Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
coatings03

Default Carb riser on stromberg 81 carb

Happy 4th to all barners,
I have a question about the downdraft carbs using the carb risers 4”;6” and 8”. What significant benefit does this have installing a 2-carb set up on a model a engine.

Thank you,
Jim m
coatings03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
emf

Default Re: Carb riser on stromberg 81 carb

Check out this site. it seems they won't help a bit under 5000 RPM...

Spacer

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
coatings03

Frank,
Very good article explains the process and answers that question!��

Thank you,
Jim m
Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
MrBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatings03 View Post
Happy 4th to all barners,
I have a question about the downdraft carbs using the carb risers 4”;6” and 8”. What significant benefit does this have installing a 2-carb set up on a model a engine.

Thank you,
Jim m
I'm fighting the problem (never run a downdraft before) with a Stromberg 97 on a Model A which is inserted with a Lions head. Runs good except for start up. It is flooded without any choke...has to burn off gas...bothers me as I don't want to wash the rings out. Only time it doesn't blubber is when I have just driven it? I'm wondering if the fuel pump pressure is too high? I've got a "Burns" setup with two Stromberg 81's but feel I don't need two carbs so am not going to use it. Any help on the fuel at start up...?
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

Try swapping one of the 81's for the 97 or have "Uncle Max" on the EV* forum rebuild the 97.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
MrBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Try swapping one of the 81's for the 97 or have "Uncle Max" on the EV* forum rebuild the 97.
Paul in CT
The 97 is new. I don't want to break the set of two 81's from the Burns manifold as I am going to get rid of that set up. I'm wondering about taking the block out from under the carb and then hooking it up as gravity feed instead of the electric fuel pump? I picked up a gauge to see what pressure the pump is putting out and see if it could be two high? I heard that it shouldn't be more 2.5 lbs pressure from the pump? Just trying to get the fittings correct to hook up the gauge
Old 07-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
Jim Brierley

Mr. Bruce, I would shut your fuel pump off 30 seconds, or more, before turning off the engine. This eliminates any pressure in the system. Residual line pressure will push fuel into the bowl as the engine sits there, and cause your starting problem. I shut mine off as I enter my driveway. You might also check the fuel level in the bowls to be sure they aren't too high. A pair of 81's isn't too much in most cases but I recommend one 97 for a mild touring engine. I run three 81's on my speedster, it runs great and gets good fuel mileage.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

emf, Not sure that I agree with the article on spacers. I believe longer 'runners' give more velocity, so run better on the street. Try them on your A and see how they work.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
MrBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Mr. Bruce, I would shut your fuel pump off 30 seconds, or more, before turning off the engine. This eliminates any pressure in the system. Residual line pressure will push fuel into the bowl as the engine sits there, and cause your starting problem. I shut mine off as I enter my driveway. You might also check the fuel level in the bowls to be sure they aren't too high. A pair of 81's isn't too much in most cases but I recommend one 97 for a mild touring engine. I run three 81's on my speedster, it runs great and gets good fuel mileage.
Jim
That's the info I was looking for, I was shutting my tank off coming down the road but I don't think the shut off is that good so I had bought a switch and was going to do what you said. So, you confirmed what I was thinking...thank you...not used to these down draft carbs. Love the looks of them.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
emf

Jim, I was just pointing to an article that talked about risers. My pair of 81's on a Burns manifold run just fine for me without risers.

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #11

I have a 97 on mine, I just disconnected the fuel pump and regulator, I was getting similar problems. I do prefer to run gravity feed because its 2 less items I need to worry about. The only problem is, I cant go over 60mph on gravity.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #12
coatings03

I’m going to first try running gravity feed, see how that works out. Keeping the 81’s as low as possible without any phenolic spacers. Spoke to Charlie Price(Vintage Speed-Florida) he mentions keeping the carbs low and use 2nd carb with just a slight crack opening!

Jim m
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
Jim Brierley

emf, I don't run risers either, and have good luck with them. I do some racing, and have seen a lot of articles on this, so just repeating what I have seen, and believe.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
Jim
That's the info I was looking for, I was shutting my tank off coming down the road but I don't think the shut off is that good so I had bought a switch and was going to do what you said. So, you confirmed what I was thinking...thank you...not used to these down draft carbs. Love the looks of them.
That is what I do with my 94 and electric pump. shut it off before I get to the garage. It does away with the gas perking when you stop.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote