Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
ahshoe

Default Which PS fluid

I have a new rebuilt Eaton power steering pump and all new power steering stock items under my 61 Galaxie. Question : I have 2 different ATF quarts on my fluid shelf. I know both are for older Ford "automatic" trans. One says Type FA other says Type F. Which one should I use for my new Eaton PS system. Or is there no difference?
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: Which PS fluid

TYPE F fluid was not introduced until the 1968 model year. Original spec most likely called for TYPE A/TYPE A SUFFIX A which has evolved to DEXRON III.

Did the REMAN say what fluid to use?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-17-2020 at 10:51 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
oldbugger

Default Re: Which PS fluid

1968? really learn something new ever day
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Well technically, 1967 as it was intended for use in the 1968 models.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Ole Don

The system is so simple, I would think any clean ATF would work. If my memory serves me, I think my 55 with stock P/S has a little of each.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Cool Re: Which PS fluid

OP,

I don't think I would throw just anything into a PS SYSTEM, especially freshly rebuilt. There are different lubricity and additive package requirements.

Both ATF and PS fluid for this period was TYPE A - SUFFIX A. It has been upgraded (design progressions) many times over the years.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
ahshoe

Now I am more confused....type F or type FA.Anybodh just fill a nee Eaton pump Ford 60's system
Old 04-23-2020, 02:33 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahshoe View Post

Now I am more confused....type F or type FA.Anybodh just fill a nee Eaton pump Ford 60's system
DEXRON III or any GM SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT FOR DEXRON III

Buy it fresh and make sure the refiner has a license from GM - listed on bottle) to offer the correct fluid.

I never figured out what TYPE FA was.

FORD went to MERCON V and pulled the license for any previous MERCON oil. MERCON V is a synthetic blend and is suggested for all previous MERCON applications.

Be careful of imitations.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #9
oldbugger

Sooo, dextron III and type A are compatable?
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post

Sooo, dextron III and type A are compatable?
TYPE A was discontinued decades ago. Progression development over the years has resulted in DEXRON III (GM) as the service replacement.

MERCON (FOMOCO) unique to FORD applications has resulted in MERCON V, a partial synthetic, called out for all previous MERCON applications.

Rule of thumb- TYPE F can be used in early GM DEXRON(S) application(s) but not visa-versa.

It is even more confusing now as TRANS are sourced from all over the world and require their own unique lubricants.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Maybe this will help understanding FORD ATF -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MERCON..._%22A%22_Fluid

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #12
ahshoe

I still hate to put the newest available PS fluid like Mercon V in a 1961 stock (rebuilt and NOS parts) system. So with what I have new quart wise on my shelf from awhile back are Type F and type FA...with that in mind which of these two would be best for my system?
Old 04-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: Which PS fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahshoe View Post

I still hate to put the newest available PS fluid like Mercon V in a 1961 stock (rebuilt and NOS parts) system. So with what I have new quart wise on my shelf from awhile back are Type F and type FA...with that in mind which of these two would be best for my system?
Neither. How old is that oil?

DEXRON III (GM based) is the replacement. The only current use I know of for TYPE A (and this used whale oil until the use was outlawed) is for a gear box on certain bikes.

I can't help you any further. Maybe someone else can help you. Ol' Don had the answer, just dump anything into it.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
ahshoe

Thought anyone?
Old 04-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #15
39deluxecp

IHC hytrans fluid
39deluxecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Type F and Type FA are the same specification. Power steering likely won't care what's in there like a transmission would but I hesitate to mix ATF types. If it had type F (FA) then it would be wise to keep it that way unless it is completely drained. If the system is empty then you can use any type that is available to you.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #17
KULTULZ

Question Re: Which PS fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

Type F and Type FA are the same specification.
On what do you base this claim?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Quote:
FA - FORD AUTOMATIC and POWER STEERING FLUID - PART NO. C1AZ 19582-A, C, D
FORD OIL AND LUBRICATION GUIDE - VOL 69-ST-15

(A-B-C-D) were TYPE A SUFFIX A FORD SPECIFIC blend progression in 1959-1960 - All were TYPE A)

In 1959, FORD blended it's own version of GM TYPE A SUFFIX A. I think it was called FA (I never saw that description) to differentiate it from GM TYPE A - SUFFIX A. Final version was D for the 1961 model run.

There was also an FA released in 1980 or thereabouts for the C5. It was backwards compatible with TYPE F but did not replace it as you can still buy it from FORD today.

EDIT -

The above statements are not correct. Please ignore. Source not verified.

I see FA on independent refiners packaging (and didn't pay any attention to it) but never saw it on FORD packaging.

While researching this, I came across some of the strangest stories and claims imaginable.

I hate 'OL WIVES TALES ... They just keep on going ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-28-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
rotorwrench

The first time I ran into type F/A I was thinking, what the hell is this, so it checked further and it is a conglomeration of variations of the Type F. Type A and Type F are and have been considered obsolete for some time and as such, they are no longer regulated. In other words, you can mark them however you want to if your in the business of marketing ATF unless someone has a trademark on the type. I think it's an iteration of type F and type A grafted together but I can't prove anything since few even show the Ford specification numbers on them any more. They can avoid trademark infringement problems if they change the lettering.

The type F was developed as a high friction fluid for Ford transmissions that were manufactured before a certain date (replaces type A and type B) or those that have the ESW-M2C33-F spec stamped on the dip stick. It works well in certain type fluid pumps too. Any Ford transmission that has metal clutch plates can benefit from having a fluid with high friction characteristics. Some drag racers like to use it for harder lock up on launch in any transmission from GM to Mopar.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-27-2020 at 12:16 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Quote:
The type F was developed as a high friction fluid for Ford transmissions that were manufactured before a certain date (replaces type A and type B)
TYPE F was not a replacement for any DEXRON (GM trade name) - MERCON based ATF.

- DISCLAIMER -