Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
COE Dan

Default 1934 Pickup Fuel Tank Removal Query

I need to remove the fuel tank in my dad's '34 pickup due to too much rust/sediment in it. The tank also does not have a stock sending unit (the one installed is a non-hydrostatic King-Seeley gauge from a younger Ford and the fuel pickup comes out the front of the tank (similar to '34 cars?). I think the tank is a pickup tank and not a car tank but I could be wrong.

I have a few questions:

1) To remove the tank, I assume I disconnect it, unfasten the tank-to-frame bolts, and shift the tank to the driver's side to allow the passenger side end to clear the frame and drop down, then shift the tank right to drop the driver's side and pull the filler neck through the hole in the bed. Anything I'm missing?

Also, the filler neck nut is flush with the bed sides and I can't get a spanner on it to loosen it. The opening in the bed is big enough to allow the flared end of the neck through it but I don't know if there is enough clearance to maneuver it through that opening.

2) Can you remove the tank without removing the filler neck?

3) The fuel line is non-stock and needs replacement. Are there any locations that sell pre-bent lines for the '34 pickup or do I need to fabricate my own? Are there any patterns available?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Flathead Fever

Default Re: 1934 Pickup Fuel Tank Removal Query

I stuck a tank in a few months back just to fit everything together. I bought this truck completely disassembled. I don't think you could get the bed off without removing the filler neck and I couldn't get the tank in with the filler neck on. I jacked up the bed with two muffler screw jacks. The bed was bolted down, it was just sitting on the frame so it was no big deal.

What do you guys use to remove the filler neck? Is there a spanner wrench available? Did K.R. Wilson make a tool for this? I don't want to mess it all up pounding on it with a hammer and punch or a pipe wrench. How hard are they to get out, are they rusted together?

See those four arms coming off that hoist. Those have replaced all my friends! No more having to beg people to help come over and lift off bodies.

It sounds like your planning on going back to the original liquid filled gauge. I don't know of any reproduction steel lines available for the '34 pickup. I'm in the same boat, I'll need to make new lines for my '34 pickup too. It takes a little practice to get the bends exactly where you want them. If you need to flare the tubing just make sure to put the nut on first. I made the perfect flared end and was so proud of myself. The bends in the line were perfect. Then I looked down and saw the nut for the flare still on the bench. Another mistake I will never make again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4071 - Copy.jpg (41.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4027 - Copy.jpg (74.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4074 - Copy.jpg (67.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4042 - Copy.jpg (66.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4037 - Copy.jpg (70.2 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 01-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
COE Dan

To remove the filler neck, you need a spanner wrench. My KR Wilson catalog from 1940 doesn't show they made such a wrench but that isn't a definitive statement - someone more familiar with KR Wilson or other tool manufacturers may know.

If you search for spanner wrenches, there are 2 general types. A pin spanner and a hook spanner. The pin spanner has a cylindrical pin that is supposed to engage a hole in whatever you're wrenching. The hook type looks essentially the same but uses a flat face to engage a the nut. I believe this is the kind you need. Several manufacturers make wrenches. Here's a link to the Snap-on option which is adjustable for 1 1/4 inch to 3 inch applications and shows a picture:

https://store.snapon.com/Adjustable-...h-P633838.aspx

The fuel tank neck is approximately 2 1/4 inches.

I don't have a spanner and you can see from my post that I can't access the nut with such a wrench. I might be able to loosen the tank and extend it out the driver's side, remove the filler neck, then pull it through.

Last thing - don't forget the new lead washer when you reconnect your filler neck. The lead washer is designed to deform and create a seal. Reusing the old one or forgetting to install one will likely cause a leak.
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
I need to remove the fuel tank in my dad's '34 pickup due to too much rust/sediment in it. The tank also does not have a stock sending unit (the one installed is a non-hydrostatic King-Seeley gauge from a younger Ford and the fuel pickup comes out the front of the tank (similar to '34 cars?). I think the tank is a pickup tank and not a car tank but I could be wrong.

I have a few questions:

1) To remove the tank, I assume I disconnect it, unfasten the tank-to-frame bolts, and shift the tank to the driver's side to allow the passenger side end to clear the frame and drop down, then shift the tank right to drop the driver's side and pull the filler neck through the hole in the bed. Anything I'm missing?

Also, the filler neck nut is flush with the bed sides and I can't get a spanner on it to loosen it. The opening in the bed is big enough to allow the flared end of the neck through it but I don't know if there is enough clearance to maneuver it through that opening.

2) Can you remove the tank without removing the filler neck?

3) The fuel line is non-stock and needs replacement. Are there any locations that sell pre-bent lines for the '34 pickup or do I need to fabricate my own? Are there any patterns available?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dan
1--The tank drops down out of the passenger side.
lift the drivers side as high as you can get it and move
tank to left before lowering right side.

2--I think you may be able to, I always removed it.

3--You will need to shape the new line to fit. G.M.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
blackies 34

Thanks for the info guys. so do you recommend removing the tank from the bottom or removing the bed?
blackies 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
blackies 34

Thanks guys
Do you recommend removing the tank from below or removing the bed to remove it?
Old 02-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
nelsb01

It would be so much easier to remove the bed --- but then you need 4 guys, a place to put the bed etc.
If you can get it out from below, that is what Ford mechanics did years ago.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:39 PM   #8
Newc

Hi; just note the lead rings provide the filler neck seal... Do Not Use a sealer on the threads, they are very close tolerance. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
derek costello

I was told the filler neck fittings are always rusted in place and you will damage the tank trying to remove it .....Sooo I undid the tank and then tilted up the right side and it came out easy, (my truck has no floor). The other option is to get 4 tough guys and tilt the bed up off of the tank filler pipe...............

Does that Whizzer run??
derek costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #10
blackies 34

Thanks to all
1 will let you know the outcome