Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
pgerhardt

Default "Gener-Nator"?

Currently I am running a Powermaster alternator/generator look-a-like in my 29 tudor. However it is not a complete solution. The Powermaster is 1 & 1/4 inches larger in diameter than the model A generator. I think they just shipped their V-8 unit with the brackets needed to install on a model A. On a V-8 size is not an issue since the generator is on top of the engine with nothing else around it (Picture 1), but on the model A the larger size means that the Powermaster unit rubs up against the block. I have a piece of rubber keeping them separate (picture 2) . However it is not a good solution.

I am in touch with Don Allen who can build a "Generator-Nator" (an alternator in an actual model A generator case). This would be a true solution, but these are NOT cheap at $1K. This was expected as this is not a manufactured product, but appears to be custom built by Don for each order.

I am at the age, and stage of life, where I can afford one. However I don't want to throw away $1K either. has anyone out their run one of Don's "Gener-Nators", and how it it perform for you?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Engine_completeV8-60_color.jpg (23.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3581.jpg (38.6 KB, 150 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
GerryAllen

Default Re: "Gener-Nator"?

Please I am not being cheeky. My suggestion is buy a standard alternator and be happy that you could afford better if you wanted. I looked at the same option you bought and thought how often am I going to open the hood to admire the alternator casing
JMHO
Gerry Allen Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

1000 dollars, That is a lot of gas for driving. What are your expectations for the unit?

That is the top question to be answered.

The generator can be restored with a regulator for far far less than a grand. This will give you a unit that will provide more years of service then you have on this earth.

But that I just me, what do you want?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Jason in TX

There is someone in the Denver CO area doing these in original V8 cases. The V8 ones I've seen are VERY nice. I've sent him a message. He may reach out to you if he is available or can help.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

I used a longer belt, not a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Currently I am running a Powermaster alternator/generator look-a-like in my 29 tudor.
Are your wires connected properly? My wires connect to the lug on the front side of the "Fake cutout" per instructions.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-11-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

I run a completely stock original model A generator on 12 volts with good service . I run a Fun Projects can style 12 volt voltage regulator that takes the place of the cut out . Fun Projects also offers a 6 volt and 8 volt version of the can style voltage regulator . If high amps for lots off accessories is required , an alternator would be a better choice .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Badpuppy

According to Jim Schild's "Restorer's Model A Shop Manual" the powerhouse was used through mid-1929. Apparently Y-Blockhead's solution is correct. Keep what you have and put your money into a new fan belt.

Good info - http://www.biedlers-belts.com/single...r-ii-belt.html

Last edited by Badpuppy; 07-11-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

What if you use a longer fan belt and redo the tension bracket??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
antiquepa

I have one on my 31 roadster, my problem was that it sat on top radiator hose so i got a little shorter belt, so far so good. sounds like you'll need a little longer belt. I do like my gen/alt. and it looks like it belongs.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
antiquepa

[it sat on top of bottom radiator hose]
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

Are your wires connected properly? My wires connect to the lug on the front side of the "Fake cutout" per instructions.

Can you tell me the part number for the belt that worked for you? When I used a longer belt (the stock one) the Powermaster pulley rubbed against the lower radiator hose.

On the model A generator the power output terminal is near the front of the generator. the power passes through the cutout and your wires are connected toward the back of the generator (picture 1). To get a similar look I mounted a nice ford script cutout backwards on the Powermaster. (picture 2) No current passes through the cutout. It comes out of the power output terminal (near the rear of the Powermaster) and to my wiring. Most never realize it is backwards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.39.37 PM.jpg (50.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3581.jpg (38.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Can you tell me the part number for the belt that worked for you? When I used a longer belt (the stock one) the Powermaster pulley rubbed against the lower radiator hose.
Hmmm, we don't have many options. I'm running a Gates B41 (44") and it works fine. The stock belt is a Gates B40 (43") and that was too short for mine.

About rubbing on the hose, I don't know if there is a difference between a '29 (yours0 and '30 (mine).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
jrelliott

I am running an original Power House (3 brush) at 12 Volts. Do not have a voltage regulator on it as yet, but in the process of designing one that will go inside the case. Puts out about 10Amps on the lowest brush setting. The generator neither hits the block or the bottom radiator hose. Think this generator is larger in diameter than the generator/alternator you are looking at. Get the longer 44 inch belt as other have suggested.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #14
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

The belt here looks way out of line, but of course it might just be the angle from which the photo was taken.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #15
Badpuppy

Set the generator where you like it and measure the length of a string run around the pulleys. I'd say a B41 would do it.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #16
AL in NY

Russ Evans in Simi Valley, California makes an alternator that looks exactly like the Model A generator, cutout included. It's a 45 amp, 6 volt, positive ground unit that will pass fine point judging. It cost about $385.00 (one year ago). Russ stands 100% behind his alternators and will replace any defective units without question. He is a Model A guy and will build the unit for your car, just supply him with your month/year build date and he will make up one exactly as needed for your car. He doesn't have a web site or email, but he can be reached by phone at (805) 583-4221. He also makes a 12 volt, negative ground unit. I bought mine from Russ because I felt better about giving my money to him verse a big corporation.

New number for Russ Evans: (805) 428-2564
Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #17
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Russ Evans in Simi Valley, California makes an alternator that looks exactly like the Model A generator, cutout included. It's a 45 amp, 6 volt, positive ground unit that will pass fine point judging. It cost about $385.00 (one year ago). Russ stands 100% behind his alternators and will replace any defective units without question. He is a Model A guy and will build the unit for your car, just supply him with your month/year build date and he will make up one exactly as needed for your car. He doesn't have a web site or email, but he can be reached by phone at (805) 583-4221. He also makes a 12 volt, negative ground unit. I bought mine from Russ because I felt better about giving my money to him verse a big corporation.

New number for Russ Evans: (805) 428-2564
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #18
Badpuppy

The Powermaster is probably correct for your '29. I don't believe they were used on V-8s.