Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #41
Freddie (Memphis)

Default Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

Guess I'm a "Johnny Come Lately" Ford guy..

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #42
rick55

Worked for GM in the early 70's and thought they were the way to go.
Then in the mid 70's I got my first Aussie Ford and was converted for life.
I might create an argument but I think their drive trains are much stronger than the opposition. Is there a stronger more reliable combination than a 351 Cleveland, FMX and a 9" for a street car?
They just keep on trucking.
Mid 50's Fords for me.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #43
Barry B./ Ma.

I guess it was a combination. My dad had a new 49 tudor that we thought was a handsome , well designed car and going through high school the sharpest cars were the shoebox convertibles. I helped my friends with their flatheads by spiffing them up with skirts, duals etc. and couldn't wait until I got my own 49 a couple of years later. Back in those days the cars with the go were Fords. I've stuck with them for the most part except for a couple of Plymouths and Chevys. I did like the four Corvairs I owned and thought they weren"t boring and quite innovative for a large company like GM to come up with, thanks Ed Cole.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #44
552drpost

Just couldn't let this thread die without my 2 cents. The 1st Ford I drove was a 39 Ford coupe of my older bro's.That was 1953 I was 9yrs old and nearly ran over 1 of the barbour's kids lol It's a long story but this is why I call myself 552drpost on all the forums I belong to.

This pic was taken in 69(note the stubby beer bottle) This car ended in the crusher. I have a 51 Monarch project car that I'd like to swap for a 55 2dr post project
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #45
geo61bird

Started when I bought my first car a 1988 Lincoln Town Car Black... well that was enough for me... from there goes as follows

1988 Lincoln Town Car - Black Crashed
1961 Thunderbird - White
1967 Comet - Blue... SOLD
1966 Fairlane GTA - Blue <---- Dads
1978 Fairmont Futura - purple SOLD
1989 Lincoln Town Car - Black
1987 Lincoln Continental - white <---- Dads
1926 Model T Coupe - Dads
1916 Model T Touring - Dads

Someday I will have a 1963½ 427 4sp Galaxie - Hey I can Dream

I guess what really got me was the history of Ford and the fact of knowing that old Henry did so much more for the country than just build cars. All of the car shows I go to the Ford guys seem to have a deeper respect of ownership, you can see it in someones eyes that they know they have something special... not just another Camaro with a 350.

When you go back and look at the history of innovation and performance FORD always rises to the top.

FORD FOREVER... oh yeah and they didn't take the money

geo61bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #46
Freddie (Memphis)

geo61bird wrote...
Quote:
"Someday I will have a 1963½ 427 4sp Galaxie - Hey I can Dream.."
How's this...? I'll see your '63 Galaxy 427 and raise you a '65 Shelby Cobra 427...

But that GTA in your 2nd picture is Suuuu-weeet..! Shades of my ol' high school days...had a friend who had a red GTA. One of my favorite Ford street racers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobra Clipped.jpg (67.5 KB, 10 views)

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #47
fairlanehdt

I am a Ford guy like many others because of family tradition. But I really got hooked when I baught my firs car a 57 Fairlane wich I still have and am in the process of restoring!
fairlanehdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #48
djpink1947

Ever since I was 11 or 12 I loved the AMT model car kit of a 40 ford coupe. I always wanted one but, was never in the right place at the right time. I came out of the service in 1971 and proceeded to buy a new 1972 Corvette LT-1. raced the crapp out of it. Well to make a long story short one of my vettes got stolen. Again with insurance money I purchased a 57 Chevy 2dr post. I finally got the bug to get a 1940 ford coupe in 1984. I sold my 57 for about 4300 dollars. Well even back then 40 Ford coupes were pricey. So I found the first Ford car too own in a classic car parts store. It was a 38 Ford 2dr sedan. It looked really sharp in the pictures. It was up in Canada but, I lived near Detroit, so it wasn't that far. I walked in the garage took one look and bought the car right on the spot. It had a small block Chevy. I kept that motor for about 12 years got the bug to have a Flattie installed in it. I bought a 1950 Merc. motor. Had it built up by Motor City Flathead. That motor gave me nothing but grief. I had that 38 Ford sedan for almost 20 years. All my kids rode in it at one stage of their lives. I did manage tho to purchase a 1940 Ford Opera coupe. My father died and I used that money from his estate. But, then a lot of things went south in my life, divorce, house payment, behind lost my job. Soooo sold 1940 because me and three kids could not live in it. My youngest daughter REALLY loved that coupe. So much she cried when the new owner came to pick it up. I felt bad too because I chased this dream for a long time. Got back on my feet quite quickley and had some cash and bought me my current car now my 1955 Ford Victoria. Never looked back over losing the little 40 coupe, this 55 took care of that, by many trouble free miles and a great driver that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
djpink1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #49
Lawson Cox

When I was in high school, working at a service station, there was an older guy (Maybe 18 or 19) that came in the station several times a week for gas, oil, etc. He had a 34 Ford coupe. He was sort of my idol at the time even though I cannot remember his name. I do, however, remember putting his car up on the grease rack every month of so and scraping the teeth out of his transmission with my finger. No telling how many transmissions he put in that car. I loved the car, and still today, the 34 Roadster is the most beautiful car ever built, bar none. I have owned a 34 Tudor, 36 Club Cab, a 47 Coupe and now own a 35 Pickup. Great cars.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #50
bdamfino

Early memories of that big round '63 Galaxie tailight on my mom's car, then a magazine feature from 'round 1972 of two Woodies, '39 and '40, both rodded.
bdamfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #51
Mike Mc

Came from hospital when I was born in my Dad's '30 Model A Roadster. When my parents divorced & Mum remarried, my step father had a '64 Cortina GT. Both cars are in my garage now. One of my brothers started working for FoMoCo in Aucklans & stayed with them for 20 odd years, so was a relatively cheap source of parts. Apart from an illicit affair with Subaru, most of my cars have been Ford. I have moved on from 4 cyl English models to 6 & 8 cyl Aussie Falcons but have dreams about getting my hands on a late-80s Sierra Cosworth at some stage.

My brother who worked for Ford is now a die-hard GM fan. Every family has a black sheep
Mike Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #52
flatheadfan

That's easy- My grandfather worked for Ford, as well as my dad, three uncles, my brother and myself. I grew up in Dearborn, Mi, attended Henry Ford's Greenfield Village School (my dad also taught there), graduated from Dearborn High School, and went on to graduate from Henry Ford Community College. I think you get the picture.......

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #53
Brent

I cannot afford to be a Ferrari guy. Really though, I've always admired early Fords. I've owned all sorts of different cars in the past but always found my attention coming back. I've never been happier than with the project(s) I currently have... that said, I cannot afford those vintage Ferraris, yet.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #54
coup34

Back during the 30's & 40's, muddy roads, snow drifts, shortage of parts, the worn out Model A carried my father over his route. Therefore I had all the potatoes I wanted. I could say a lot more, but that's enough.
coup34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #55
Frank The Plumber

I liked Mustangs, I have had a lot of Mustangs, 20 or so. I had a 66 Parklane, A 71 Marquis, A 72 LTD with a 351C, a 66 gt350H, about 16 modern trucks and now the 38 panel. In the old days when Chevy power was cheap and easy and Ford go go was expensive only a tough Hombre would have the coconuts to run against the GM boys. I campaigned a 70 Mustang coupe with a 14-1 Arias, 302 forged cranked, girdled, 200 shot with a .520 cam. It ran on nectar of the gods, that nectar was not cheap. 275 for a 50 gallon drum. The stang had a serious bout with the scale and weighed in at 2,230 lbs, the only steel part was the roof, the glass was all MR 2000, had a C4 with a 4500 stall and about 8 grand worth of servo reinforcement and gear cutting. It had a Ford nine out back with a set of 4.88s 31.5 X 15 good years and Welds. A MSD 7al2, Barry G fuel pump and a set of AFB 500s on her, We never did dyno this gal, we estimate about 650 on the giggly and use the parts destruction that she could cause as a serious guide. Her best time was a 10.41 no speed reading and an rpm of 8200, that was her lock out number. I would take this car to shows on a trailer, enter it in the pro street class and when the dopes would come around to mock the trailer I would angle them in to a purse race. I loved running a little block Ford in the early eighties the Chevy guys were so bold, why would I drive a Pro Street car to a car show on 3 dollar gas in a car that gets 2 MPG? Because "I" never said it was pro street. I loved that car, but sold her to buy a house, guy I sold it to put a 600 inch motorsport engine in it, drove it into the wall at the strip, it ran a 9.20 the pass before it died. He broke a leg. But was fine other than that.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #56
highwinder

My first car was a Ford
highwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #57

My first car was a 70 Camaro, I bought it in 72 when I was 16 and still drive it occasionally today. I also have a 69 AMC Big Bad Blue 390 4sp leather interior AMX, one of only 192 made. Then there is the 74 AMC Hornet hatchback, the 72 El Camino, a 2001 and a 2009 PT Cruiser (Our imitation 37 Ford slantbacks) AND our course our beloved 37 Ford Tudor and 38 Ford Coupe.
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #58
bgarrett

If I had to classify myself, I'd say I am a Mercury guy, not a Ford guy, altho I own more than 50 Fords.
My dad and my uncle always had Mercurys 1940, 52, 56 and 57 are the ones I remember most even tho they went on to buy newer Mercurys.
Both of my grandfathers bought new Fords in 1937 even tho they lived 500 miles apart and didnt know each other. They both got the 60 hp motors and both disliked them intensely. I have grandpas 37 Ford pickup and his 1954 Ford Mainline.

If I had to answer why am I a Ford enthusiast, thats easy. Ford made the best looking cars and trucks ( I am considering only affordable cars, not Pierce Arrows and stuff like that) and most traditional hotrods were Fords.
Traditional hotrods have the most appeal to me and always have.
Its a shame that the HAMB is destroying the traditional image of Fords as the choice for a hotrod by allowing International trucks, 48-52 Dodges, Ramblers and cars of that ilk into the forum. The HAMB is now considered the leading ratrod forum by many.
Traditional hotrodders of the 50s put a lot of effort in fighting a poor image.
It seems that ratrodders are determined to destroy car enthusiasts good reputation.

I was there in the 50s. I remember what the hotrodders thought of Ramblers and Plymouths and other undesirable brands.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #59
OLDBULL8

My first car was a 29 Model T coupe when I was 15, paid $7 for it, two days later blew a tire, new tire $14. Painted it Blue and called it the Daisy June, it even had what they called a Rumble seat. When Dad found out I didn't have insurance on it that was the end of driving three miles to school, there was 640 acres across the road where they raised cattle in the summer, was it ever fun chasing them with the T. Over my 82 years I've owned a lot of Fords too many to remember. From Michigan originally, Marine City, Ohio for the last 61 yrs.
Still enjoy working on my three F350 diesel's, 90 - 92 and a 99.5 PSD (Power Squirting Diesel).
OLDBULL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #60
Lyle

Hello I became a ford man Because my dad liked fords. My first car 1928 ford roadster. 15.00 next 48 english ford next 62 mercury 221 v8. Next 64 2 door hardtop gal.500 xl. Next a 69 galx 500.my dads last truck was a 59 chevy only because a fellow Brother in the church passed on and He told his wife to give it to my dad. He drove it. Till he could not see to drive.He passed on at the age 94.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote