Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #41
koates

Default Re: positive to negative change

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Koates, we have been through this, the claim is several different meters at different times, both analog and digital. My guess would be it is some type of strange 12v battery of three cells. It holds a charge at 13+ volts and it is being charged by a 12v alternator, to me, that makes it a 12v battery, LOL. Never seen or even heard of such a thing, but to me, regardless of it's appearance, it is a 12v battery.
Yes I have read all the posts several times over. Maybe it is a 12 volt battery with a 6 volt battery top fitted on top. In which case the 3 battery caps would not line up with the 12 volt cells. I bet those caps are glued down. Its hard to suss these things out from hundreds of miles away and with information a bit sketchey. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #42
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm with you!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #43
Mike51Merc

Quite a mystery here.
I'd say it is electrochemically impossible for a three cell lead/acid battery to produce 12 volts, it just can't happen.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #44
deuce_roadster

Yeah, has he taken the caps off and looked to see whether it needs more water? I am guessing if they unscrew at all, he will see a smaller 12 v battery inside that case. And the generator and regulator were burned up due to the 12 volts. The starter can take it for quite a while. I also suspect whoever made this battery made it appear that the + terminal is going to ground but it looks to me like what is connected to ground is actually a negative post (smaller).

Actually pretty clever to make it look original, he has proved it is a 12v battery.

Back in high school, I bought a car that was hooked up correctly but the PO had stamped the ends of the battery terminals wrong (the big on had a - and the small one had a +.

Whoever made that battery up wanted to mess with our brains. As stated, it is not possible to get 12v out of 3 lead acid cells.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #45
grouchyandugly

hi. anyone/anybody is WELCOME to come check out this dumb dirtyword "impossible" battery..… and I HAVE looked inside it, and it only has the internals of a SIX VOLT. and it checked out as a correct 6V from CARQUEST. (model number, etc on battery). I live between Jacksonville Fl and Lake City Fl if anyone wants to check it out (battery, not me). stay safe. thanks
grouchyandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #46
grouchyandugly

oh, the POS Post WAS LARGER AND IT WAS GOING TO GROUND. the NEG post was smaller and it is going to the starter solenoid.... they were NOT switched around. the NEG cable is looping around to the solenoid. the battery caps were "pull off/out" not screwed in. stay safe. thanks
grouchyandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #47
deuce_roadster

Well, he is in Florida, maybe the battery is left over from the Space Shuttle.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #48
rotorwrench

If a 6-volt battery is reading anything over 7-volts then I'd either return it under warranty or pitch it in the dead pile. It only has three cells at 2.1-volts per cell normally. A group 1 battery puts it in the same catagory as batteries back to the early Ford days. If it is 12-volt it would have to have two cells crammed in each of the 3 separate wells in order to function at 12-volt. It would be an impossibility any other way you look at it. Anyone that would try to convince me other wise would be special indeed. There is no way a lead acid cell will put out much more than 2.1-volts. It is physically impossible.

If the car "was" 6-volt then all the light bulbs will burn out quickly on 12-volt. The instruments won't work correctly either. No wonder the armature burned out on the generator.

I'd look for another battery stashed somewhere else that is hooked in reverse to the system making the system read 12-volts. Someone may think that it would make is start better but that isn't all it would do if it wasn't isolated from the other system.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-24-2019 at 11:22 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 AM   #49
Paul Bennett

Default 13 Volt Battery

13v ... Optima YellowTops are THIRTEEN volts plus a tad at full charge. RedTops are 12.6-12.8v..

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 03-26-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 AM   #50
flatheadmurre

I would take the battery to be tested...if it actually turns out it puts out 12v some one did a pretty clever conversion of it or the internal is a miracle.
A 12v auxilliary battery in parallel with a 6v would boil the water out of the 6v in no time...
If there´s an auxillary battery in the car you should be able to detect power in the system with the first battery unhooked.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #51
rotorwrench

I was thinking a 6-volt in series to get 12-volt. You never know what folks can cook up. I've seen so many 8-volt batteries in 6-volt cars and the owners always tried to tell me that they came from the factory that way.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #52
Hoop

"I suggest that you slow down and and have a little discussion about this. Doing what you are suggesting is about the last thing you want to do if your car is really "NICE". Plus the comment "JUICED the 6 Volt Battery to 13 Volts" suggests there is something else going on here." tubman

I know the car. It was bought new in Jacksonville and had only two owners until recently.

It really is a nice car with, I believe, the original seat covers installed by the dealer. The mileage is low and should be correct. If I remember correctly, it has been resprayed.

The above quoted advice is on target. Unless something really screwed up happened, it is a 6 volt car.

Frankly, I would strongly suggest that you stop messing with it until you have a bonafide early ford guy check it out ... the car ran beautifully and reliably for years with a generator and doesn't need an alternator.

Of course, it's your car and you can take all the bad advice you want.

Last edited by Hoop; 03-26-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #53
deuce_roadster

If you must have an alternator, they make 6v + ground ones.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #54
Mike51Merc

OK, so just thinking out of the box here--- this car was recently purchased----is it possible that there is a second source (second battery) in this car (trunk)?

As crazy as it sounds, we've all heard stories of guys putting in a second battery to tap 12V for audio equipment, etc.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote