Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
lee in bend

Default TWIN-X 2-Speed rear end

I have one of these rear ends in my Victoria and need to know if anyone can tell me anything about how to maintain it. I try to shift it only at very low speeds as it tends to grind a bit at higher speeds and that isn't good. Been told these are not common and am considering changing to a Mitchell and preserve this unit. Talked to Steve Mitchell about it recently at the NW Regional Meet in Bend, OR. He said he'd never seen one of these. Thanks in advance. I don't come to Ford Barn often but I'll come back to see if anyone has any info.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
lee in bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: TWIN-X 2-Speed rear end

I would contact Ron or BJ Miller at Ron's Machine in Shandon, Ohio (513-738-7353) as they have one in a Model-A Coupe that they use to pull their teardrop camper with. They have rebuilt it and it does well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01332.JPG (145.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01331.JPG (149.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg iowa_BJ_Pics 131.jpg (51.2 KB, 132 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Unless it is giving problems I would leave it alone. I bet it starts a lot of conversations with people you otherwise would never meet. Maybe you could even place a mirror under the car like they did at custom car shown in the sixties to show off their chrome undercarriage. I saw one of these at a swap meet about 30 years ago but none since.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

NEVER heard of that rear end, BUT, I'd trade Gregg for it & that teardrop trailer, Chief had a Blue trailer, much like that one. He called it, "OUR ROUTE 66 AIRSTREAM"! Bill W.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Drive Shaft Dave

The Model A Accessories book I have show's the Twin X.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Bruce,Upstate NY

THE twin X is a planetary underdrive like a Ruckstell as used in a T Ford. They were available with close ratio gears in direct drive, giving a closer highway ratio. They use a dog clutch, so they aren't a smooth shift. Tapping the clutch and backing off the throttle when going from low to high and tapping the clutch an giving a little more throttle when down shifting make a reasonably good shift. Shift should be a good snap of the lever from one ratio to the other. A lazy shift could cause you to be free wheeling and having to stop to get it back in gear.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
columbiA

THE Twin-X Overdrive is a very rare unit.I looked & looked,but couldn't find one.I modified a 40 Ford Columbia OD to fit.It has given no problems in over 100,000 miles.The Columbia has a planetary OD.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
kelley's restoration

i want one if there is one out there for sale
tk
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
larrys40

Sounds like Brent has you on the right track for some seasoned Twin X experience contacts.... Probably like the Columbia, they may have some weaknesses. They are a rare piece. As I understand they may freewheel... which is one feature I wouldn't like. If I'm incorrect here please know I don't have any personal experience on them.
I just know they are enormously rare.. and would be cool to own one if you have the chance.

Having rebuilt a number of Columbia's and running one in my own '40, they are a beautiful overdrive. The planetary set acts like a huge flywheel and just effortlessly pushes the car along.... I'm also running a Ryan in my '30 Tudor with a 3:54 gear set back from the '80's . When I installed it I had the 3:54 in the car from when I restored it early 80's, and thought I'd try it and if it didn't work out go back to the 3:78. Sure you have to shift early once in a while but I have a strong engine and Snyder HC head and it does just fine. Have logged many miles including several trips to Colorado, Pikes Peak, other mountain roads and passes and the 6 speeds has been wonderful to have. I was of course on the BR Tour this past spring.

After having installed and ran the Ryan, a number of Mitchell overdrives, and the Mitchell trans... in other folks cars, My best opinion for the Model A is the Mitchell overdrive...as I find it just a little more natural shifting a stick shift than a cable for the Columbia in the "A". It's part of the aura of the car for me. An option would be to use the electric shift valve (B3X) from John Connelly and have a switch on the dash or gear shift. They also need a clutch lockout for the shift valves. I have dealt with a number of the Mitchell Trans and they are good as well.. but honestly I personally like the feel of the stock Model A trans. In my opinion with the overdrive, it allows the car and you to cruise much more comfortably with less engine RPM's , water pump/fan, etc and everything else so much in addition to gaining a few miles per hour on the freeway. That said... anyone who installs these should make sure the rest of your mechanicals is top notch, steering, brakes, front end, wheels,tires.. etc

Just my 2 cents worth!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote