Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #21
Dobie Gillis

Wink Re: 2 barrel carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
I guess we'll just leave it at that. I retired from Ford Powertrain Engineering (engine calibration) and with all the emissions regulations and EPA law suits against auto companies, something like that would not be done. I guess I'm basing my opinion on the way it's done now.

Sal
Yup, that was then and this is now. The Feds didn't even require Maroney stickers on new vehicles until sometime in the mid fitties. I'm a retired parts and service guy, OEM and aftermarket. I'm just glad we don't get all the government we pay for...
Old 09-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #22
coleminer

Default Re: 2 barrel carb

I'm looking for a good, rebuildable ECG for my '55. 272 engine.
coleminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #23
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleminer View Post
I'm looking for a good, rebuildable ECG for my '55. 272 engine.
I don't have one, but EBAY and Charlie ny on the Ford Barn are good sources. I've seen them for sale in the swap meet section before too.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #24
Daves55Sedan

Hey, I just thought of something else relative to this business about the '54/'55 EBU carburator usage.
In 1954, the 239 Y-block had an oil-bath air cleaner that was a little taller, not quite as big around and did not have any type of air dam at the top like the '55 Ford oil bath air cleaner did.
Also the '54 air cleaner was painted black and the decal had a silver background, black letteringand white accents, while the '55 air cleaner was painted Argent Silver and the decal had black lettering with red accents and a creme colored background.
The two air cleaners appeared different, not only because of the color scheme, decal, difference in height, but most prominently, the '55 air cleaner had an air dam stamped into the front top portion of the top drum.
Either air cleaner will sit perfectly upon the air horn of an EBU carburator.
I suspect, that the height of the '54 air cleaner may have been too close to the underside of the hood on a '55 car, so they created a '55 only design.
The '56 cars with ECG carbs had a larger air horn throat and yet another different air cleaner, this time instead of having the air dam stamped into the top, they simply curved and angled piece and resistance welded it on top. These too were painted silver and appeared to be the same size as the '55 air cleaner, but with a larger opening at the bottom to fit the ECG.
It was not possible to use an EBU air cleaner on a ECG or vise versa, they wouldn't fit.
Also it appears that the '54 and '55 air cleaners can handle the same amount of air volume ('55 is larger in diameter, but is shallower than the '54).
So here's the 60 million dollar question; why did Fomoco make a special air-cleaner for the '55 272 when the '54 air-cleaner certainly fits the EBU carb UNLESS EBU carbs were carried over into the '55 model year.
Suggested answers:
1) The '54 air cleaner fit the EBU, but came to close to the bottom of the hood, so they feared the intake wouldn't get enough air, so they made a shallower air-cleaner and added the air dam,
2) The '54 air-cleaner would have been great, but they just wanted to add the air dam. (I seriously doubt this one)
3) The '54 air-cleaner would have worked even without the air dam, they just wanted a new color and new decal. (I seriously doubt this one)
Just adding a little food for thought to the doubters.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #25
1942deluxe

I have a ECG carb with manual choke, marked 1 1/16 Ford and F. It was either NOS or a Ford reman from when I had my Ford dealership in Iowa. will need rebuilt. It's available if someone needs it.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
55blacktie

It could be that everybody is right, and nobody is wrong. Even in the 90s, Ford used whatever was left in the parts bin whenever there was a transition or parts were in short supply. As you have discovered, it can lead to confusion, even quarrels, when it comes time to repair or replace.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #27
54vicky

the 54 air cleaner is red not black
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #28
JeffB2

Quote:
The ECG 5 carb with manual choke is what came on '55 272's originally. Will work fine on your '56 272.

The EBU as stated above looks like it may have been used as overflow for early '55 272's but in my eyes it was wrong to do.

Sal
I think that one thing many of us have learned about 50's Fords that old Henry being very frugal loved to use up older parts first and that also could be the fact that in the 50's there were more assembly plants and what they had on hand to complete the assembly.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #29
Fortunateson

All '56 cars had automatic choke, right? First year for auto choke. '55 and earlier years were all manual choke.[/QUOTE]

I have a '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria which is all original but waiting its turn for restoration. It came with a matching style choke knob on the dash so unless it was added from a ? then I don't think all '56s had automatic chokes. I've never seen another. Did the 272s have manual chokes?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #30
Dobie Gillis

My '55 Merc had an exhaust heated automatic choke. It was built late in the '55 model year.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #31
scicala

All '55 Merc's had 4 barrel carbs with auto chokes. A different set up from the two barrel carbs. All US '56 fords with a two barrel 272 or a four barrel had auto chokes. However the single barrel carb on the '56 still used a manual choke. That's probably why the Meteor above had a choke knob.

Sal
Old 10-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #32
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
All '56 cars had automatic choke, right? First year for auto choke. '55 and earlier years were all manual choke.
I meant to say; 55 and earlier cars with 2-bbl carbs all had manual choke. But the '55 272, 182 Hp engine with 4-bbl intake had automatic choke. An easy way to tell which engine the car had was to look at the dashboard where the choke knob usually is, if there was a plastic block-out at that location, then the car had the 182 Hp engine.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #33
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
the single barrel carb on the '56 still used a manual choke.Sal
Ford started using the Holley 1904 in '52 for the 215 I-block 6-cyl and carried it over for the later 223 I-block engines through the late '50's. To my knowledge they all had manual choke on Fords until maybe late '50's.
Holley made several variations of this carburator and several makes of cars used these (international Harvester, Rambler and who knows what else, maybe Jeep). Holley did make a automatic choke version of this carburator, but I don't think it came out until the 60's. The choke was in the back.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #34
scicala

The first Holley 1 barrel carb with an automatic choke was on the 1960 Mercury Comet. I know in 1960 Ford 6 cylinders still had manual chokes. Not sure when they went to automatic. Pretty sure in '65 the Mustang 6 cylinders had auto chokes.

Sal
Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #35
Gene F

Quote:
The first Holley 1 barrel carb with an automatic choke was on the 1960 Mercury Comet. I know in 1960 Ford 6 cylinders still had manual chokes. Not sure when they went to automatic. Pretty sure in '65 the Mustang 6 cylinders had auto chokes.

Sal
With that little clamp that held the heater house to the housing. A neet little invention.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:12 AM   #36
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 2 barrel carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSRTUDOR View Post

Trying to upload a picture of my carburetor

Talk about setting off my vertigo ...

... sheesh ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote