Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Lamar Wadsworth

Default Y block intake swap

I have a 4 barrel intake part #ECZ-9425-B that came off a '57 Merc 312 that I plan to use with a 600 Holley on my '55 Ford 272. I have the distributor off the same 312 that I plan to use. Any potential issues I need to be aware of?

Also what is this gizmo on the 312 intake? See picture.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Lamar Wadsworth

Default Re: Y block intake swap

Picture didn't attach. Trying again. If I can't get a pic, it's a little round thing about the size of a quarter in diameter with a domed top. Screws into bottom on the driver's side just above the bolt and clamp that attaches the intake to the head.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Wadsworth View Post
Picture didn't attach. Trying again. If I can't get a pic, it's a little round thing about the size of a quarter in diameter with a domed top. Screws into bottom on the driver's side just above the bolt and clamp that attaches the intake to the head.
Sounds like you are describing this: https://www.larrystbird.com/product/...derbird-t9549/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Lamar Wadsworth

That's it. What does it do?
Old 03-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
scicala

That is not what you are describing. That's a dashpot that attaches to the carburetor. What you are describing is the cap for the air inlet of the choke hot air tube that goes across inside the exhaust crossover of the manifold to the passenger's side. On the passanger's side there should be a brass elbow inserted in the hot air tube. In that brass elbow, a steel line inserts into it, and goes the the threaded nipple on the carb choke housing to supply heat to open the choke. All of these parts are available at CASCO (classic T-Bird parts).
Or you can use an electric heated choke thermostat cap on the carb and suplly 12 volts to in only when the ignition is on.
Or get a Holley with a manual choke, or a manual choke kit for you current Holley if you have one.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
darrell

its so the engine doesnt stall if you let of the gas quick
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
scicala

Also, your '57 Mercury 312 distributor will work good with the Holley 600 carb.

Sal
Old 03-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: Y block intake swap

Quote:
... it's a little round thing about the size of a quarter in diameter with a domed top. Screws into bottom on the driver's side just above the bolt and clamp that attaches the intake to the head.
I think you are describing this -

It is a dirt deflector (ga-nats - bumbly bees - mothra like flying creatures) for the fresh air draw for the choke stove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARB - CHOKE - Stove Inlet Defelector - 1957 FYB.JPG (20.9 KB, 100 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #9
scicala

That's what I said in detail in post #5.

Sal
Old 03-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Y block intake swap

Yes you did and I for some reason did not see it. I guess I had dash-pot on my mind.

Sorry ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:21 PM   #11
Gene F

Wow. $49 for a dashpot. Guess carb parts are commanding premium money these days
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #12
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Wow. $49 for a dashpot. Guess carb parts are commanding premium money these days
That's what I thought too. You can find them a little cheaper than that on EBAY.

Sal
Old 03-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #13
Lamar Wadsworth

Since the Holley has an electric choke, it sounds like its presence will be purely ornamental.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:44 PM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Wadsworth View Post
Since the Holley has an electric choke, it sounds like its presence will be purely ornamental.
More pictures of the pieces everyone else mentioned.
If you're not using the hot air setup and the long thin tube thru the exhaust crossover under the carburetor has rusted thru, you'll get exhaust blowing out of the small holes on both ends, where the oem fittings would connect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 intake ECZ-B choke air in.jpg (104.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg intake, choke heat tube, bottom, copy.jpg (69.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg choke heat tube, copy.jpg (80.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg choke heat tube kit.jpg (36.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-25-2021 at 10:59 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:05 AM   #15
Brushwolf

I do not recall one way or the other, but am wondering if your 272 1955 heads have smaller ports to align with the 55-56 four barrel intake.

I also have a late (57) 4 barrel intake, the late 3 deuce Edelbrock (557) and at least one late 2 barrel intake (also a larger base 2 barrel) and some late (57 up) G heads around here.

Think I discarded all the early heads, pickup motor heads and 2 barrel intakes when I moved. Could not give them away or they were sold along with motors. The early 4 barrel intake for 55-56 was small carb base and the 57 was same as current 4 barrels, as is widely known.

But in addition to Ford changing their intake for the 4 barrel in 57, Edelbrock had also issued 2 different 3 deuce intakes for early and late Y block. Why would they have done that if they are the same size ports? They issued both a 553 and a 557 aluminum versions, I believe. Presumably those were designed for 54 to 56 and 57 up. I had a 553 also, but sold it and do not recall how they differed.

I would expect that the late intake probably bolts on any year heads but the head ports could be different. The late intake was designed for the "G" large valve 57 heads. Someone on here knows for sure though I imagine. I could measure ports on a late intake or head, but have no early ones left to compare with.
Brushwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Post Re: Y block intake swap

Here 'ya go -

SOURCE - http://m571.com/yblock/intake.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FYB - Intake Manifold EDEL 3X2.jpg (19.9 KB, 72 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #17
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwolf View Post
I do not recall one way or the other, but am wondering if your 272 1955 heads have smaller ports to align with the 55-56 four barrel intake.

I also have a late (57) 4 barrel intake, the late 3 deuce Edelbrock (557) and at least one late 2 barrel intake (also a larger base 2 barrel) and some late (57 up) G heads around here.

Think I discarded all the early heads, pickup motor heads and 2 barrel intakes when I moved. Could not give them away or they were sold along with motors. The early 4 barrel intake for 55-56 was small carb base and the 57 was same as current 4 barrels, as is widely known.

But in addition to Ford changing their intake for the 4 barrel in 57, Edelbrock had also issued 2 different 3 deuce intakes for early and late Y block. Why would they have done that if they are the same size ports? They issued both a 553 and a 557 aluminum versions, I believe. Presumably those were designed for 54 to 56 and 57 up. I had a 553 also, but sold it and do not recall how they differed.

I would expect that the late intake probably bolts on any year heads but the head ports could be different. The late intake was designed for the "G" large valve 57 heads. Someone on here knows for sure though I imagine. I could measure ports on a late intake or head, but have no early ones left to compare with.

'55 and '56 heads had the same sized ports. '57 is when the intake ports got larger in the heads and intake. The ECZ-B '57 intake will still work on a '55 and '56 head. The '54 heads are the ones that are with extra small ports and will not work.

Sal
Old 03-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #18
Brushwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
'55 and '56 heads had the same sized ports. '57 is when the intake ports got larger in the heads and intake. The ECZ-B '57 intake will still work on a '55 and '56 head. The '54 heads are the ones that are with extra small ports and will not work.

Sal
Knew someone had the exact info on this. Although it will bolt on, you will have a port mis-match with the 55 heads..
Old 03-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #19
Brushwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Here 'ya go -

SOURCE - http://m571.com/yblock/intake.htm
Yup, them's the ones... I had read also that the 573 was the best flowing 3 deuce Y block intake generally available..
Old 03-25-2021, 08:17 PM   #20
Brushwolf

And you definitely do want to use the later distributor with it..