Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Gas leaking from carb after shut off

or you can investigate this carb from Berts for 195.... many here have purchased his units with all positive reviews.....
Steve @ Berts also posts on this board
http://parts.modelastore.com/show_Pr...ame=Carburetor
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Like Mitch said, if your carb is old, worn out, fussy, just buy a Berts' Quality rebuilt one & with a pencil filter in the fuel valve & a decent sediment bowl, you'll be set for YEARS of trouble free service. Sometimes, we jist GOTTA' BITE THE BULLET !
if YOU broke, JIST CALL THE DOG @ 1-800-MONEY.
Bill W.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #23
eagle

This is getting way too complicated... Fix your shutoff valve or replace it. Then, shut off the fuel a minute before you shut off the car. Problem solved. If it runs good, don't mess with the carb.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #24
carol ann

Thanks Mitch, Bill and Eagle. yes it is complicated ...and i appreciate everyone's ideas - after reading all the responses i feel i know my model A better now; I don't know anyone else with a model A where i live so the FordBarn community is great support!. I've ordered a rebuilt carb from Bert's (just in case) and I am replacing the shut off valve tomorrow. Will update everyone if i get any ah ha moments about this issue.
carol ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #25
Michael M

Carol Ann, if you post your town in your profile, others who live nearby may be able to help. Perhaps even direct you to a local club.

Good luck!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
carol ann

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hello 31 coupe lovers. my reply is incredibly delayed! so sorry! life and my mom's illness became the priority. I want to provide the resolution to my posted problem as I value our collective experiences. Shortly after the initial discussion threads and not being skilled in rebuilding the shut off valve itself, I decided to replace the valve with a plumbing bathroom sink water shut off valve because i had safety concerns about the gas leak. To my amazement, it worked and there was no more gas leaking. I will be replacing the sink shut-off valve with the 1931 ford gas valve shut off however, it has been several years and to date no leaking. Of course I know this is not acceptable to ford restoration but it has kept me safe and loving this car until I can do the restorative work.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #27
Brentwood Bob

Good practice to use original parts when possible.
Have you located a local area club yet?
Youtubes only cover part of the issues that come up.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #28
carol ann

Hello Brentwood Bob, yes I have found local clubs and the people I have reached out to have been extremely helpful. The purpose of my sharing the fix using the sink shut off valve from my local hardware store was simply to share my out of the box creativity in a pinch. I never saw this on YouTube. I simply surmised that in a pinch it might work.
Have a great day
Old 10-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #29
TerryH

Thanks for posting your follow up…..some don’t and we’re left wondering. Glad to see you have it under control!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #30
skeazle

I just got done replacing my fuel shut off valve last week for the second time in 2 years. The lever on the new valve worked like a charm but after a good while it was getting harder and harder to open and close. So I put a new one on and now it moves flawlessly. I tore the old one apart and sure enough there was little dirt in there that was causing friction plus preventing the valve to fully close letting gas through. I blame it on Chinese parts but I do think this new one I have on here is made in USA. Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #31
carol ann

That is so informative Jim. I have a 1928 sedan and the previous owner had the gas tank cleaned out while still in the car but he told me the tank will need to be replaced. There has always been a gas smell in the garage from this car but i could never find an actual leak on the floor or otherwise. Since there is no filter between the tank and the shut off valve and there is debris in the tank, what you've shared may have solved where the gas smell is coming from. There may be some debris in the shut off valve causing a very small leak into the carburetor that simply evaporates rather than puddling. Many thanks, I love how helpful this forum is!