Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default Early Ford Radio's

I have what looks like a 35/36 Ford Radio box and controller unit, in decent shape, operation condition unknown but looks complete inside. Trying to verify the year and also any suggested or estimated value as is. Picture attached.

Anyone know who is good at restoring these and approx. cost?

Also have a Motorola 60 (I'm told its an aftermarket generic version) , with a steering column clamp type that I was going to have restored and put on my 32 for fun-need a speaker box though... Same questions-approx. value as is, what is general restoration cost and any referrals on who can restore it is welcome. Some have now an FM conversion I am hearing-any experience with how those work?

Thanks folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-36 Radio both.jpg (57.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 35-35 radio inside.jpg (58.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 35-36 Radio.jpg (53.2 KB, 92 views)
tjh6x6@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
CaliforniaBorn36

Default Re: Early Ford Radio's

If there is an on/off switch on the box it is 35. If it is powered on via the volume knob it is 36. I am sure some of the 35/36 experts can add much more detail.
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have what looks like a 35/36 Ford Radio box and controller unit, in decent shape, operation condition unknown but looks complete inside. Trying to verify the year and also any suggested or estimated value as is. Picture attached.

Anyone know who is good at restoring these and approx. cost?

Also have a Motorola 60 (I'm told its an aftermarket generic version) , with a steering column clamp type that I was going to have restored and put on my 32 for fun-need a speaker box though... Same questions-approx. value as is, what is general restoration cost and any referrals on who can restore it is welcome. Some have now an FM conversion I am hearing-any experience with how those work?

Thanks folks!
Many available restored for less than the cost to restore. I'll sell you one new caps/tubes/electric vibrator for $200, no head. yours worth maybe $100.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Some have now an FM conversion I am hearing-any experience with how those work?

Thanks folks!
I have a '55 converted to 12v/FM/IPod connection. I don't know if it is typical or who did it, but the tuner is finiky and hard to find a station. Suits me fine, though, 'cause I never listen to it anyway.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Don Rogers

You have what appears to be a 36 radio box. This box could have a remote speaker for enclosed cars as shown below, or an integral speaker for open cars/trucks.(Also shown below) Your control head should have an integral switch and the back should look like the photo below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36Rad01.jpg (142.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 36rad02.jpg (52.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 36rad03.jpg (90.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 36radio4.jpg (54.1 KB, 18 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
Paul Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I have a '55 converted to 12v/FM/IPod connection. I don't know if it is typical or who did it, but the tuner is finiky and hard to find a station. Suits me fine, though, 'cause I never listen to it anyway.
I like the features of these reconstituted radios but when I see what they strip out those tubes and install the guts stripped from a RadioShack radio which I wouldn't buy in the first place. If they took a quality Sony radio for inclusion I would jump at it for $500.

So I'm for tossing a Sony portable in the glove box for those rare occasions when I need news or weather.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
cas3

i think these aurora conversions are the best out there, not cheap, but not chinese junk either http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Des...tive_Home.html
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
rotorwrench

The radio sets can be restored to OEM specs then use an MP3 player to push music through the original amp via the antenna connection. "Upgrading" them to a tiny little pack of electonics placed in a big empty container just seems wrong to me. A lot of folks just have to have the modern with their antique. I prefer the simplicity of the antique but that's just my opinion. It's a free country.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote