Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
leon bee

Default Those Little Bitty V8s

I was picking thru a Ford collection yesterday and there were the heads off one of them. I'm new to the old Fords, but learning a lot pretty quick. Wikipedia, I think explained that that was the V860? Showed a number of foreign makes that used them. What were original Stateside uses for that engine? I read about them in midget racers.

I want one! Lord knows why, but really struck by them.
leon bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Those Little Bitty V8s

They came about in '37 and were around through '40. Ford claimed they were the "economy" V8 engine. They are rather anemic. Personally I'd stick with the 221-239ci flatheads.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
MGG

My grandfather owned two GE welders powered by the V-8 60. I can still remember the roar when you would strike an arc and they would go from idle to full power. Music to my ears.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

A totally different car to drive compared to the 221-239, when climbing a hill downshift to 2nd when it slowed to 45 for the best fuel mileage
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
drolston

I once bought a '37 Ford slant back, just because I thought it was one of the best looking Ford models. Unfortunately, it was powered by a very tired V8 60. Would not pull the hat off your head! In addition to "no go" it also had "no stop" cable brakes. Had three in diapers at that time, so no time or money to resolve those issues. It had to go, and I was out of the flathead game for over 40 years.

Now enjoying my second flathead powered juvenile delinquency with the '41 coupe and '34 pickup.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Fred A

Leon is on to something. Most of the anti-60 stories are of worn 60s, poorly geared, in a car much too heavy for the small engine. Before I went into the service, my nicely done '26T coupe with Model A running gear was reasonable performance wise until the aerodynamics of the T took its toll. I now have a Model A roadster that would be the ideal place for a 60 as long as the frontal area is minimal and the gearing is well planned. Not enough guys consider gearing because they are used to engines with good torque that can get around poor engineering. Just can't get away without a good plan with such a small antique engine. The 60 is number three in the project lineup and may not happen due to age and health, but the experience many years ago should not be wasted. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Fred these stories are not confined to worn out or poorly geared cars. My dad drove a 39 coupe with a v60 that he purchased in the mid-forties. They are marginal at best!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Fred A

Although the '39 V8-60 coupe is not a school bus, which was also available from Ford, it is still too heavy for the little motor. It may have been a little less pathetic in 1939 depending on the environment, but would be quite difficult today. However, if I could find the radiator and the rest of the 60 specific parts, I would put my 022A engine in my '40 coupe just for the novelty. Good Luck: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 08-15-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
corvette8n

V8-60 also used in hydroplanes, here is a link to a lawn tractor powered by one.
https://youtu.be/vZWw5Vl5o3I
Search YouTube for V8 60 you'll find a few. On the HAMB someone has a AV8 powered by one.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Although the '39 V8-60 coupe is not a school bus, which was also available from Ford, it is still too heavy for the little motor. It may have been a little less pathetic in 1939 depending on the environment, but would be quite difficult today. However, if I could find the radiator and the rest of the 60 specific parts, I would put my 022 engine in my '40 coupe just for the novelty. Good Luck: Fred A
Yep, they are definitely a cute engine and would make a nice novelty restoration.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Leon, if you had ever had the pleasure of discussing the merits of these little 60hp flathead V8 engines with Richard Willim before he passed, he would have informed you on how he could easily get 100hp + out of these little babies. He and I had several conversations on this subject about 12 years ago. He inspired me to the point that I wound up buying three of these engines, and one that had been used for hydroplane racing on the Delaware River came with a bunch of NOS components that are quite rare and valuable today. If you can find a copy of Rich's book...."The V8-60 Ford's Little Powerhouse"....snap it up and enjoy the read! Marty Willim, Rich's son was planning to republish this book, but I'm not sure whatever happened to that effort.
I had always hoped to build one of the 60 engines for some type of lightweight hotrod project, but time and energy are running out, so it may never happen.
Leon, I would say go out and find yourself one of these little 60's and have a blast messin' with it . Who knows what it will lead to!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 64-66827.jpeg (92.3 KB, 12 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Be careful of what you wish for you might get it. When someone asks me how much horsepower an engine will produce the first question I ask is how many cubic inches does it have? The V8 60 has 136 cubic inches. The Model A/B engines have 200. The full size flatheads have 221 and up. You are starting way behind the power curve when you start with a V8 60. Speed equipment is comparatively expensive and hard to find. The only time I would use a V8 60 would be if I was restoring a midget racer that originally had one or maybe a boat that originally had one. Also note that these engines were used until the 1960' in I believe the French Vedette and in cars made in Brazil and Argentina. The made a Hemi head version for the South American vehicles. Google "simca vedette engine" for pictures. Look at the pictures and forget the engine.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
tubman

A friend and I rescued one from the junkyard back in the '50's and got it running. We chromed a few parts and polished the rest and it was a good lookin' piece. The next winter my buddy went off to college, and his dad, without asking me, gave it away! If I still had it, I'd make it into a coffee table or something. There's something about them that makes you want to bring them home, even when it's not a good idea. Kinda like a stray puppy.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
leon bee

Might look good in a vintage motorcycle.
leon bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon bee View Post
A while back, there was a company(?) making road cruiser motorcycles with the little V8.

Also, tractors seemed to be a popular place to install the V8-60.

Years ago, I had been bit by the same bug that apparently is still alive an biting. I had a number of the little ford engines all running. Midget racers were very active then and ended up with my engines.

Although I had set several of these little engines into my A roadster frame, my better judgment ruled out....for warmed up '32 B engines !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #16

To each his own. I love my V8 60's. The one in my all original never restored 37 Tudor brings more attention at any car gathering than the most blinged out bigger cubic inch flathead every time. There is just something about them that most car enthusiasts love. I've collected another (4) just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORDS 003.jpg (141.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of FORDS 004.jpg (112.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg FORDS 008.jpg (112.8 KB, 49 views)
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #17
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon bee View Post
There are a few in motorcycles.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v8-60fullside.jpg (91.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 60hp-mc.jpg (84.3 KB, 38 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3738 View Post
To each his own. I love my V8 60's. The one in my all original never restored 37 Tudor brings more attention at any car gathering than the most blinged out bigger cubic inch flathead every time. There is just something about them that most car enthusiasts love. I've collected another (4) just for fun.
Have you taken any of them apart ?
One of the weirdest/oddest 'things' that I ever found on a flathead (in this case a V8-60), was a leather piece used as a rod bearing ! And, in same engine, some bronze shim material used behind mains...this I thought was good common senseical use
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #19
jim galli

I have a running '38 Standard coupe with V8-60. I bought the headers and exhaust from Red's. May not go fast but it surely sounds pretty. I also have 2 model A's and have been in the "A" hobby for over 50 years. So I know how Model A's run. The V8 60 is for someone who lived in a small town and never planned to go faster than 45 mph for very long stretches. I can see little old ladies put putting to church in one of these and loving it. From 0 - 40 it's as peppy or peppier than a stock Model A. And they don't mind being revved, so higher speeds, I've driven mine 55 - 60 on the highway but with 4.44 gears they're really singing at that speed. Come to the next hill and the Model A might just catch up and pass. Plus the A doesn't overheat and I dare not drive the 60 far on a hot day.

Originally I planned to swap it for an 85 or better. But the coupe is a survivor original and I don't have the heart to change it. Right now I'm converting to an Eddie Meyer dual intake with correct I6 single barrel Holley carbs and same mfr finned heads. I wonder if it would make enough power to think about a 25% overdrive.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #20
flatford8

I saw one in a motorcycle at Rhinebeck bike swap meet. I thought it looked awesome!...I'd love to have one just to own a peice if history. ..... I've heard Walt Dupont say "if they even smell a hill they start slowing down"...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote