Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #81
Buford

Default Re: 1955 ford station wagon with a V8 302 Engine.

I think since you changed the thermostat at the same time you had the radiator cleaned you might do yourself a favor and run the engine without the stat to see if that might solve the overheating....it sounds to me like the stat might not be opening causing all that extra pressure in the system?

Preparation H will not stop asteroids!
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #82
Kahuna

I like Buford's thought.
Would be my first try
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #83
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
. . . i went ahead and replaced the water pump,thermostat housing,and the thermostat. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
....it sounds to me like the stat might not be opening causing all that extra pressure in the system?
Is there a chance the thermostat got installed backwards?
The side with the spring points toward the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hot thermostat.jpg (59.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-05-2018 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #84
poolplayer1

Thanks Guys for all your help.Yes,the bottom radiator hose is on the passenger side,since its a 68 model.I did make sure that the thermostat spring was facing toward the engine. I am still waiting for the Rad.to come back.The guy is the only Rad.guy here in town and with all this heat (115),he stays really busy.When I get it back.if it still building up pressure,I will remove the thermostat and than try again.It is a new thermos.but like anything,it could be bad.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #85
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
. . . It is a new thermos.but like anything,it could be bad.
While you're waiting for the radiator, you could put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens.
(as in the photo above)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #86
poolplayer1

That's an idea,since I can't do anything else til I get the radiator back.Thank you.
Mando
Old 08-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #87
dmsfrr

Mando,
Since it's probably got anti-freeze on it a really good rinsing off before it goes in the pot will be a good idea too. Along w/ soap & water in the pot afterward.
Having car parts in the kitchen requires caution, to avoid offending the head chef.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-09-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #88
poolplayer1

I sure hope I get the RAd.back by tomorrow.I hate to be a pain in the s but I am going to call the guy in the morning and tell him that I think he has had enough time.
If I do get it tomorrow,I will put it back in and try and see if it works good this time.
Thanks dmsfrr.
Mando
Old 08-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #89
poolplayer1

Well, darn it. The Radiator guy just called me and said that the core had too many tubes that were plugged up and that it was leaking and therefore,it was beyond repair and that I should look for another radiator to replace it.I told him how come he didn't tell me that the first time he worked on it. Anyway,does anyone here have a radiator for a 55 ford that I can buy from? Mine is a station wagon but I don't think there is any difference between a full size car and a SW. Let me know if you do.
In the mean time I will go on the net and search for one.
If you guys know or can think of a company that may have one,please let me know.
Thanks for all your help.
Mando
Old 08-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #90
dmsfrr

But it was good enough to charge you full price the first time he fixed it? How does that work?
Did he give you back the radiator?
I'll bet he didn't give you even a partial a refund either

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-13-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #91
scicala

Sounds like the radiator shop screwed you on that one. It's obvious they didn't even check it correctly the first time, but I'll bet they put a nice paint job on it. I would go dance on their counter top and demand some money back. Not to mention all of the time you spent going there and back and wasted time/labor.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #92
poolplayer1

I am going this afternoon to get my radiator back from him. I am going to see if I can get at least some money back since the repair that he supposedly did the first time did not work. I need to get it back so that I can take some measurements of the core and an overall height and width of the rad. By the way,do you think that aluminum radiators will work fine with this vehicle just in case I can't find the oem. I saw one on ebay but the top hose is on the passenger side and mine is on the driver side.I don't think that's a problem cause I can always get a different top hose.
Thanks for your comments.
Mando
Old 08-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #93
scicala

It seems to me a REAL radiator shop should be able to re-core your original radiator.
If not, I've heard some of the aluminum ones work well. I have no experience myself with them.

Sal
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #94
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 ford station wagon with a V8 302 Engine.

Quote:
That radiator shop is very unprofessional.

The word I wanted but could not remember is incompetent.

CASE STUDY-

How a MORON can attempt to EDIT a post and blow it out of the water instead...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-14-2018 at 12:30 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #95
poolplayer1

Hello friends. I got my radiator back yesterday after he said it was beyond repair.After arguing with the guy for awhile,I was able to get 80.00 refund.I told him he should of known that the core was beyond repair when he did a pressure test and at that point he should of called me to give me the bad news.That would of been the end of the story,no labor wasted and no paint wasted.Anyway,I found a copper/brass downflow radiator online.It looks and measures just like the one I have here.
The difference is the top hose is on the left side of the tank and mine is on the right side but I'll just get a flexible rad.hose that I can shape to reach the inlet tube.
If not,I'll get 2 hoses and couple them together to reach the inlet.
Thanks to all for your good comments and suggestions.
Mando
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #96
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 ford station wagon with a V8 302 Engine.

Quote:
The difference is the top hose is on the left side of the tank and mine is on the right side but I'll just get a flexible rad.hose that I can shape to reach the inlet tube.

If you could find a competent radiator shop nearby, they could move that upper tank inlet.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 08-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #97
poolplayer1

Yes,you are correct.That shop is not taking care of his business in a professional way.I told him he had lost my business because of the way he treated me.Nobody can afford to give money away. Anyway,I went ahead and ordered the new radiator that was for sale online. It will be 4 or 5 days before I get it but that's ok cause I already wasted more than 3 weeks waiting for this Rad.guy to work ( Or maybe not) on my rad.
Funny that you mentioned the top inlet being moved to the other side cause I had just talked to another shop about 30 miles away and he said he could move the inlet to the side that I needed it to be. I hope this guy is more decent than the local one.
I believe that just because a repair shop treated me unfairly,I am going to think that all shops are the same. One bad apple does not mean that all apples are bad.Thats my opinion.
Mando
Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #98
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1955 ford station wagon with a V8 302 Engine.

I forget...

You said your present WP inlet (bottom hose) is on the left side so as to allow the coolant to flow across the radiator?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #99
poolplayer1

I guess it depends on where you are at ( in front of the engine or sitting in the drivers side) to determine which is your left and which is your right. The water pump inlet in this 302 is on the right (from drivers position).The outlet of the new radiator is on the right too so that will match ok. The top radiator hose inlet on the new rad.is on the right and on my old rad.,its on the left. When I get the new radiator I will figure out how to make the top hose fit. I guess when mentioning left and right on a vehicle its best to say passenger or driver side.That makes things a lot easier to understand. Have a good day guys.Thanks
Mando
Old 08-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #100
scicala

"I guess when mentioning left and right on a vehicle its best to say passenger or driver side.That makes things a lot easier to understand. Have a good day guys. Thanks"

Passenger's or driver's side works unless it's someone from Australia, New Zealand or the UK where the drivers side is the right side.
The rule of thumb is everything is looked at as if sitting in the front seat as far as left or right side.

Sal