Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #21
flathead34

Default Re: Pat McFarlane RIP

I have known Pat since the mid 70's when I lived in Rochester, NY He was a great friend and always ready help. I will miss seeing him and catching up with him at the National meets. His knowledge of early Ford V-8's spark plugs was extensive. He sold me the '35 engine that was in his '32 roadster, that I put in my first V8, a '35 Tudor Touring Sedan. I and my son Steven will miss him.
Mike Fehniger
flathead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #22
Ol' Ron

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends'
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #23
34billct

In the caravan to TAHOE 2013 on highway 50. Pat a true Gentleman. R.I.P.IMG_1148 (1).jpg
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #24
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of Pat's 1932 Ford Fordor Sedan a long way from home, during the drive to Virginia City, Nevada back in 2013. The photo was taken at the lunch stop at Genoa. Unfortunately, this picture dropped out on my earlier Post.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #25
mercman from oz

In my previous post, that photo is of Pat's 32 Ford Fordor Sedan was taken at Dearborn, in 2018. This is the photo that I should have attached, as it was the one taken at Genoa, Nevada in 2013.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #26
woodiewagon46

My condolences to the McFarlane family. We were out to dinner one night and Pat told us when he was a young man he built a SUBMARINE! I hope someone in his family reads this post and can add to it. He went on to say that he learned of a sunken barge full of lead ingots somewhere in some river. The submarine actually worked, but he never found the lead ingots. That was the kind of man Pat was. I wouldn't know where to start in building a sub and wouldn't have the nerve to go down in it. Rest in peace Pat.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #27
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34billct View Post
In the caravan to TAHOE 2013 on highway 50. Pat a true Gentleman. R.I.P.Attachment 435073

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #28
VeryTangled

I also remember Pat as a huge figure in our hobby.

He once told my Dad and I that he had three engines for "Pat's 32." One was in the car. One was ready to go in. The third was in rebuild.

Another memory I have is in Hiawassee Georgia we were on a train excursion together. Dad & I ended up at the same restaurant for lunch but we didn't eat together, a place called Pat's, if you can believe it! His party left to get the train ride back before mine. As we were leaving his waitress said he'd left a hat. We gladly returned it when we got back to the train. I'll always remember there was a pin on that hat that said "30 Year Member" or something similar. It looked just like the hat he has on in this pic! (Notice the uber-cool Third Gen Automotive t-shirt! Rockin' it like A STAR. Great shot Trevor/Mercman!)

I found a shot of his car from that meet in Ga. in my files... This would have been in '12, the year before the Tahoe run.

Last comment... That lunch in Genoa NV was very enjoyable. And leaving the lunch we climbed the Geiger Grade over the Sierra Nevada range back to Tahoe. Now THAT was a drive I'll never forget. I was lucky to ride shotgun for JM35!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0098.jpg (108.7 KB, 192 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-02-2020 at 06:55 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #29
35fordtn

Jeff,
that's a excellent photo. Likely not long (couple hours) after that photo, Pat gave me a ride in his 32 to pick u a part he bought from me. My daughter was with us. He paid me the small amount for the part. Later that night my daughter (who was 4 at the time) was proud to show off the $5 bill she acquired during the day. It wasn't until three weeks later I learned from Pat that he was the culprit for the mystery $5 dollar bill gift t my daughter. A very minor memory, but one that both sticks out in my mind, and shows the kind of person he was. What a great man he was.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #30
TJ

Pat was a true gentleman and a loyal member of the Early Ford V-8 Club and a supporter of the Early Ford V-8 Foundation. Had the pleasure of judging with him at a couple of V-8 National Meets. Pat always had a smile on his face and never failed to come up to you and talk old Fords and share his knowledge. He was a great friend and is going to be missed by one heck of a lot of people. Thank you Pat for the great memories.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #31
grumppyoldman

He sounds like a person that anyone would like to call a friend. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him, but the hobby has lost a treasure trove of information and a good friend. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #32
Lawson Cox

So sad. I used to enjoy seeing and speaking with Pat at shows and meets all over the country. A true gentleman who will be missed by all who knew him and many who were recipients of his kindness but never knew who he was. RIP Pat.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #33
mercman from oz

Pat McFarlane's 1932 Ford Fordor Sedan on display at the Central Nationals at Auburn, 2009.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #34
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
Pat was a dear friend... His '32 Model B roadster is currently listed on ebay...
Pat
Pat/Ohio, did you have some history with his Model B?

It looks like his road-buddy Mark might be assisting in sending it down the road. He's a good-un' too!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #35
Frank Miller

First time I met Pat or remember meeting him, was in Hiawassee GA when he was flushing his radiator with a hose at the clean up station. I was lucky to be on the Tahoe trip with him as well.
Little known fact. Pat's dad founded the Rolls Royce Club. He had always wanted one and in 1949 he managed to snag a 1929 rolls Royce. It being only 20 years old was not allowed in the AACA. Pat told me that story last year in Indiana. Like all of us here we were I feel lucky to have known him.
And also Pat made a puller for the rear hub that will outdo anything KR Wilson ever made. I saw Mark Moriarty use it to pull a hub for a guy in Gettysburg. The hub made a really loud pop when it finally released.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #36
Cecil/WV

I will certainly miss seeing that '32 at the next EFV8 meet! You could depend on Pat!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #37
mercman from oz

Pat McFarlane's latest project, a 1932 Ford V8 Roadster with Six Wheel Equipment. Check out the beautiful workmanship in these photos. In recent months, friends worked on this car and got it up and running prior to his passing. His passing has left a big hole in his family and the Early Ford V8 Club.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #38
Charlie ny
BANNED

As mentioned Mark Moriarty was very close to Pat for many many years. Mark put everything on hold as Pat's condition became apparent and was the driving force
getting the roadster road worthy.

So glad to have known him,
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #39
Pat/Ohio

I found this picture of Pat, myself, and Mark Moriarty that was taken in Auburn, IN in August of 2015. You'll notice his roadster in the background. What great guys they are (Pat M. & Mark).

Stay Safe!
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7081.jpg (81.0 KB, 49 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #40
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I got my Spark Plugs from Pat. I enjoyed talking with him. I also like reading what all you fellows had to say about him. He is in all our hearts and will be remember a long time down the road. What a pleasure to have known him.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote