Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #41
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 292 with 239 heads

Back in the '70's, I used to frequent Dan's Used auto parts in Mascoutah. Lotta old stuff there. I ran across and old milk delivery truck that was loaded in the back with nothing but old intake manifolds and saw an intake with an EBU carb on it that looked like my '55 manifold, except that it seemed smaller to me. I kept rummaging and found a '56 intake that had a Holley 2110 on it and compared it with the other intake. That is when I drew the conclusion that the first manifold I encountered must have come off of a '54 Ford car with a 239. But I was not aware that the '54 truck engine had a manifold more on the order of the standard 2bbl '55 manifold (and thus the truck engine would have had the 272 heads also I assume.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #42
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 292 with 239 heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

That is when I drew the conclusion that the first manifold I encountered must have come off of a '54 Ford car with a 239. But I was not aware that the '54 truck engine had a manifold more on the order of the standard 2bbl '55 manifold (and thus the truck engine would have had the 272 heads also I assume.
There you go, exactly what I have been trying to get across.

The TRUCK 239 (late 54- 1955 CF) was different in design(s) from the PASS CAR 239 DIF. TRUCK did not get the 272 until 1956, but used 256/272 heads in 1955. All of this will be explained in FORD SERVICE LETTERS but getting hold of them all at this date would be a challenge.

When you discuss the FYB, you have to consider all installs incl.- FORD - MERC - TRUCK (LD and HD).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #43
KULTULZ

Post Re: 292 with 239 heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post

Kul what I was saying is unless you with your own eyes see something it is probably based on proposed items that were later discarded.

if you look through your collection of literature re- assembly manuals with different printing dates you will find instances of this.
I think you are mis-interpreting what it is I am describing. If you are describing FORD SHOP MANUALS, they are updated quarterly with either new and/or upgraded service procedures. They offered very little in description or theory. SERVICE LETTERS provided this info that FOMOCO deemed necessary to be released to dealers for warranty/service repair.

A PARTS MANUAL only shows current service parts (date of publication). It does not either give needed service info, other than what the user can differentiate. The are manuals that will allow one to track down deleted SERVICE PARTS.

The actual history of the FYB is not concise even among experts as all will give differing description(s) in their TECH ARTICLES.

Am I explaining this correctly? I am interested in the developmental history of the FYB SERIES. Most has been forgotten.

I want to know exactly why FORD issued two versions of the early FYB. But without a source of the early SERVICE LETTERS, it will be near impossible.

I went through this same thing some years back with the MEL. Same fairy tales. I came across the period LM SERVICE LETTERS and pieced it together.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #44
rotorwrench

The Cleveland engine plant started out casting the Lincoln and truck Y-blocks in 1951. With most design and initial production of the small Y-blocks starting at Dearborn, it would make sense that updates were done there. The Cleveland plant likely took a bit of time to tool up for the new smaller engine series. By the time they got started casting, a number of improvements were already incorporated into the design.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #45
54vicky

Kul if you let me know what period of time I will when I have time look through the the bulletins I have it is a pile.almost every one from 54 missing a few.most managers also.a couple of osi books from that period.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #46
54vicky

Quote:
Kul if you let me know what period of time I will when I have time look through the the bulletins I have it is a pile.almost everyone from 54 missing a few.most managers also.a couple of osi books from that period.
Rotors post makes sense to me we really need a flux capacitor to answer for sure I hate it when a myth gets perpetuated
Old 03-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #47
KULTULZ

Quote:

Rotors post makes sense to me we really need a flux capacitor to answer for sure I hate it when a myth gets perpetuated
ROTORS post is describing the DIF. It was setup (new) to manufacture the new I6 and LYB. The FYB came along a little later and first year (1954 model run) manufacturing began in the DIF.The CF was opened a little on in the 1954 model year and was tooled for the FYB but the engine was different in many ways from the DIF engine. DIF stopped manufacturing the FYB after the 1957 model year and began the FE/MEL SERIES.

I appreciate your offer and if you ever have the time, please research 1954 to 1955 FYB service/production letters.

Now while I am at it, there was a similar thread here (I think) discussing the intro of the FYB. It's release was scheduled for 1953 but held back because of material shortages (KOREA). Another poster (I cannot remember his name or the thread) posted the FYB designing actually began in 1948. He is correct. This is when the order came down for new engines and the needed plants and tooling. I apologize for dismissing his contribution.

BTW- I just had a colonoscopy and came out with a clean slate. My wife always refers to me as a$$-hole and I just wanted to be perfect for her ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-22-2019, 12:27 AM   #48
KULTULZ

Post Re: 292 with 239 heads

Quote:
The problem with the mismatch is the heads/intake situation

While there was a certain amount of standardization starting with 1955, there still are differences between the years. One example is the cam - in the early years a cross drilled cam was used (for oil supply to the rockers), then a cam with a groove and then back to a crossed drilled cam and then in the last years I think they went back to the grooved cam.

I forgot to address this one earlier concerning cross-drilled and grooved cam journals -

Quote:
If you are using a camshaft with a cross drilled center journal you must use ‘55-early ‘56 cam bearings designed for cross drilled cams.

If you are installing a cam with a grooved center journal you must use the late ‘56-’64 cam bearings.

John Mummert - http://nebraskalandtbirds.org/sitebu...mblyerrors.pdf

I also came across this reference that the cross-drilled cam journal was used again but that is false.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #49
Rancheroboy

How can I post images? The insert images icon above wants a URL.
Rancheroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #50
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancheroboy View Post
How can I post images? The insert images icon above wants a URL.
Click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the text box and look for the 'paperclip' icon at the top of the new/expanded text box. Click the paperclip icon to get a small pop-up window and Browse to the image file in your PC, click/select the picture, then Upload. If you get an error message when uploading, the 'file size' of the image must be just under 2MB to upload.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-23-2019 at 01:39 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #51
54vicky

someone will probably be along to help you will need to post your OS as each have different methods for attaching and resizing hopefully you figure it out as it will answer some questions hopefully.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #52
Daves55Sedan

It has been my experience that pic's will not post if you have selected the quick reply box at the bottom of the list of threads. Right above it, you will see a little blue rectangle labelled "POST REPLY". Pick that and use it for the post you want to embed photos in. The can link photos directly from the hard drive on your computer to the post. After uploading is complete, close the upload window, then "insert" the pic in the dropdown list you want on the post.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #53
paul2748

If you click on "GO Advanced" you can load pictures. Then scroll down to Manage attachments and click on it. Same as the paper clip thing
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #54
54vicky

I will jump back in on my OS after hitting the manage attachment button and it opens I then go to pictures or the place I put the picture then I highlight the picture and then at bottom I hit open it will then place the picture in the attachment location it may take a couple of seconds then I hit preview to check and see if it is the one I want as I said different OS may have different methods.we will hopefully get you there
Old 11-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #55
Rancheroboy

Turns out my cutting out problem had been a tired/weak fuel pump all along. All is well now. I went to Mummert's shop here in San Diego with many Y-block questions, one being the 239 heads on a 292 block. Turns out the 1961 292 is the only 292 block that 239 heads will work on.
Rancheroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #56
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancheroboy View Post

Turns out my cutting out problem had been a tired/weak fuel pump all along. All is well now.

I went to Mummert's shop here in San Diego with many Y-block questions, one being the 239 heads on a 292 block. Turns out the 1961 292 is the only 292 block that 239 heads will work on.
Did John say why the 239 cyl heads can go to a 61/ 292? Are these EBU or EBV marked? What intake manifold are you using?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #57
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 292 with 239 heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Did John say why the 239 cyl heads can go to a 61/ 292? Are these EBU or EBV marked? What intake manifold are you using?
Try reading the entire thread KULTULZ and you won't have to ask repetitive stupid questions ...

EBU

- WHY IS IT ... -