Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Fender Mirror

This mirror was in the trunk of the 53 Merc parts car I got a while back so I finally got around to trying it out on the 52. Since the 53 fender I installed already had holes in it for a mirror I did not have to drill any. I don't know if it is an original Ford accessory. I like the look of it but the glass is cracked. I'm thinking of getting one of those stick on convex mirrors that used to be popular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc mirror round small.jpg (63.0 KB, 52 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Fender Mirror

I had a broken mirror, and I did a google search and found a place that sold round mirrors in all kinds of sizes. It took a little screwing around, but I was able to install the new mirror in the old housng and it turned out great!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:27 AM   #3
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
This mirror was in the trunk of the 53 Merc parts car I got a while back so I finally got around to trying it out on the 52. Since the 53 fender I installed already had holes in it for a mirror I did not have to drill any. I don't know if it is an original Ford accessory. I like the look of it but the glass is cracked. I'm thinking of getting one of those stick on convex mirrors that used to be popular.

If its genuine Ford there should be a part number underneath.I worked at Pep Boys in the early 1960's and they carried all kinds of outside rear view mirrors.That location probably is not the best field of vision.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
Jersey Devil

Ralph

Try your local glass shop. I just had the mirror glass replaced on a round mirror for my 52 F1. $40.00

Most glass shops replace/install mirror glass

Hope this helps,

Tom
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Ralph

Try your local glass shop. I just had the mirror glass replaced on a round mirror for my 52 F1. $40.00

Most glass shops replace/install mirror glass

Hope this helps,

Tom
Thanks Tom. No real "local" glass shops around here but I'm guessing the local hardware might have the stick on convex mirror that would fit and hopefully stick well enough to the old cracked glass. I can't see how the glass would come out of this mirror without damaging it.
Deucelover, that location might not be the best for visibility. The reason I chose it was that the fender already had holes. This fills in the holes and gives me at least a little more rear view than I had.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
flatford8

Ralph, I think you’ve got a good idea with the stick on convex mirror. I have one similar to yours on my ‘50 and it just doesn’t give much for rear view at all. I have none on the passenger side and I’m all but blind as to what’s going on over there. My ‘51 has holes in the tops of the fenders.......I think I’m gonna do like you did to fill holes.....I’ve been a truck driver too long.....I need mirrors on both sides....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
..I think I’m gonna do like you did to fill holes.....I’ve been a truck driver too long.....I need mirrors on both sides....Mark
I'm so used to a good set of outside mirrors that I really miss it on the older cars. Plus my neck is not as flexible as it used to be when I need to back out of the garage. I see Walmart has those stick on mirrors advertised very reasonable so it won't cost much to find out if it works. If I get it together I'll post a picture of the results.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
Clem Clement

The stick on convex mirrors on my side-mounted tired worx great. And they are kinda hidden
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote