Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Carburetor recommendations

Guys, I have recently bought a deceased estate of Model A parts. Amongst it all were several carburetors - a wheel barrow full of Zenith 1s and 2s and a Japanese copy of it (branded KTK ). There were 3 Marvel Scheblers and a Zenith from a B motor.
I have a motor I would like to put the best performing carby on. The motor has a 5.5 head on it and a slightly improved cam. I am torn between a couple of options so I thought I would ask the forum.
I know that the Zenith B has a larger throat and I have a B inlet manifold I could use with it. I would only need to fit a post onto it for the ignition advance mechanism, a requirement for RHD and non auto advance distributor. I also have an A manifold that I have bored out. It already has the post cast onto it.
What is the consensus on Marvel Vs Zenith B and which manifold? I would put a Renner's flow tested kit through the carby I choose.
I haven't completely forgotten the Zenith 1s but think the larger throat of the B gives it an advantage (after all, Ford used then for a reason) and the Marvels have received good comments on here before.
Do the internal components of the Zenith 1 fit the KTK?
Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
quickchange

Default Re: Carburetor recommendations

If your A manifold has been bore out to match the B carb then that's my choice, Same combination I run ,With the Mitchell o/d, Other wise you need auto advance dissy or just tap thread you b manifold for a pivot point , Derek in hot AZ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Depending on what you have for an engine, the best carb is the one carefully put together with known jet flow rates.

Recently I went through all my jets after building a water tube to Ford specs (see Vince Falter's website) and measuring them. I found most of the jets were flowing more then they should.

Secondly, I question some techniques to fill the jets and drill them. In some cases there is a depression that is probably important for operation on the outlet of the jet.

I believe it is less about the carb type and more about the right jets. The factory carb has its advantages with a single bolt take apart and a pretty good filter.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
If your A manifold has been bore out to match the B carb then that's my choice, Same combination I run ,With the Mitchell o/d, Other wise you need auto advance dissy or just tap thread you b manifold for a pivot point , Derek in hot AZ,
Thanks, Derek. Adding the post to a B manifold is not too difficult but I think an auto advance dizzy is in my future.
Say Hello to Sammy, Bonnie and Sam for me.
Thank you too ,Kevin.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
1930artdeco

The B carb will deliver the power but will also kill the MPG. The Marvel, I think gives good inbetween performance of the zenith and Model B.

Mike
Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
The B carb will deliver the power but will also kill the MPG. The Marvel, I think gives good inbetween performance of the zenith and Model B.

Mike
Yeh, I realise you can't have power without using more fuel. It's a trade off. Thanks for the input. Changing the carburetor is not a big job so maybe I use the Marvel for puttering around and the B for when I'm going to need POWER (like towing)