Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
cobra5laddict

Default new to this era. Questions about phaetons or sedan convertibles?

l'm new to this era so i'm here to learn. I had a 28 roadster with a flathead and sold it. I have 2 kids and really missed having them with me to cruise around. im toying with the idea of a 4 seater convertible 32-40.
Ideally i'd prefer a 2 door car convertible that seats 4. Would that be a phaeton? or sedan convertible? Did such a car exist in 2 door configuration?

I'm hoping that the 32-40 era car will be a bit more suited for todays roads. the Roadster "A" was fun but took its toll on me after about 20 miles.
cobra5laddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
scicala

Default Re: new to this era. Questions about phaetons or sedan convertibles?

I believe all of the convertible sedans (phaetons) were four doors. Last year being '40. I'm not an expert, but think the two door convertibles had a back seat later on in the 1930's (like '39 and '40). I could be mistaken.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

My only advice would be, if you purchase a 4 door convertible, get as complete a car as possible. My friend did a '39 Ford for his father. Car was a basket case and they had a tough time finding some 4 door only brackets, etc. for the support of the car. That middle divider is actually a structural part of the car.

I believe 4 door converts had some of the lowest numbers of production in the years they were offered.

Almost nothing sheet metal-wise interchanges between the '39/'40 Mercury versions of the Ford car. The Mercury is slightly larger in every way. So odd.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Terry,OH

Look at the Club Cabriolet convertible from 36 on and the slightly later convertibles up to the war and even after. You get two doors and seating for 4.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
barnstuf

By definition a convertible (Coupe or Sedan) has a folding top AND roll up windows.

A roadster or a Phaeton do not meet the textbook definition of a convertible as they do not have windows.

A Roadster is an open car with one full width seat and a Phaeton is an open car with two full width seats. No roll up windows, but have side curtains.

I hope this helps newcomers to the hobby.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #6
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra5laddict View Post
l'm new to this era so i'm here to learn. I had a 28 roadster with a flathead and sold it. I have 2 kids and really missed having them with me to cruise around. im toying with the idea of a 4 seater convertible 32-40.
Ideally i'd prefer a 2 door car convertible that seats 4. Would that be a phaeton? or sedan convertible? Did such a car exist in 2 door configuration?

I'm hoping that the 32-40 era car will be a bit more suited for todays roads. the Roadster "A" was fun but took its toll on me after about 20 miles.

Here are some working definitions. They apply to domestic Ford but are not necessarily "official". They can vary depending on who's using them and may not apply to other makes and/or countries. All these body styles have folding tops but not all variations were available during the whole 32 - 40 period.

Roadster - has 2 doors, bench seat, and possibly a rumble seat; has no side windows, just curtains

Phaeton - can have 2 or 4 doors; rear bench seat, and front seat(s) usually are buckets in 2-door and bench in 4-door; has no side windows, just curtains; may have built-in trunk ("Touring" version)

Convertible (aka Cabriolet) - like roadster except has roll-up side windows

Convertible Sedan - like phaeton except has roll-up side windows

Club Convertible (aka Club Cabriolet) - has 2 doors, roll-up side windows, and bench seats in front (split-back) and rear; sort of a cross between a convertible and a convertible sedan, basically a convertible with a sedan-style rear bench seat instead of a rumble seat

A roadster or a convertible is a 2-door and will seat 4 with a rumble seat. AFAIK, 31 Model A phaeton and 32 convertible sedan were the last of those body styles with 2 doors. That leaves club convertible if you want a 32 - 40 car with 2 doors and a sedan-style rear bench seat. I believe those were only 36 - 38 and 40 (no 39). Prewar V8-era Fords may be more advanced than Model A but they're still old cars. Lists of V8 body styles are here:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Car_Codes.cfm#list

Last edited by CHuDWah; 10-18-2019 at 04:43 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
jimTN

Last Ford Phaeton was 1937.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Last Ford Phaeton was 1937.

Nope, 38 - last 2-door phaeton was 31 Model A
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
TJ

Quote:

Here's a site that may help you get to know the various open cars. www.memorylaneclassiccars.com. There is a '46 Ford convert., a 48 Merc. convert, a 39 Merc. convert, a 39 ford convertible sedan, a 37 Ford convertible sedan, a 36 phaeton and a 36 roadster. Lots of photos to help you get educated on these body styles.
Also go to ; cars-on-line.com. Lots more to look at and you can choose the various years of Fords. I think if you want an open car get one with roll up windows. I would also not recommend one with a rumble seat. Getting caught in the rain with no roof is not fun for the passengers.

Last edited by TJ; 10-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:42 AM   #10
Mart

Try
http://www.memorylaneclassiccars.com/
for the link above.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Mart, thanks for the correction
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

Right now on the Early Ford V8 Club website there are a few convertibles, and a 37 phaeton for sale, take a look:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/classifi...&c=Automobiles
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #13
danliveshere

Quote:

Google here is your friend.
Search 1936 ford club cabriolet. This is first model convertible with 4 seats inside a 2 door convertible. You can opt for a cabriolet or roadster with rumble seat but passengers are out the back. If you want heaps of room in the backseat search convertible sedan. My 1935 convertible sedan (still to be restored) has an amazing amount of room in the back Do searches for different models and years. Get to know your regional Efv8 club and go to events where you can get a real look at the cars and see what takes your fancy.
When I was younger I drove over 100,000 miles in my 35 roadster. I’ve never driven an A model but the overall improvements were massive in those few years. I hope this helps.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
paul2748

While the above is correct, to confuse you further in 56 Mercury called it's 4 door hardtop a Phaeton
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #15
scicala

Yes, the '56 Mercury Phaeton was a one year thing.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #16
itslow

1928-34 open cab (roadster) pickup. Just toss the kids in the bed. They'll dry out if they get wet.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote