Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Daddysearly30pickup

Default Early 30 Pickup questions

Hello All,

Just pulled out my Daddy's early 30 pickup after being in storage since 1968. It came out of North Dakota around 1960 and was a barn find at the time. Trying to get it going so he can enjoy driving it again. (he's soon to be 87) This will not be a restoration as time is a factor so getting it mechanically sound is the priority. It is an early 30 (will have to get serial number and include later) Confirming clues are square corner cab, hood, radiator, etc. Transitional items include screw-on radiator cap but it has a 1/4 turn gas cap on the early style tank.

One principal I'd like to stick with is that whatever I do be period correct so later restoration is easier.

What is the best source of information? The Judging Standards I have don't seem to mention pickups very often. Is there a better book or resource for the details?

All the pictures I've seen of "early" 30's have 21" wheels and as a new set of tires is in order I'd like to make sure what is correct. When parked it had a mixture of 1935 16" wheels and 19" later Model A wheels.

Guess that should be enough to get some messages flowing.
Thank you all in advance. I look forward to surprising my Dad in the spring. He has no idea the truck is out of hiding.
Daddysearly30pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Early 30 Pickup questions

In the Judging Standards for information on the cab look in the AA section.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
veggie

Send a message via AIM to veggie Send a message via Yahoo to veggie

DADDY'S pickup

As for the size wheels, all the 30-31 had 19-inch wheels.

Have fun.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
mhsprecher

Great project. Have fun with it. You are doing it for the best reasons. Nothing to add on what is right and what isn't.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Stretch Cab

My early 30 PU is like yours as for the radiator and gas caps. Mine ha 21” wheels and I believe them to be original.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
wrndln

Daddysearly 30 pickup & Stretch Cab,
Do your windshield frames look like the pictures in this post? I acquired my windshield frame a long time ago at a swap meet and don't know it history. I am assuming it is for an early 30 AA truck or CCPU (squarish cab) due to the double cut wind defector ends and the 28/29 style windshield slide arm brackets. It is unusual to see a frame like I have. It doesn't look exactly like a 28/29 frame or a 30/31 frame. Note that is had the tube in the top section for a manual wiper. I want to sell it, but am not 100% sure what it fits. The frame is in excellent condition - no rust-thrus.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pickup windshield frame 2.jpg (124.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Pickup windshield frame 6.jpg (117.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg My 28-29 pickup windshield frame_1.jpg (96.3 KB, 60 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #7
Daddysearly30pickup

Hi Stretch Cab,
So yours has the early style gas tank with later style gas cap? Interesting it has the 21 inch wheels. I'm sure Henry used everything up that he could and lots of variations exist. Makes these things so much more interesting.
Thank you for responding.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddysearly30pickup View Post
Hello All, It is an early 30 (will have to get serial number and include later) Confirming clues are square corner cab, hood, radiator, etc. Transitional items include screw-on radiator cap but it has a 1/4 turn gas cap on the early style tank.

One principal I'd like to stick with is that whatever I do be period correct so later restoration is easier.

What is the best source of information? The Judging Standards I have don't seem to mention pickups very often. Is there a better book or resource for the details?

All the pictures I've seen of "early" 30's have 21" wheels and as a new set of tires is in order I'd like to make sure what is correct.

FYI - A and AA commercial vehicles used 82-A closed cabs into June 1930 (so into mid 1930). June 1930 the 82-B closed cabs started production.

The A chassis had 19" wheels starting January 1930.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
Stretch Cab

Here is a picture of my truck in the color my daughter requested. Son in law at the wheel. The truck has been in the family for almost 49 years. It came off a nearby farm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized.jpg (500.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #10
Daddysearly30pickup

Looks nice,
Will email pics of the one I'm working on. Mine has front fenders with a rib down the side but smooth on the front. Is this what is referred to as an "eyebrow" fender in the Judging Standards?
Thank you
Old 12-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
ryanheacox

I believe the "eyebrow" fenders have the rib all the way around the front. A club member has an early '30 Cabriolet that has those fenders. I am pretty sure he said they were used on the Cabriolet and Pickups.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Looks nice,
Will email pics of the one I'm working on. Mine has front fenders with a rib down the side but smooth on the front. Is this what is referred to as an "eyebrow" fender in the Judging Standards?
Thank you

Your vehicle has the 82-A cab and therefore came with the sheet metal (shell, hood, fenders, aprons, shields) as used on 1929 vehicles. Your front fenders should be the design 4 (April 1929 - June 1930) fenders - see https://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-16000-fenders/#s1ff

Note that this is an AA truck site. But your front fenders were used on both the A and AA chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-16006 q8.jpg (34.3 KB, 59 views)

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #13
Daddysearly30pickup

Good morning All,
Some additional questions.
Where can I find correct paint codes for Rock Moss Green and the Black used for Model A's?

Are there dimensions available for pickup floor boards?

Was there a wood frame under the seat springs?

For a November 1929 pickup, what is the correct bumper? Currently mine has the straight variety.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you
Old 12-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
Joe K

The paint codes are referenced at any of the paint sources commonly used for automobiles - but accuracy may be better served by getting a paint chip chart from the Model A suppliers and having it "scanned." You can compare the results with the scan/code the interchange offers and decide which to your eye looks closer to the paint chip. The paint chip IS the standard for judging.

The floor boards are the same floor boards used for any Model A of that time period. These are available in plywood from any of the Model A sources - although for your pickup you MAY have had floorboards constructed using the (so called) "Linderman" construction which is usually maple strips, joined together using an unusual dovetail arrangement (Ford's way of using up scraps of wood it is thought.) The plywood work fine, are covered by floor mats anyway, and for your late 29 pickup may have been original.

Dimensions of the floor boards for DIY construction are shown in "How to Restore Your Model A" book, I think 7th installment, but you can look up ALL the articles at the online index at https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Inde...2Index-all.pdf. The books run about $15 each and provide valuable detail information and techniques for restoring your car.

The lower seat spring frame for the 82A pickup is a metal frame with one (I believe) wood stretcher side to side on the incline. The wood stretcher is screwed to the frame using four (total) round head wood screws and the frame is riveted to the floor of the cab. The metal frame is reproduced.

The seat back is wood strips and bolts to the cab back and lower frame of the seat. The seat backs are available as a "kit" although the design is simple and if you have a pix and a tablesaw you can make your own. There are unusual "clips" for holding the seat spring which were (at least on mine) designed to "puncture" the seat back fabric at the bottom and catch style retainers on the top.

The correct bumper is the 28-29 pattern with the extra "curve" at the ends but otherwise straight. For the pickup almost always no rear bumper or even the frame to carry it.

Another book on the Model A which for you is a MUST HAVE is "Restoring the Model A Pickup" by Mack Hils. Can be bought online from the various Model A sources but one is at https://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Mod.../dp/B003LDQX86

Hope this helps. Model A parts make MOST EXCELLENT Christmas gifts to the wife.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 12-18-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
FYI - A and AA commercial vehicles used 82-A closed cabs into June 1930 (so into mid 1930). June 1930 the 82-B closed cabs started production.

The A chassis had 19" wheels starting January 1930.
Neil is correct. Please listen to Neil. Trucks were treated differently in the changeover from the 28-29 model details to the 30-31 details, by about 6 months.

Priority was given to cars.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
Jim/GA

Quote:
Good morning All,
Some additional questions.
Where can I find correct paint codes for Rock Moss Green and the Black used for Model A's?

Are there dimensions available for pickup floor boards?

Was there a wood frame under the seat springs?

For a November 1929 pickup, what is the correct bumper? Currently mine has the straight variety.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you
Instead of painting things, the truck may look better with the patina of an unrestored vehicle. It can be mechanically very sound and reliable, but still look like an old barn find. Something to consider.

You really should get a copy of the Restoration Guidelines. They will answer most of your questions. This book is not just for people that are restoring a vehicle for fine-point judging. They are for anyone, like you, that wants to try to keep things as correct as possible, without going crazy.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #17
Joe K

Plus 1 on Jim/GA.

Another aspect is that the truck line is where Ford frequently "used up" parts which were "blems" or non-acceptable to the car line. It is thought the black radiator shell are "painted over" nickle shells where the plating was imperfect.

Also finding black painted dash escutcheon (surround around the speedo & gas gauge) and black e-brake levers and gearshift levers.

The painted finish on truck body parts was not nearly as much "rubbed out" and modern "grape peel" and other surface defects was not addressed. If the body showed color it was considered "good enough for a truck" by many of the assembly plants.

I've thought that 76A (RPU) and 82A (CC pu) were very much sent out as "body kits" to the remote assembly plants - and put on loose chassis and sold as "commercial" units. It may be possible that a truck COULD have a "black nose" and a green body as coming from this assembly sequence.

GE (General Electric) bought a fleet of service trucks which were made up in this manner - black nose and white bodies with the GE Logo.

So in many ways trucks are "less demanding' in restoration and the "afterthought" and the commercial use and origin of many trucks gives more freedom to the restorer.

Joe K
Old 12-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
Pickupman

"Another aspect is that the truck line is where Ford frequently "used up" parts which were "blems" or non-acceptable to the car line."

Joe, where can I find this documented information? Thanks!
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
Joe K

I'm not sure it is documented, but check all the trucks you see henceforth and ask the owner if they have found blem under the paint, or to their knowledge are the paint parts I mention "original."

I'm not sure the Judging Standards has ponied up to bar on this subject either - its only been in the last two revisions where the "permissive window" on changes for trucks has been widened to 6 months.

Hard to imagine a farm truck would bother to repaint a gearshift lever just because the nickle plating got a little rusty.

And I have found gearshift levers painted, apparently original, that were in better shape than another in the same pile which probably started it's life as butler finish. For a number of reason nickle plating on Model As are not the most durable. Paint much more so.

Joe K
Old 12-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
29closedcabguy

Floor board pdf plans can be obtained here. http://www.stevewatrous.com/modelaford.html
29closedcabguy is offline   Reply With Quote