Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #61
Terry, NJ

Default Re: New guy with a crusty, rusty, 1930 A

Not really! I had an old body man surprise the heck out of me when he popped a pretty serious dent out of one of my rear fenders with a "Porta Power". He put it in place, pumped it up and the dent "Popped" literally! Did it take five minutes? Maybe, but no more! It won't work in every case, but it worked beautifully in that one. I realize that we're talking apples and oranges, but I use that case to illustrate just how easily some of these jobs can be done. I don't pretend to be a body man, but look through my pictures at some of the work I've done and I have very minimal experience at this. BTW You will need a MIG or TIG welder- Used about $150.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTTT View Post
Haha I think that only applies when there is metal left to hit

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 04-28-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #62
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Yep, 1930 Murray fordor, It might or might not be a Town Sedan. You got two radiators, so there's more than just the parts of one car. Check that wind shield frame out carefully. They're expensive so don't write it off too quickly if it seems rusty. They're worth saving.
Terry
agreed, anything you pull out of the pile and your either A not sure what it is or B you THINK its too rusted DONT throw anything in the scrap pile. That unknown bracket you just picked up could be a needle in a haystack piece or use 2 of them to make 1 as not every part is reproduced and some reproductions are junk.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #63
2001GTTT

Just learned that there was also a Model AA on the property as well, which would
Explain why I'm finding doubles of some parts. There's another building it may be hiding in, which would be amazing, highly doubtful though.
2001GTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #64
Cool Hand Lurker

When you get to that "other" building bring your camera! My knees are shaking already!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #65
2001GTTT

Made a little progress, will have more time
Tomorrow to mess
With it. There's definitely a car there!

Andddd they're all sideways . Wonderful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1923.jpg (75.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1924.jpg (83.6 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1925.jpg (54.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1926.jpg (69.9 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #66
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've always wondered why so many cars get parked, then taken apart with all the parts left in a pile to rust. My distant uncle did the same thing with a 1940 Ford sedan that he parked out behind the barn. I remember riding in the car when I was very young, then the next time I saw the car it was parked out behind the barn, then a year later it was in a pile of parts behind the barn.

At least your car still has the shocks on it. Wonder if they are salvageable?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #67
2001GTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've always wondered why so many cars get parked, then taken apart with all the parts left in a pile to rust. My distant uncle did the same thing with a 1940 Ford sedan that he parked out behind the barn. I remember riding in the car when I was very young, then the next time I saw the car it was parked out behind the barn, then a year later it was in a pile of parts behind the barn.

At least your car still has the shocks on it. Wonder if they are salvageable?
I wish I knew how this car got to be in this condition. I don't know if they are yet. There's so many parts of god knows what in there- I don't know what's for the car and what isn't. I'm overwhelmed lol.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #68
Terry, NJ

Very Simple! It got that way because of MOISTURE! Moisture is everywhere and it gets into everything and it's deadly on iron and aluminum. Taking it apart is not so bad, not protecting from the moisture is the real problem. And a building that has dirt floors, doesn't need holes in the roof. Laying a piece of vapor barrier and
pushing the car onto it would probably save some of it. But that's too much trouble! Oiling the block and parts will save a lot of damage, but again, too much trouble! Years ago, I had a friend who parked a 1964 Stude Avanti out side with NO protection. Another friend was looking for an Avanti and was all pysched up when I told him about it. He went down and looked at it and it was one of the big dissappointments of his career. The whole underside of the car needed to be replaced $4000 + for parts alone, labor? Go figure! All because there was NO protection!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTTT View Post
I wish I knew how this car got to be in this condition. I don't know if they are yet. There's so many parts of god knows what in there- I don't know what's for the car and what isn't. I'm overwhelmed lol.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #69
2001GTTT

Quote:
Very Simple! It got that way because of MOISTURE! Moisture is everywhere and it gets into everything and it's deadly on iron and aluminum. Taking it apart is not so bad, not protecting from the moisture is the real problem. And a building that has dirt floors, doesn't need holes in the roof. Laying a piece of vapor barrier and
pushing the car onto it would probably save some of it. But that's too much trouble! Oiling the block and parts will save a lot of damage, but again, too much trouble! Years ago, I had a friend who parked a 1964 Stude Avanti out side with NO protection. Another friend was looking for an Avanti and was all pysched up when I told him about it. He went down and looked at it and it was one of the big dissappointments of his career. The whole underside of the car needed to be replaced $4000 + for parts alone, labor? Go figure! All because there was NO protection!
Terry
I should've said I wish I knew who left it in such a way that it would lead to it being in this condition! I'm going to be heading to the property soon, I hope to have her completely visible today. Pics to follow
Old 06-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #70
2001GTTT

Ok so I messed around with the car a little bit today. As you can see, there is zero interior. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but there are some extra original parts there if anyone needs any, (radiator, shroud, wheels) possibly more but I didn't dig much, too hot.

Oh, and I didn't turn the phone sideways while taking pics so....sorry for the sideways pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2196.jpg (85.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2197.jpg (75.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2198.jpg (68.3 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2200.jpg (68.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2201.jpg (69.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #71
JDupuis

Did you find the AA yet?
Thanks for the updated photos. Hopefully you will save it. Jeff
Old 06-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #72
Terry, NJ

Well you've got your work cut out for you! Honestly, cars in worse shape have been restored. I believe every part can be restored or replaced. Sadly, I doubt if that engine will ever run again, but used engines are easy to find. At some point you probably are thinking "Damn, it's only a old Ford, why can't it be a Duesenberg, or a ________ ?" If you choose to restore it, you be very glad it's only a old Ford! Not only is the Model A a great car but almost every part on it is available. Whereas, with a D-berg very little can be bought. At the beginning of this forum are two "Stickies", the second one down is the one that has most vendors of new Mod. A parts. Many of these vendors are single guys working out of their Cellars, garages, and small shops and the quality of the parts is high, in many cases better than original. Have a couple of restorers or Mod A, local club members look it over. (Be careful of the guys who will haul it away or just take it off your hands) Get it out of that pile of debris and see just what the heck you're playing with. Get all the loose parts home where they can't walk. Radiators are made of copper and they are a good target for the dealers in "Midnight Auto Sales", get them under wraps!
Terry
Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #73
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Well you've got your work cut out for you! Honestly, cars in worse shape have been restored. I believe every part can be restored or replaced. Sadly, I doubt if that engine will ever run again, but used engines are easy to find. At some point you probably are thinking "Damn, it's only a old Ford, why can't it be a Duesenberg, or a ________ ?" If you choose to restore it, you be very glad it's only a old Ford! Not only is the Model A a great car but almost every part on it is available. Whereas, with a D-berg very little can be bought. At the beginning of this forum are two "Stickies", the second one down is the one that has most vendors of new Mod. A parts. Many of these vendors are single guys working out of their Cellars, garages, and small shops and the quality of the parts is high, in many cases better than original. Have a couple of restorers or Mod A, local club members look it over. (Be careful of the guys who will haul it away or just take it off your hands) Get it out of that pile of debris and see just what the heck you're playing with. Get all the loose parts home where they can't walk. Radiators are made of copper and they are a good target for the dealers in "Midnight Auto Sales", get them under wraps!
Terry
yea to build a model a about all you need is a straight front axle, external rearend,frame, and gastank. Rest can be bought.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #74
Synchro909

What Seaslugs said. I've brought cars back from a long way worse than what you have. Places like this forum and a local Model A club are your friends. Generally members are more than willing to help with their knowledge and advice. Remember, just about all parts are available.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #75
2001GTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
Did you find the AA yet?
Thanks for the updated photos. Hopefully you will save it. Jeff
Unfortunately the whereabouts of the AA are unknown. My grandfather passed away in 2013 and my grandmother isn't doing well and barely speaks or acknowledges our presence. I will absolutely try to ask her though, I know it's gone but hopefully can find out where it went to. My mother and her siblings don't know where it could be either. Wish I would've known and asked my pap back when I had the chance. He had a lot of cool classics on the property. I want to save the car but I'm afraid to pull it out of there cause I feel like it will rip in half.

Quote:
Terry
Thanks for the advice. It's in a pretty hidden spot but I will move all the parts to the farmhouse, just in case. I would love to just get it into a drivable condition, doesn't have to be perfect. I can just picture my great grandfather and grandfather riding around in this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
yea to build a model a about all you need is a straight front axle, external rearend,frame, and gastank. Rest can be bought.
Once I remove it from its current resting place I will try to get quality pictures so I can get opinions here. And if more current parts are easier to swap in and use I'll do that too!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #76
2001GTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
What Seaslugs said. I've brought cars back from a long way worse than what you have. Places like this forum and a local Model A club are your friends. Generally members are more than willing to help with their knowledge and advice. Remember, just about all parts are available.
That's honestly good to hear. I've got to get a motorcycle finished that I'm doing some things to, and quad that is also getting worked on, move the quad outta the garage and attempt
To move the model a into the garage without breaking it in two!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #77
JtownJoe

Hi, I see by the title it was registered to a David Brotz from Hollsopple, PA. It is a very small town about 6 or 7 miles from me, I live in Johnstown. Welcome to the Barn!
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #78
2001GTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtownJoe View Post
Hi, I see by the title it was registered to a David Brotz from Hollsopple, PA. It is a very small town about 6 or 7 miles from me, I live in Johnstown. Welcome to the Barn!
Thank you, I know right where you're at. My family is from Ligonier. We go up to jim and jimmies on somerset pike fairly often 👍🏼👍🏼
Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #79
daveymc29

I saw a big panel truck that had been so badly rotted there was only one side of it left to use to make a pattern for the opposite side. It got into judging if I recall correctly. One can always part stuff, but save it if you can. you'll be happy you did in the long run.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #80
2001GTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I saw a big panel truck that had been so badly rotted there was only one side of it left to use to make a pattern for the opposite side. It got into judging if I recall correctly. One can always part stuff, but save it if you can. you'll be happy you did in the long run.
I'm
Going to attempt it and give it a fair shot. I would love to have it going down the road again, the real question is, how many dollars will it take? Lol