Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
brett4christ

Default Who has the best Tillotson rebuild kit?

I have a Tillotson Model X that I need to rebuild for my A Tudor. Who makes/carries the best rebuild kit?
brett4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Who has the best Tillotson rebuild kit?

[B Don't wurry about the best kit, jist wurry about the SKILL of MR. GOODWRENCH---LOL-LOL-LOL.
Bill Laffin'[/B]
Old 05-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
frank mcdaniels

I don’t think it makes much difference where you get a rebuild kit.Read the threads on doing it,theres lots of them. Because the body of the carb is pot metal there prone to warping There’s lots of good info in the threads to work on solving those types of problems When I was a kid you could buy a new tillotson at the coast to coast store for 15 bucks. Those were the good old days. Good luck,Frank
frank mcdaniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
gilitos

Bill, you hit that nail dead on the head.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
brett4christ

Thanks, guys. Just wanted to get the best kit i could so I only have to do this once.

I'll be reading all I can and watching all the online instructions I can find before I dive in to this one. (OR...Mr. Mehwrench will be going to tech school on this one!)

Now, having that question answered, Is Tillotson a good choice? I have a Zenith core, but I read somewhere that the Tilley runs better. Should I rebuild the Zenith?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
chrs1961815

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett4christ View Post
Thanks, guys. Just wanted to get the best kit i could so I only have to do this once.

I'll be reading all I can and watching all the online instructions I can find before I dive in to this one. (OR...Mr. Mehwrench will be going to tech school on this one!)

Now, having that question answered, Is Tillotson a good choice? I have a Zenith core, but I read somewhere that the Tilley runs better. Should I rebuild the Zenith?
This has been discussed many times before but what it basically comes down to is your preference. The Tilly and Marvel were aftermarket carbs that would never pass judging if that is what your goal is. They do hold more gas than a zenith and give you better gas mileage on most cars. Every car is different so the results may not be the same. Many people run Zeniths and have no problems. They are stock and have worked for the past 90 years for the most part. They are more complicated and sensitive than the aftermarket carbs so have a good rebuilder rebuild it if you go that route. Also with the aftermarket carbs, they are potmetal so some have warped over the years (more tilly's than Marvel's) so you have to be careful.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Roxo

I was going to rebuild my Tillotson Model X until I backed out the screws just to watch the top warp so bad there was no putting it back together.
Then I found a guy on ebay for $205 with shipping a rebuilt Tillotson or marvel carburetor.
I purchased his marvel carburetor and love it. Runs as good or better then the tillotson. He goes through great lengths to straighten the top half then machines the two halfs for a perfect fit, rebuilds them and road test them.
I did not need to make any adjustments, Just install it and go.
His name is JR Bullock out of Texarkana Texas, (903) 708-8299. On ebay his name is Jrb10134. He is a great guy and will answer any Questions you have, give him a call.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tillotson-M...QAAOSwlTZcx0Fb

Dale
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
brett4christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
This has been discussed many times before but what it basically comes down to is your preference. The Tilly and Marvel were aftermarket carbs that would never pass judging if that is what your goal is. They do hold more gas than a zenith and give you better gas mileage on most cars. Every car is different so the results may not be the same. Many people run Zeniths and have no problems. They are stock and have worked for the past 90 years for the most part. They are more complicated and sensitive than the aftermarket carbs so have a good rebuilder rebuild it if you go that route. Also with the aftermarket carbs, they are potmetal so some have warped over the years (more tilly's than Marvel's) so you have to be careful.
Thanks. I'm not after judging marks, I'm just looking for a good-running carb. I'm building a war-era hot rod. My Tudor WILL have a "B" police head and maybe (or maybe not) a Mallory distributor. I'll drive it for a while, then maybe add a few other goodies.

Sounds like the Tillotson is where I'm headed. I ave checked fitment of upper to lower and know I'll have to true the surfaces. It appears that the top is the warped piece, so I'll have to take care with a fine file to get it flat.

I'll check back in as I progress....Wish me luck!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

Make that B head sing..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
brett4christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Make that B head sing..
I have a stash of Holley 94's, but I've had several comment that I would be over-carbing with nothing more than a head swap. More carb calls for more cam and more intake flow (valves), and I don't want to go that deep just yet.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
WHN

60 years of experience.

I would either get a well rebuilt or new Zenith carburetor.

That would be one more potential problem taken care of. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
brett4christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
I was going to rebuild my Tillotson Model X until I backed out the screws just to watch the top warp so bad there was no putting it back together.

Then I found a guy on ebay for $205 with shipping a rebuilt Tillotson or marvel carburetor.

I purchased his marvel carburetor and love it. Runs as good or better then the tillotson. He goes through great lengths to straighten the top half then machines the two halfs for a perfect fit, rebuilds them and road test them.

I did not need to make any adjustments, Just install it and go.

His name is JR Bullock out of Texarkana Texas, (903) 708-8299. On ebay his name is Jrb10134. He is a great guy and will answer any Questions you have, give him a call.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tillotson-M...QAAOSwlTZcx0Fb

Dale

That number is disconnected. Got another one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
brett4christ

So, there seems to be a third option (without changing a bunch)...Marvel/Schebler!!!

Does anyone currently have one running? Do you like it? Would you do it again?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
chrs1961815

Quote:
So, there seems to be a third option (without changing a bunch)...Marvel/Schebler!!!

Does anyone currently have one running? Do you like it? Would you do it again?
I just bought an original one from 1928 at a swap meet on Sunday morning and took it apart (while taking pictures for re-assembly because I have never even rebuilt a carburetor). Cleaned all the parts with dish soap and water. All the jets and passages were clear. Reassembled it with new gaskets and rings and threw it on the car. Thing ran great. Now the carb I got was in great shape. It was very clean inside surprisingly. But it is hard to have a Marvel that doesn't work. Much more simpler than others.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #15
Redbird

When you take your Tillotson apart check to see if both surfaces meet all the way around. Mine was warped and leaking gas. I clamped and baked in the oven to get all surfaces square. Search "Tillotson float level" thread.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
Roxo

Quote:
That number is disconnected. Got another one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sorry my mistake Jr's number is 903-748-8299
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
I have a stash of Holley 94's, but I've had several comment that I would be over-carbing with nothing more than a head swap. More carb calls for more cam and more intake flow (valves), and I don't want to go that deep just yet.
Science is science,it trumps comments.Model A engine CFM and single Holley 94/stromberg 97 CFM flow are very close..Jetted correctly with the right power valve it meets the engines air flow capacity spot on,yielding the engines best performance. What you are planning to do is noble,but you're denying yourself one of the two areas that has the most impact on the model a's engine performance,compression and fuel.You're raising compression,raise fuel..and do something about exhaust,a straight pipe with a resonator off the model a exhaust manifold will let it breathe some.

http://www.rennerscorner.com/index.html

renners corner for tillotson pars
Old 05-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
Ruth

Quote:
Pretty sure that's a Stromberg in your picture.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
brett4christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Not MY picture!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
97 EE1..jet them at 45,power valve @65..perfect..big valves? Nah..cam? If you do it,it helps..but the 97 will work great with a stock A and a 5.2 head.Slapping a tillotson on will work too,just wont be much..