Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2017, 02:23 AM   #81
KULTULZ

Talking Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post

Now onto that elusive Race Kit

There were actually 3 kits availiable

The discussed Mercury M 260 Kit - MGK-66005-AA

The Ford Power Pack Kit B6A-9000-B K3 for Standard or overdrive transmission on Ford passenger cars

AND

The Ford Power Pack Kit B6A-9000-B K4 for Standard or overdrive transmission on Ford Thunderbird.

The K4 kit exclusively supplied the necessary T Bird parts including the oval air cleaner.

With only a grand total of 100 of both the K3 and K4 kits being produced, one can understand the rareity (and the pricing) of the oval air cleaners.

The picture of the kit above showing the single large Purolator air cleaner
is the kit that I owned. That is the B6A-9000-B K3 .

It is NOT the Mercury kit.

Oldmics
OK...

This kit-

- is the FORD KIT B6A 9000-B K3 (FORD Unique).

BTW- I knew is was not the MERC Kit MGK 66005-AA as the parts list for that specific kit showed two air cleaners. But I did not know it was FORD Specific.

Now with that being said (or posted actually), was another kit released by FORD that used the oval air cleaner or was the oval air cleaner used just for the BIRD Kit release? If there was another kit released, did the letter give a Service PN for the oval air cleaner itself?

ALSO-

Did you ever come across any reference that a separate BIRD Engine Dress-Up Kit (in addition to the BIRD specific kit B6A 9000-B K4) was available (Brite Finish) to explain the chromed oval air cleaner?

The FORD MPC of the period (FINAL ISSUE) has deleted much of that info (not PRODUCTION RELEASE LETTER specific).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #82
Oldmics
BANNED

Default Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Kutulz asks

"Now with that being said (or posted actually), was another kit released by FORD that used the oval air cleaner"

The B6A 9000-B K4 was the kit released at the same time as the K3.
The K4 kit for the T Birds included the oval air cleaner

"or was the oval air cleaner used just for the BIRD Kit release?"

Bird kit only !

If there was another kit released, (only the 3 kits released 2 from Ford and 1 from Merc)

did the letter give a Service PN for the oval air cleaner itself?

The letter only had the engineering number (EDB-9600-B) for the oval air cleaner.

It crosses in the Master Cross Reference to part# B6A 9600 H .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kultulz asks

"Did you ever come across any reference that a separate BIRD Engine Dress-Up Kit"

The Dress Up Kit for T Birds was availiable from the introduction of the 55 Birds till the end of the two seaters production.

It is listed on gate sheets as "ENG DRESS KIT" at a cost of $15.00.

It consisted of the chrome air cleaner top for the single 4BBL engine,chrome oil breather cap and the Thunderbird aluminum valve covers.

While the "ENG DRESS KIT" was also availiable for the 1957 "E" Code setups, the air cleaner (which were a large round unit) were not chromed.

There does not seem to be a Service Parts Number for the ENG DRESS KIT. The only reference I can find is on the gate sheets.

Apparently it was a factory only offering.Not availiable in the field (except as individual parts)

The race kits were compleatly different critters than the dress up kits.

I had thought you were previously asking about a dress up kit for the passenger cars which never existed.
Dress up kits were availiable only for the T Birds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kultulz asks

(in addition to the BIRD specific kit B6A 9000-B K4) was available (Brite Finish) to explain the chromed oval air cleaner?"

The oval air cleaners were not chromed in the kit,they were argent.

Most got the chromed finish over the years.

Hope this helps.

Finally pictures of the unobtanium below

The chrome one is an XP model. (Ford eXPerimental engineering)
That is why the "FRONT" is in block.

The argent unit is what came in the B6A 9000-B K4 kit.

Hope this helps,Oldmics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0046.jpg (65.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0048.jpg (56.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0051.jpg (72.5 KB, 14 views)
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #83
Alaska Jim

Thank you Oldmics, that is some very good info.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #84
KULTULZ

Smile Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
1956 Ford Dual Four Carburetors (8-V Option)

The first high performance kit for 1956 Ford models was released September 22, 1955 service letter M-118a. Its title was "235 HORSE POWER 312 CUBIC INCH HIGH 0UTPUT ENGINE (1956 Cars)". This kit used a single four-barrel carburetor.

The 1956 8V (dual four) Kit was introduced and released to the public July 6, 1956 by Production service letter P-311a. The title of the letter was 312 CUBIC INCH HIGH POWER ENGINE KIT.

Stating "A new high-power kit (B6A-9000-B) has been released for use on the 1956 312 cubic inch passenger car engine, when customers may desire to obtain maximum performance from 1956 cars where it is desired, as in law enforcement, stock car racing, etc." A quote from the letter states "This new power pack kit will be available through Ford dealers and will be adapted to 1956 312 cubic inch passenger cars with standard or overdrive transmissions only."

It is believed that few if any of these kits were installed during the 1956 production year due the release date to the public, July 6, 1956 and the end of production of the 1956 models, August 24, 1956. The first high output single four-barrel kits introduced in production letter M-118a as well as the dual four kits introduced in production letter P-311a were not installed at the factory. They could be special ordered over the counter from most Ford dealerships. Any mechanic could install the kit.

In early 1957 a letter was sent to all Ford dealers dated February 4, 1957 stating, "This is to advise that we currently have a limited supply of B6A-9000-B Engine Kits used with the 312-engine assembly. These kits are now being offered for sale at a reduced price of $100.00 Dealer Net: They were formerly priced at $315.00 Dealer net. These kits are being offered as is and subject to prior sale". Documentation from one the B6A-9600-B kits provide installation instructions for passenger cars with standard three-speed or overdrive transmissions.

The last paragraph in the instruction sheet found in one of these kits states, "When installing this kit on a Thunderbird, follow the same procedures as listed above."

"The following parts are necessary for the Thunderbird installation:

AH 9725-F Shaft Assembly, AH 99830-C Hanger Assembly, EDB 9600-B Air Cleaner" (Oval Air Cleaner). I interpret this to mean these parts were not in the kit, it would not be practical to supply two types of air cleaners in the kit.
SOURCE- https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/19568VOption.php_

Note-

The above was an interpretation of the PRODUCT SERVICE(s) by the article's author. I wish he had included copies of the letters, maybe an abbreviated interpretation of his of the letters to allow others read exactly what the letter(s) stated.

OK,

Think I have it somewhat figured out.

The B6A 9000-B K3 was for 1956 312 FORD install. It included the unique round filter shown previously with the PUROLATOR AIR FILTER ELEMENT DECAL. The unique ACL Service PN must be included in the instruction sheet(s).

The B6A 9600-B K4 was an additional kit to install the K3 on the BIRD, and one of those items was an EDB 9600-B ACL ASM. The large round filter housing must not have fit under the hood of the BIRD so the oval ACL design was released just for this purpose.

This answers my questions other than the possible WCFB equipped kits.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-08-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #85
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: E code Air cleaner housing

I must have been typing while you were typing...

Quote:

Kutulz asks

"Now with that being said (or posted actually), was another kit released by FORD that used the oval air cleaner"

The B6A 9000-B K4 was the kit released at the same time as the K3.
The K4 kit for the T Birds included the oval air cleaner

"or was the oval air cleaner used just for the BIRD Kit release?"

Bird kit only !

If there was another kit released, (only the 3 kits released 2 from Ford and 1 from Merc)

did the letter give a Service PN for the oval air cleaner itself?

The letter only had the engineering number (EDB-9600-B) for the oval air cleaner.

It crosses in the Master Cross Reference to part# B6A 9600 H .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kultulz asks

"Did you ever come across any reference that a separate BIRD Engine Dress-Up Kit"

The Dress Up Kit for T Birds was availiable from the introduction of the 55 Birds till the end of the two seaters production.

It is listed on gate sheets as "ENG DRESS KIT" at a cost of $15.00.

It consisted of the chrome air cleaner top for the single 4BBL engine,chrome oil breather cap and the Thunderbird aluminum valve covers.

While the "ENG DRESS KIT" was also availiable for the 1957 "E" Code setups, the air cleaner (which were a large round unit) were not chromed.

There does not seem to be a Service Parts Number for the ENG DRESS KIT. The only reference I can find is on the gate sheets.

Apparently it was a factory only offering.Not availiable in the field (except as individual parts)

The race kits were compleatly different critters than the dress up kits.

I had thought you were previously asking about a dress up kit for the passenger cars which never existed.
Dress up kits were availiable only for the T Birds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kultulz asks

(in addition to the BIRD specific kit B6A 9000-B K4) was available (Brite Finish) to explain the chromed oval air cleaner?"

The oval air cleaners were not chromed in the kit,they were argent.

Most got the chromed finish over the years.

Hope this helps.

Finally pictures of the unobtanium below

The chrome one is an XP model. (Ford eXPerimental engineering)
That is why the "FRONT" is in block.

The argent unit is what came in the B6A 9000-B K4 kit.

Hope this helps,Oldmics
It did and THANX!

What I meant about the BIRD ENGINE DRESS KIT was not the actual dress kit available on order (most likely offered an OTC kit also) but a 8V OVAL BRITE AIR CLEANER ASM (over 8V oval STD argent) which you have shown

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #86
KULTULZ

Post Re: Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

I am pretty sure the element(s) is not correct.

I have a factory kit release correct photo stored somewhere...

EDIT-

CRS AGAIN! Where's The Beef!?!?

The air cleaner is not correct as it is the oval air cleaner (unless two separate kits were issued or this is a real M 260 Factory Build).

The ACL ELEMENTS APPEAR TOO HIGH. Possibly correct replacements couldn't be found...?
OK. Found the factory release photo (shown in period speed magazine). The photo does show H4000's.

But,

I also discovered these (shown below). So there is something going on. The air cleaner asm. is on a ECZ 9424-C so less chance of a custom made filter asm. I have two references to this air cleaner, one HOLLEY, one CARTER.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 MERC M 260_2.jpg (21.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 M260 WCFB_1.jpg (16.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 M260 WCFB_2.jpg (18.3 KB, 19 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #87
scicala

Oldmics,

Does this mean there were three different air cleaner set ups for the Ford and Merc 260 HP kits ? One single large round that covered both carbs (Purolator), two single rounds (one for each carb), and the oval one pictured above to cover both carbs ?

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #88
KULTULZ

Question Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Oldmics,

Does this mean there were three different air cleaner set ups...

Sal
Four actually-

1) The FORD K3 Kit single large round,

2) The FORD K4 Kit single oval,

3) The MERC 66005 Kit listing two separate ACL's

4) The MERC M260 single oval (mtd on ECZ 9424-C MERC specific intake).

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #89
KULTULZ

Post Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post

Any ideas for a source for the element for the '57 Bird large round aircleaner? I have been using a supply of a GM tri power Fram filter that I bought many years ago. I tried K&N with no luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Your housing style is as below?

EDIT-

I found a repro but you ain't gonna like the price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Ford-P...-/263332251906

Photo Added Below-

PARTS ID INFO-

B7A 9601-G

14.79" ID - 17.34 OD - 2.88" H
Quote:

Are we still discussing "E" code elements ?

Or the regular single 4 element ?

Both items are availiable from the local T Bird venders such as Hill"s.

Oldmics
Seems he never got back but if the round '57 8V cleaner, i stumbled across the attached photo showing a NAPA element. Not sure if still offered but the info may help someone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S-L1600_crop.jpg (45.1 KB, 15 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #90
Oldmics
BANNED

Sal has it correct - 3 differing air cleaners styles

In the K3 kit was 1- large round Purolator

K4 kit had the oval

Merc had two helmet looking air cleaners.

The oval air cleaner pictured as a Mercury setup is not from the era.

It is a modern day "what if" unit that was made by a very fine craftsman that sells on eBay that I know.

Oldmics
Old 12-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #91
scicala

Thank you Oldmics. I didn't think that copper colored one with the M260 decal was correct for an original 260 HP kit for '56 Ford or Merc.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #92
KULTULZ

Post Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:

The oval air cleaner pictured as a Mercury setup is not from the era.

It is a modern day "what if" unit that was made by a very fine craftsman that sells on eBay that I know.

Oldmics
Can you point me to his store?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #93
Oldmics
BANNED

Kultulz

P.M. sent regarding the seller

Oldmics
Old 12-18-2017, 05:01 AM   #94
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:

Kultulz

P.M. sent regarding the seller

Oldmics
Received and appreciated...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #95
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowens55 View Post

Not shire how much help this will be.

My ECG 9424-D intake is 7 7/16" center to center front stud to front std. that leaves 3 15/16" (if my math is correct) rad for each air cleaner. Thus my choice of 2 @ 6 3/8"..think they were (pour memory) about 12 bucks apiece.

Bought 2 extra elements and stacked em. I'll try and find the pic. Personally think they look kinda kool.
Here is a photo of a 56 MERC M-260 (install said to be original - auction house) with the FORD POWER PACK ACL (showing stacked elements)

Now, to start beating the drums in the jungle...

As far as the mysterious 56 MERC 8V w CARTERS.

This was supposedly a distinct separate kit and must have used the 56 FORD 8V intake.

EDIT- Or, FORD had the ACL vendor fabricate a longer housing for this application.

There were supposedly fifty kits released directly before the 1956 DARLINGTON 500 (that would have made the application NASCAR compliant).

It cannot be said (IMO) that this never happened as there is no documentation. There is no known documentation and no documentation reputing the additional kit.

The documentation will be found in BILL STROPPE, HOLMAN-MOODY history and/or FORD Service Letter release(s).

This is the last detail I need to find as I have gathered a wealth of FYB info here, and I am deeply grateful to all.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-09-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 AM   #96
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of a genuine Air Cleaner on an unrestored 1957 Ford Thunderbird. Absolute pristine condition in every department.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #97
KULTULZ

Red face Re: E code Air cleaner housing

I answered this gentleman's question incorrectly-

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post

Any ideas for a source for the element for the '57 Bird large round aircleaner? I have been using a supply of a GM tri power Fram filter that I bought many years ago. I tried K&N with no luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ Posted 12-04-207 #78

B7A 9601-G

14.79" ID - 17.34 OD - 2.88" H

EDIT - CORRECTION

There were two elements issued for this 1957 E-CODE round ACL Housing, depending if installed on FORD or BIRD E-CODE-

FORD- B7A 9601-G - Dimensions Shown Above

BIRD- B7S 9601-B - Dimensions The Same Except For Height - 2.12in H

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #98
KULTULZ

Red face Re: E code Air cleaner housing

EDIT - CORRECTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ POST #95 01-09-2018 0411HRS

Here is a photo of a 56 MERC (Supposed Dedicated Restoration) M-260 (install said to be original - auction house) with the FORD POWER PACK ACL (showing stacked elements)

(Photo Showing Supposedly Dedicated 56 MERC M-260 Restoration)

WRONG!

The 8V 56 MERC 8V one piece oval ACL was unique in it's appearance as compared to the oval 56 BIRD 8V oval ACL release.

This is indifferent to the debate of it's actually being FORD VENDOR released or later fabrication.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #99
KULTULZ

NEW REFERENCE FOUND

I came across the below article while carousing with my browser. Let the games and debates begin...

ARTICLE- http://ctcc9.blogspot.com/2013/02/e-code-engine.html

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #100
Oldmics
BANNED

What would you like to discuss about that article ?

Oldmics