Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
eagle

Default Generator Regulator

My daily driver 29 Fordor charged fine (about 18 amps continuously, checked with a modern digital meter) but I was worried about overcharging the battery so yesterday installed a regulator from Mac's. It is encased in the original looking cutout package so looks completely stock. The directions said to adjust to a maximum of 15 amps via the 3rd brush before installing the regulator. When I tried to adjust the 3rd brush it was very hard to get it to 15 amps. A 1/8 inch adjustment takes it from 6 amps to 18 amps. I finally got it to about 14.5. After putting the regulator on, it charges really nice, about 10-12 amps when its first started then tapers off to about 3-4 amps within a couple of minutes. However, when running the light on it won't keep up. Has a negative reading of about 5 amps. I run the 50/32 CP (??? think thats right??) bulbs. The car is truly a daily driver, I use it every day unless the weather is bad so need lights. If I turn the 3rd brush back up to 18 amps I worry about the regulator and the generator.... any advice?
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Generator Regulator

With the 50 cp bulbs you will run with a discharge, but it doesn't matter if you drive enough with the lights off. (all cars ran with a discharge at night in the A era unless they had special a special need--the "AA" bus had a special generator, there were 2 special generators for police cars---one that charged at low speeds, one for radio cars

i used to have as much as a 18A charge rate to get bright 50cp bulbs, then I put in the direct fit halogen bulbs (from classicandvintagebulbs much better than 50cp)--then at 14-15A I could have a 1A charge with the headlights on

18A is a little much for the gen to have the longest life, any weakness in the insulation, connections, windings etc. and there will be a massive failure ---I would run with the cover off to help it cool
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote