Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
sunshine

Default Re: Light switch diagram

I have isolated it to the headlights . Also checked fuse holder one of ethe first things did. Although i have ground enough to work the hd. Lites .s0me thing i may have a bad or weak ground. So i am going to replace the grounds in the buckets thank you. Sunshine
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #22
Don Rogers

When I was trouble shooting poor grounding or over painted connections, I used a battery jumper cable....one end clipped to the motor or chassis the other end clipped to the suspected problem area ( in your case headlight bucket ). If the problem went away with the cable attached, then I discovered where the issue was
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
I have isolated it to the headlights . Also checked fuse holder one of ethe first things did. Although i have ground enough to work the hd. Lites .s0me thing i may have a bad or weak ground. So i am going to replace the grounds in the buckets thank you. Sunshine
It is possible but a little odd that both headlights would be the issue. Have you tried disconnecting them one at a time to see if it is just one side?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #24
sunshine

I HAVE isolated to hd. lites only as stated before. also checked fuse holder one of the first things I did . I going to replace the grounds in the hd. lite buckets. as some think I may have a weak ground SUNSHINE
Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #25
Jack E/NJ

Sorry, a poor ground *usually* doesn't blow fuses. A good ground to something that shouldn't be grounded, seems like the issue.

Like JSeery suggests. Pull one receptacle at a time from the sealed beams. Test lights. If it still blows without the lights attached, there's a short somewhere between the switch and the headlight receptacles. Pinched wire or something.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I HAVE isolated to hd. lites only as stated before. also checked fuse holder one of the first things I did . I going to replace the grounds in the hd. lite buckets. as some think I may have a weak ground SUNSHINE
Well, good luck but dought that is the issue. The best way to work electrical issues is to isolate the problem. Just headlights is not much to go on. Need to determine if it is a wire issue and which one, or if it is a different component in the circuit. I have worked electrical issues for years, and just trying to help here.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #27
Karl Wescott

Try calculating the amperage draw for your headlights and taillights. Use this thread as a guide. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47571.

The fuses are to PROTECT THE WIRING FROM OVERHEATING AND CAUSING FIRE. If the wire size is correct for 20 amp do not exceed it.

If your lighting requirements are more than 20 amps then consider a relay to allow heavier wiring and more amperage from the battery/generator to the lights. (The light switch then provides low amperage signal current for the relay).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #28
sunshine

JSeery thank you for your help and patience . The problem is I have not worked electrical problems. very much. I guess I am going to find some local help with this. THANK YOU SUNSHINE
Old 09-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #29
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
JSeery thank you for your help and patience . The problem is I have not worked electrical problems. very much. I guess I am going to find some local help with this. THANK YOU SUNSHINE
Might be a good idea. It is not very likely that the grounds would be causing a 30A fuse to overhead and blow. Grounds are about 90% of wiring issues but this sounds more like excessive current draw somewhere. Karl's suggestion is a good one if it is the headlights themselves that are responsible for the current draw. I have a diagram on connecting headlight relays if you decide to take that approach I can post it.