Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Fatheads4ever

Default Ford 59A pcv valve... errr

Hi All.. now that my engine is in bits waiting for its new pistons etc, I've been pondering with the idea of installing a PCV valve.
Here's what I'm proposing to do.

Drill and tap the intake manifold to fit the valve.
Blank off the sump vent.
The crank case will be able to draw air through the fuel pump riser cap.
I'll be able to plumb the pcv valve from the manifold to the base of the carb where the vacuum wiper port is. This is blanked off as I have fitted a electric wiper.
I could also install a old oil filter housing in the vacuum line to basically scrub any potential muck before entering back into the combustion chambers.

What do you think?
Fatheads4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
hotcoupe

Default Re: Ford 59A pcv valve... errr

I did exactly that sometime ago, here's the linkhttps://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289882
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
I did exactly that sometime ago, here's the linkhttps://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289882
Hotcoupe very ingenuitive. Link fix: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289882

Fatheads4ever, the search function on here can be lacking at best. I find it works best just to do a Google search but include "fordbarn" after you've typed what your looking for, example: "59a pvc fordbarn". You will find many more relevant results. Worth a look as different folks have different solutions/methods for the same thing.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
Fatheads4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
Hotcoupe very ingenuitive. Link fix: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289882

Fatheads4ever, the search function on here can be lacking at best. I find it works best just to do a Google search but include "fordbarn" after you've typed what your looking for, example: "59a pvc fordbarn". You will find many more relevant results. Worth a look as different folks have different solutions/methods for the same thing.
Thanks Will D
I've difficulty navigating my way round searching for posts especially my own.
Regards Kevin
Old 06-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Fatheads4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
Great stuff hotcoupe thankyou
Old 06-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
hotcoupe

Thanx, WillD for straightening that link out for me.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
Bored&Stroked

If it was mine, I'd rework the front breather tube (the one that is in the front of the block (inside the valley area) that brings crankcase vapors to the pan vent) to add a pcv valve to it. (Making sure the valve is in the correct orientation - which is not sideways).

The tube can be pulled out of the block and then fabricated/welded to add the pcv valve into it. The top of this tube is then blocked off.

Note: You would probably weld up a 90 degree type of "bung" to the side of it - keeping the pcv valve in the vertical position it is designed to work in.

The reason you want to put the valve here is that it will pull crankcase vapors from down in the lower end (the crankcase) and not just pull them from the valley area.

Then you modify the intake manifold to route a vacuum line down through the fuel-pump breather stand down into the valley and over to the pcv valve. There are lots of ways to do this - it is more of an aesthetic exercise than anything else. You need a larger vacuum line than what is used for wipers. I'd run a 3/8" ID line - similar to what you'd see on a modern usage of a pcv valve. Another option is to route a line through the manifold up front - which requires drilling a hole in the manifold and using a "bulkhead fitting" - where you'd have a hose on both sides.

Yes, the above is a bit more work, but it would ensure that the pcv valve is actually helping pull combustion and water vapors from the lower crankcase area - something that is quite important if you really want it to work.

Good luck!
D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #8
Bored&Stroked

You know what - I think I had my head screwed on sideways up above! In thinking about it a bit more (after 3 mugs of coffee), that tube directs crankcase vapors DOWN to the pan breather . . . so I'm totally wrong in my thinking - and when you're wrong, you're wrong!.

While it is a good idea to block it off and keep any oil from settling down in the pan breather (and either that or the tube needs to be blocked), one can put the PCV valve about anywhere in that front area of the block to pull crankcase vapors from that front part of the valley.

Sorry guys . . . was a bit confused this AM!
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote