Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
bullrunmotor

Default What year did Ford go from a keyed steering shaft to spline shaft for steering wheel

I have a 31 Jalopy that I'm updating the old steering box to a 50-'s F-100. What year did they make the switch to splined shaft? Trying to find a period correct Ford Steering wheel to keep the Jalopy within its era. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Thanks in advance
bullrunmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: What year did Ford go from a keyed steering shaft to spline shaft for steering wh

I know the f1's were splined, but not sure what year was the first for splines. I can look it up tomorrow.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:48 AM   #3
leon bee

Default Re: What year did Ford go from a keyed steering shaft to spline shaft for steering wh

And my 46 pickup has a key.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:50 AM   #4
deuce lover

1949 for pass cars.Maybe 48 for trucks.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:44 AM   #5
Clem Clement

The model A had both designs so it is during 1928-31
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
hop up

I agree with deucelover 1949 as the Crestliner wheel has both splines and key and 1938 Zephyr wheel just has keyway and taper
Old 10-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
Frank Miller

Find the wheel you want and then, if you need to, weld a matching end to the steering box. Machine down about two inches of one end and then bore out the other for a light press fit. drill a few hole in the bore out end for plug welds and weld around the seam.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
Automotive Stud

Trucks went spline with the F1 in 1948, cars followed suit with the new body in '49. I have a F100 box in my roadster that I spliced the shaft from a junk '34 box on so I could run a '40's steering wheel.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
big job

What we did. We wanted the original wheel, column, spark and throttle levers . So yes the F1-F100 is spline'd and the original is keyed. After the F1 box was in the column
slid down where it belongs, then with measurements F1 box removed and both shafts
cut. So now with a sleeve welded on the F1 shaft and the model A keyed stub it got all
welded up-but you need the sleeve for open hole thru shaft for horn wire. Also no regrets
cutting the Model A box it was total junk. Just wait till you now drive its like power steering. If you read the history, Henry refused paying royalty's buying Gemmer or
Ross steering boxes so they made their own....by the way this build has a 1935 V8 and
the column spark & throttle levers are just for looks..........sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
woodiewagon46

Model A Ford's went from a splined steering wheel hub to a tapered and keyed hub in January 1930.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote