Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
carguybill

Default Not all 6 volt flashers are equal

This is just for information. I have discovered that not all 6 volt positive ground turn signal flashers are created equal.

I installed Rhode Island Wiring's turn signal controller on my '34 and all went well except I couldn't get the light in the turn signal body to work. The turn signals worked properly but the small light in the signal body glowed dimly continuously.

Because our company sells 6V pos ground flashers I didn't buy one from Rhode Island, big mistake. After too many hours of struggling with the problem I called RI Wiring and talked with their Technical Service and told that they have learned that some flashers will work properly and others won't. They have developed a test procedure to insure that the ones that sell are correct. I bought one of theirs and it worked exactly like it should.

Kudos to Rhode Island Wiring.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
AMG50

Default Re: Not all 6 volt flashers are equal

Im glad someone posted this. I have the exact same problem in my F1, always though it might be the flasher. Looks like i need to give them a call.
AMG50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
TJ

The body of the switch must be grounded. If you use a pad around the column, so the mounting clamp does not scratch the paint, the indicator light will not work. I solder a wire on the back side of the switch body and then ground it to the dash.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
AMG50

yea, i already tried a seperate ground wire from the switch housing to a known good ground, got the same results. I think my flasher was made in china...likely the issue
AMG50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Bill S

The little green light on the flasher that I have does not work. Never did. I am running 12 volt
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
bbrust

Bill S, Looks like you need to swap in a 12 volt bulb.
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Bruce_MO

I have a weird problem where all lights front & rear and at the dash work fine, except for the right taillight. When I turn on the turn signal for a right turn, the right bulb flashes less brightly than when it's used as a brake light, and the left bulb flashes faintly as well. I've messed with grounds, but I always suspected the flasher assy. I will try Rhode Island. Anyone else have ideas for what could cause "feedback"? Thanks
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
carguybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_MO View Post
I have a weird problem where all lights front & rear and at the dash work fine, except for the right taillight. When I turn on the turn signal for a right turn, the right bulb flashes less brightly than when it's used as a brake light, and the left bulb flashes faintly as well. I've messed with grounds, but I always suspected the flasher assy. I will try Rhode Island. Anyone else have ideas for what could cause "feedback"? Thanks
It sounds to me that you have the RH turn signal wire connected to the wiring for the low (less bright) side of the bulb.

Also check to assure that your RH bulb is not installed upside down. Easy to see by just turning on your parking lights and if it is brighter than the LH then it is installed upside down. Later cars eliminate this possibility by staggering the locking studs on he bulb.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
FortyNiner

What Bill said...
Old 11-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Bruce_MO

I wish it was that simple... the brake lights work as they're supposed to... both left and right are equal brightness. And the feedback with both the left and right bulbs blinking simultaneously only when I put on the right turn signal on is what's confusing me. Thanks
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_MO View Post
Generally that is the sign of a bad ground. Run an extra ground from the tail lamp housing to see if that helps.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:01 AM   #12
40 FourDrDlx

Are there any 6v flashers that click loudly? My signals work great but the nut behind the wheel doesn't always turn them off!
40 FourDrDlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:07 AM   #13
Lawson Cox

I am going to put a small beeper on mine. Although my ears have grown somewhat over the years, as all ears do, I still can't hear any better.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #14
carguybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I am going to put a small beeper on mine. Although my ears have grown somewhat over the years, as all ears do, I still can't hear any better.
I've used Radio Shack beepers for years on my older cars. simple to hook up and easy for me to hear. The only issue I have found is that after a few years their function starts becoming unreliable. But they are very inexpensive. Their item 2730793, a 6V buzzer, for example, is only $3.99.