Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2017, 03:58 AM   #21
Mark from Australia

Default Re: 1932 VIN Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Slater View Post
Mark 50292 is not a 4 cylinder engine or VIN number. Canadian 4 cylinder numbers would be something like CBTF 1234. For example the CBTF range would start at CBTF 1 to CBTF 5000 it would not be six digits. In the US the engine number was to be stamped on the chassis rail ie 18-12345. There have been several cases where some of the assembly lines sometimes missed the prefix, therefore that is most likely why you have 50292 stamped on your rail OR somebody has ground off the original chassis number and re stamped this new number? Dave
Dave, maybe I should have said there are 7 numbers 50292## not ** as I wrote above, where I have not displayed the last two digits.
Mark from Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #22
DavidG

Your seven digit engine number is indeed within the range of U.S.-built 1932 fours and would have normally had an AB prefix as indicated above (not ABB as you state that you have three sets of that number which is indicative of a passenger car frame as the commercial frames only had one set of numbers in theory).

Only '32 V8 engines used in Australian production were manufactured in Canada, not the fours which were manufactured in England and were numbered using blocks of engine numbers assigned by Dearborn from the 5XXXXXX series used in the U.S.. This sourcing quirk was another example of the patterns resulting from Commonwealth trade preferences. Given the delayed 1932 model Job #1 in Australia, likely those fours would have been manufactured after the A was dropped from the prefix (and normally would have an F added to the prefix to designate RHD).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
whizzernick

MY 1933 early phaeton #82 has a frame number *18-175000* the number is on front middle and rear, just like all my other cars that i have done ground up restorations.
any idea why ?
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #24
DavidG

Other than the fact that those were Ford's instructions for stamping the numbers on passenger car frames, it serves as something of an ultimate test if a vehicle is stolen.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #25
Mark from Australia

Here's the first few numbers on my frame - definitely no starts or letters.

All three sets of numbers are the same
Attached Images
File Type: jpg number.jpg (49.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #26
Chris

I just bought a frame with a three digit vin, like "18-***", with a star on each end, and stamped in two places. so I'm assuming that is a very early production frame?
Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #27
DavidG

Likely very early; does it have the 'K' legs on the center cross member and if so, are they bolted in or riveted? Also, does it have two pairs of three holes (one large hole bookended with two smaller bolt holes) in the vertical surface of the center cross member for attaching the engine steady rods or just one pair without the large center hole for the steady rod to pass through the cross member?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #28
APDAVE

I have a 32 with the C18D prefix are the vins stamped in the same places as US versions, there is one on the K member, I haven't located the front one or rear one! APDAVE
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #29
DavidG

They were supposed to be, but variations from those instructions abound, especially on chassis of Ford of Canada subsidiaries (Australia, South Africa, etc.), such as yours.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #30
APDAVE

Thank You David!
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #31
Mark from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Likely very early; does it have the 'K' legs on the center cross member and if so, are they bolted in or riveted? Also, does it have two pairs of three holes (one large hole bookended with two smaller bolt holes) in the vertical surface of the center cross member for attaching the engine steady rods or just one pair without the large center hole for the steady rod to pass through the cross member?
I just got the frame as a pair of rails, so I cannot answer these questions