Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
jm29henry

Default Tom is back !!!

Was on another site this evening and our lost Tom W is back,and possibly a Buick ?i wonder what year and body style ? Welcome home and a warm welcome back
Joe
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Tom is back !!!

It's a 2000 Buick LeSabre, that is near mint since it has been in dry country and never seen road salt until I had to drive it home.
I saw a few Model A's while in Arizona, but most were rodded rather than stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (85.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (75.9 KB, 100 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
It's a 2000 Buick LeSabre, that is near mint since it has been in dry country and never seen road salt until I had to drive it home.
That is a good car and easy to work on but, I was thinking that maybe you were going to show us a 1936 Buick.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
DGNY

Welcome back, Tom. I seem to recall that those Buicks were very well-built and also easy on fuel.

Cheers,

Dyson
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

That is a nice looking Buick . Its good to see you back , Tom .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Tom, if that Buick was ever near Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, or anywhere else in Northern Arizona in the winter, it HAS seen salt! The standard application rate is (or was, I retired about 4 years ago) 300 lbs. of salt per lane per mile per application, and salt is spread repeatedly during a storm.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Tom, if that Buick was ever near Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, or anywhere else in Northern Arizona in the winter, it HAS seen salt! The standard application rate is (or was, I retired about 4 years ago) 300 lbs. of salt per lane per mile per application, and salt is spread repeatedly during a storm.
Yes, that really surprised me to find salt on the roads just 50 miles or so north of Sun City West by Phoenix. I wasn't expecting to see salt until I was at least in the next state or a few hundred miles north. The bottom of my Buick looks like it just rolled of the assembly line, and I want to keep it that way, so I need to give it a good power wash as soon as possible, and then not drive on salt anymore. BTW, the 3.8 is the best most fuel efficient engine GM built. Maybe that's why they dropped it. It also has a long life and plenty of power.

There are some guys that want to drive there Model A's once in a while during the winter on dry roads, but even that dry salt dust gets into everything, and usually stays in bolt threads and crevices where it isn't easy to clean. I never drive my old cars until at least two heavy rains have washed the salt off the roads. This limits us to only 5 or 6 months of salt free roads in Minnesota, and since I also try to never take my cars out in the rain, we have very few good driving days here.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNY View Post
Welcome back, Tom. I seem to recall that those Buicks were very well-built and also easy on fuel.

Cheers,

Dyson
I grew up in upstate NY, just about 10 miles east of Rochester. That was beautiful country back in the 50's and 60's, but I suppose it's getting all built up by now. I liked the nice rural countryside I grew up in.
This is my first Buick, and I sure like it. As much as I'd like to put lots of miles on my Model A, sometimes you have to be practical for long distance driving, and use the car that gets twice the fuel economy. Gas is no longer cheap like it was in the early 70's, when I once paid 18.9 cents a gallon during a gas war. When's the last time you heard of a gas war? LOL
Old 02-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
Ed Northrop

Still is beautiful country tom.
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
jm29henry

That’s a great looking car ,who ever you got it from took great care of her . In 6 years it will be considered a historical vehicle in Michigan . But yet still hold onto current styling! Very few people would think that car as a 20year old vehicle .
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Those are nice cars you'll get a lot of use out of it.

A very good Ford mechanic friend told me years ago, that the 3.8 litre V-6 that GM built back then cost them tons of money. I asked him 'They were that bad of a motor??" and he said 'NO, that was the best motor GM built it never broke down, that is where they were losing parts and service sales. The 'Series 1'.

The next series they came out with was engineered to fail. Tim told GM friends he knew to stay well clear of that one.

People figure that out over time. Shame on these companies for doing that and no wonder people go to something else
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:18 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
That’s a great looking car ,who ever you got it from took great care of her . In 6 years it will be considered a historical vehicle in Michigan . But yet still hold onto current styling! Very few people would think that car as a 20year old vehicle .
Only takes 20 years to get historic plates in Minnesota. Yes, it does seems strange that this nice modern car can be eligible for historic plates in less than a year. Bet if I did put the historic plates on I'd get stopped every time a cop saw me drive it. In S.D. I got stopped for having historic plates on my 1949 Chevy 1 1/2 ton flatbed truck and hauling steel that I bought at an auction. Big deal........I use it once and get stopped. It's not like I used it daily for hauling.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
DGNY

Tom, you are correct that there has been much building east of Rochester, New York. However, once you cross the county line into Wayne County, and turn south on, say, Lincoln Rd., not a lot has changed, and the clock rolls back several decades.

Still much beauty to be seen and you would enjoy the trip back in time.

Cheers,

Dyson
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNY View Post
Tom, you are correct that there has been much building east of Rochester, New York. However, once you cross the county line into Wayne County, and turn south on, say, Lincoln Rd., not a lot has changed, and the clock rolls back several decades.

Still much beauty to be seen and you would enjoy the trip back in time.

Cheers,

Dyson

I'd like to go back to visit. I lived on Lincoln Rd. just a mile north of West Walworth. We had 40 acres where I drove my dad's old 1950 Studebaker Champion, and my classmate had a large fruit orchard where we used to run around in his Model A. That was the first time I rode in a Model A.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:24 AM   #15
1oldtimer

Only real issues with those are window regulator/motors, some have fuel pressure reg problems and some have a problem with trans pressure solenoid.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote