Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
53INGY

Default Weights of axles for shipping purposes

Gentlemen has anyone on the forum shipped a front or rear axle of the early V8 1932-48. I have requests and don't know approximate weights to tell ballpark weights to freight companies. I do know they have to be palletized for fork truck handling.
Thanks
Don
53INGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Weights of axles for shipping purposes

A few years ago I shipped a 40 Ford front axle by putting it in a strong cardboard box. I did not palletize it. The same is true when I bought a Magnum axle. It came in a cardboard box and was not on a pallet. I have also shippled a 51 Merc front bumper and a 40 Ford front spring by wrapping each tightly with cardboard and duct tape so it followed the shape of each item. Went to Office Depot and shipped them UPS. No pallet req'd. However, I think shipping a complete rear axle with the housings attached to the center section (like a complete rear end) would be a different story. But, when I bought only the two rear axles for my 9 inch, they came in cardboard boxes. I relate this info. with the hope that perhaps you will not have to go through the aggrivation of using a pallet. Another idea is to use FASTENAL. I understand they do ship large items like engines and it's very affordable. Just go to the store nearest you.http://www.quicktransportsolutions.c...p#.Ui9GzMaG1c8
Also, browse this site for really helpful shipping info. including quotes.
http://www.freightquote.com/freight/rates/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
V12Bill

Is that the same Fastenal company that sells nuts and bolts?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
53INGY

Yes Bill the same company that sell bolts etc. will ship engines bolted to a pallet I shipped an engine from NY to Minnesota for $159 that's cheap I know I have to compress like take wishbone off a front and torque off the rear axle and strap to a pallet for it is too heavy except with a fork truck the weights is what I do not know I figure 200-300 lbs. front and rears
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
rotorwrench

I purchased two rear axles from a guy in AZ and he truck freighted them to me in a crate the size of a piano. I guess he couldn't get the torque tubes off. The crate was falling apart by the time it got here to TX. Truck freight is expensive and really should have a pallet for stuff that is much over 50 lbs. They used to ship in weight classifications like between 200 & 400lbs. if it was anywhere within this weight range it still only cost one amount. I'm not sure if it is still this way or not but a few phone calls to a local shipper would tell. I had a model A axle sent to me wrapped in card board and shipped USPS and it got here to TX OK.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

I am not sure I understand the question bases on the responses. Is the "axle" complete including brake drums, backing plates and wish bones etc or is it a "bare" axle.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
53INGY

Charlie These axles are complete spring to brake drums I know I have to remove wishbone and torque tube to get it small enough to ship but wonder what the weights might be for this governs shipping cost plus size of the package