 2nd & high gear transmission. They work fine if in good condition. The later 39 synchro shifts easier but you can get used to matching rpms on the older style. The shift levers wear, the sockets wear in the tower, and the locating pin also wears in the tower. All can be repaired with patients and a good skill set. The 32 thru 35 have the angled tower than is set more forward than the later cars. This would affect the floor but a lot of folks have changed them over for the later stuff too. Some have even grafted a 91A fork on to the earlier type fork shaft to get the late type gears and keep the tower but I've never attempted that modification. It would likely require cutting and welding of parts. That's kind of scary when the gears are all rotating underneath if something breaks above them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
My spare transmission is marked 48-7006 That one had a straight tower,which somebody installed in the car.Just the cover,not the whole trans.Both the cover and spare trans have the same odd red paint on them.The transmission in the car,matches the frame number.The slant tower I have LOOKS like it came out of the car,but you never know.I strongly suspect that it did come from the car because it has the same kind of gravel stuck in the grease.Also,the shifter is wobbling around in the tower,and that would have been a good reason to change it.Mostly I wanted to know what tower was used because I have to find a tunnel for the car.A couple of guys have asked me which tower I had,so I figured I would just go with the original.
You still need to know what gears are in the original case. If the tower was changed it is possible the gears were changed. And if not, that later tower will not be working correctly.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
Hoop

"You still need to know what gears are in the original case. If the tower was changed it is possible the gears were changed. And if not, that later tower will not be working correctly."

Exactly.

Keith, you really need to go to Mac Van Pelt's website that he posted. Look for "GEAR SETS USED" and identify which gears are installed in the transmission that's in your car. The pictures are excellent.

If you can't do that, contact a local Ford V8 club and get somebody that really knows what they're doing ... or you are going to waste time and money messing around. You have a wonderful car that deserves your best effort.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #14
Keith True

I can't see any signs the transmission in the car has been taken apart.All the bolts are buried in the old hardened grease,the only part that was cleaned off was around the tower mating surfaces.that has fresh,(40 year old)jacknife scrapings around it.You can't even see the bolts around the U-joint housing.I poked at that hard grease,but was afraid I would break my jacknife.Could somebody have forced that later top cover on there with the original gears?The shifter is kind of draggy,and has been cut down to a foot tall.I have the car put away right now,and can't take it apart where it is.My main question right now has been answered,the car originally had a slant tower,so I can look for a tunnel cover for that over the winter.In the spring I can easily pop the top cover off to get a look at it.Right now the car is packed in like a sardine.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
"The 32 thru 35 have the angled tower than is set more forward than the later cars. This would affect the floor but a lot of folks have changed them over for the later stuff too. Some have even grafted a 91A fork on to the earlier type fork shaft to get the late type gears and keep the tower but I've never attempted that modification. It would likely require cutting and welding of parts. That's kind of scary when the gears are all rotating underneath if something breaks above them"
I recently did just about what you described above, except someone else made those special forks for me, for both 2nd/3rd and 1st/reverse. The fork parts and pieces necessary to do this were all very nicely done and professionally Tig welded together. I have no more concern about these failing then I would an original set of 39 forks. These modified forks fit right into a stock '35 slanted back shift tower, and shift all gears into the correct position, just as a stock '39 straight up shift tower with the correct stock folks would have done on my '35 case, with a set of'46 to '48 gears installed. This transmission now shifts like a dream as compared to the way it use to shift, plus it no longer jumps out of 2nd gear as it had previously done since purchasing this car in 2007.
Last month I drove this car from Maryland to Auburn Indiana, did about 400 miles of touring while in Indiana, then drove back home, for a total of just a little over 1400 miles. No problems whatsoever with shifting during this entire trip.
I'm now planning to do this same conversion on two of my other 35's.

Note: My friend who made these forks has asked me not to reveal his name and/or location, as he is not interested in making these commercially, or otherwise.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-15-2019 at 04:55 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Deleted a duplicate post.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-15-2019 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Deleted a duplicate post
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote