Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
verdirick

Angry Model B Block Crack

I've sent a similar post previously about this and thought we had the problem solved. What I have is a B block with water running out of the # 5 and # 6 valve seats, both the intake and exhaust valve ports have water coming out of the side of the block when I take the manifold off, with water in the # 3 cylinder when I pull the head. The machine shop did a pressure test and "sealed" the crack with a ceramic seal under pressure, but as soon as I put a 100 + miles on the engine and brought it up to temp the crack has again opened up. This block was magnafluxed before we did all the work on it, but did not find this crack until all was done (valve seats, sleeves, insert bearings),,,,. I have too much invested in this engine to junk it, does anyone have or know of anybody who may be able to salvage this block? I would appreciate any help
Thanks
Rick Jensen
775-527-1419
[email protected]
verdirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Model B Block Crack

http://www.locknstitch.com/

They probably had too much work in the block before they found the crack to tell you, one of the problems is that the cleaning methods obscure some of the cracks, when the counter bore was cut for the valve seat--cracks will show, when the cyl was bored for the sleeve --cracks show, most times I can see a valve seat crack without magnaflux -before any cleaning is done
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdirick View Post
I've sent a similar post previously about this and thought we had the problem solved. What I have is a B block with water running out of the # 5 and # 6 valve seats, both the intake and exhaust valve ports have water coming out of the side of the block when I take the manifold off, with water in the # 3 cylinder when I pull the head. The machine shop did a pressure test and "sealed" the crack with a ceramic seal under pressure, but as soon as I put a 100 + miles on the engine and brought it up to temp the crack has again opened up. This block was magnafluxed before we did all the work on it, but did not find this crack until all was done (valve seats, sleeves, insert bearings),,,,. I have too much invested in this engine to junk it, does anyone have or know of anybody who may be able to salvage this block? I would appreciate any help
Thanks
Rick Jensen
775-527-1419
[email protected]

Call J and M Machine Co. 508-460-0733, Southborough, Ma.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
verdirick

Thanks for the info. Called and talked with John this morning. I'll ship my problem block to him
verdirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
DaveB

I have a B block with similar cracks. I had Taylor Machine in LA to the braze on the cracks. I still have the block with the repairs, but since I found another block, I have not put this one back in a car.
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
glenn in camino

The best way to repair a cracked block is to stitch it together with overlapping, tapered, threaded pins.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
400A-64

Thumbs up Re: Model B Block Crack

There is an outfit in or near Turlock,CA that does "crack stitching" Hey I found it...
LOCK-N-Stitch Inc. 1015 S. Soderquist Rd. Turlock,CA 95380 www.locknstitch.com
1-800-736-8261
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
DaveB

The cast iron area below the head inside the valve chamber is connected to the water chamber and is much too thin to do the "crack stitching". The head surface on a B is thinner than an A but can be stitched or "lap pin" repaired. The block will still need to be surfaced when the pin job is finished and make the block even a bit thinner but usuable as long as you don't over-heat the engine ........ which is probably why it cracked in the first place.
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote