Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Grounding the Horn

I am tryiong to improve the sound of sthe horn. I can see from the schematic that power to the horn comes off the generator. Then the generator is looking for a ground through the round circuit board in the light switch and then up the steering column to the horn button. My question is where is the ground connection made after the horn button switch. Can you get to it? Thank you, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Grounding the Horn

there should be a brass bushing in the top ---between the steering shaft abd light rod, and a spring at the bottom
inside the horn button there is a steel spring that connects the disc on the backside of the button that connects it to the light switch lever----center contact--brass disc--spring--aluminum lever---steel shaft is the path to ground ----and the steering gear to frame

my car gets a different ground depending on how i move the button, I use it to make different sounds during parades by pushing on different areas of the button

have you measured the voltage drop to ground at the horn when operating the button
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
jw hash

your horn rod itself is the ground. they do make a little relay that goes inside the horn cover that give you a better ground when you push your horn button. Snyder`s has them part#A-13820
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Older horns made before the use of relays, use the ground as the operating control. The horn has power to it all the time on one side of the motor. The other side is the ground switch wire. Whether the horn body itself is grounded or not is not all that important.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
mike657894

I noticed my horn button was starting to fail. So I added a relay. Straightened out the problem with out having to take anything apart. Im on 12v so that was probably cooking the button contact. Horn button has no problem operating the switch leg of the relay now.

What horn are you using? are you 12v or 6v. If 12v a ballast resistor will give 6v sound but will heat up and smoke if the horn is blown for a long time. I noticed this when tuning mine.

Last edited by mike657894; 03-21-2020 at 12:48 PM.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote