Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
steve fritz

Default New Shok Absorbers

Can you guys recommend a good shock absorber to buy for the 55 Ford Ranch Wagon ? Any thoughts on rear air shocks and/or the coil over shock assist for the wagon? Also I am planning on front shock replacement as well.
KYB , Monroe , etc anybody recently replace their shocks and have any good advice on brands etc.
I see epay has tons of listings on name brands , lots to choose from?
Thanks!
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: New Shok Absorbers

The Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks run $74.99 at Autozone the Gabriel front gas shocks are part # 82026
@$21.99 If you still have the original 60 year old leaf springs and new ones are not in the budget you could add these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERIOR-11....c100005.m1851
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Don't get air shocks unless you plan to get under the car every year and replace plastic tubing and o-ring seals at the tubing connections in the shocks. They leak air like crazy once the plastic tubing becomes accustomed to the pressure the o-ring puts on them, and the O-rings become distorted over time.
There are good gas-charged shocks available. Sorry I could not find manufacturer & part # on mine, only the patent number.
If your rear end is dragging the pavement due to worn out leaf spring arches, shocks are the least of your worry, unless you wanna try to find a set of old-school rear shock overload spring kits.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
steve fritz

Dave.....I tend to agree with you on the air-shocks. Back in the day thy were a pain in the neck , but everyone thought they were cool when you jacked up the rear end with them.
No , I just want a good standard shock and wasn't sure what was available out there now. I since have found them at CONCOURS PARTS, and will go with them for now.
Thanks for your input.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote