Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Digger

Default 2 door phaeton project, how much is it worth

I am going to look at the 2 door Phaeton for sale, not sure of the year. Straight body but needs full restoration, any idea what it’s worth? No top no interior, assume no engine of any use.

Actufrom the photo can’t tell if it’s a 2 door or 4 door, but will find out after a four hour drive today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4137C69-D026-4E18-92F2-BFC252E558AC.jpg (52.0 KB, 562 views)
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
flatford39

Default Re: 2 door phaeton project, how much is it worth

You sure it's not a roadster. Appears to be 31.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Digger

No not sure, this is the only info I have, and was told by the fact was a Phaeton. They also have a fordor similar condition and a restored 30 Coupe.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Roadster62

Lots of them came up from South America, they tend to be driven to death. All wood sub frame in the body. I worked on one two years ago, you really have to love them to get things right. Bob
Old 07-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Digger

How can I tell USA from South America?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

It looks like a four-door Standard Phaeton to me. The two-door Deluxe Phaeton's doors are VERY wide, much wider than the passenger's door seen in the photo. There appears to be the narrow divider section between the front and rear doors in your photo, which makes it a Standard Phaeton. Cowl lights were not standard on this body style, so someone has added them. Standard Phaetons in 1931 were not plentiful at 4,076 produced. Even if this is not a Deluxe Phaeton, it's a low production body style for that year, hence desirable for collecting, besides the added attraction of it being a convertible Model A.
Without the top or interior - and assuming nothing else major is missing or damaged - I would guess the value as it sits to be around $7,500-8,000. You'll have a few thousand in a new top assembly, top material, seats springs and upholstery, which will bring it up to at least $13,000 invested. The tires are undoubtedly no good = $1,000+ for five tires and inner tubes. And this estimate assumes the mechanical aspects can be freshened up without complete rebuilds. But one has to always ask himself: why was this car parked away if it still functioned? There's usually something seriously wrong with "barn" finds because that's why they were parked away in the first place.
Good luck with the purchase!
Marshall,
1928 and 1931 Phaetons, 1931 Deluxe Phaeton

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-21-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add "be"
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
How can I tell USA from South America?
Telling USA from South America isn't hard even if people from both speak funny!!
What does it matter where it's from? If it's the style you want, go for it.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

Most South American Model A's are right hand drive, meaning the steering wheel is on the "wrong side" of the car. They are almost always WAY over-used and beaten to h*ll, with many major and minor alterations performed to keep them on the road in the past 90 years. Lots of phaetons were originally sent down that way for some reason. They were quite popular as taxi cabs well into the end of the last century. A guy named Sam Sherman from NYC used to run ads in "Hemmings Motor News" and the "Restorer" in the 1960's and 1970's, selling South American phaetons w/photos, sometimes four phaetons at a time. As I recall, the catch was that YOU had to ship them to the States and pay all the charges and duties. I imagine some phaeton owners on this site have these South American phaetons in their possession that may or may not have been converted to left-hand drive.
If you come across a South American phaeton that is unrestored, you'll be able to recognize it for what it is: a very, VERY tired Model A that will take thousands and thousands of dollars and a great deal of hard work to breath life back into it. My neighbor two houses up has been working on repairing a S.A. 1930-1 Standard Phaeton body for the past seven years! It's looking like a car now, but boy, did he invest a lot of time and money - and frustration!
Marshall
Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
updraught

I thought the wood sub frame was something they only did here? More wood in 1930 as the recession was really hitting and extra local content was called for.

I've only seen a truck load of bare chassis frames at a swap meet years ago from South America.

They had had a hard time, even by our standards. Big cracks and lots of bits welded on.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Digger

Just got back from my 9 hour road trip, photos attached. It is a two door Phaeton, they told me wood work done by an expert in the San Jose, Ca area many years ago. They are asking 17,500

They also had a 29 Graham Paige
Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
Synchro909

If any barners are looking to convert a Model A from RHD (where the steering wheel is on the RIGHT side) to LHD and it has a 2 tooth steering box, I'll put my hand up for the steering column at least.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
Marshall V. Daut

Great! "Glad to see it turned out to be a Deluxe Phaeton after all! The price is not out of line for such a desirable body style built only in 1930-31 in two-door form. In fact, it's a pretty darned good price, even missing the top assembly. I sold one of my 1931 Deluxe Phaetons three months ago for $22,500 and it isn't as nice as this one, although it does have a top assembly. If you don't buy it, someone else will - and soon!
Before you buy, though, make sure the body isn't a fiberglass repo that was sold a couple decades ago. I am not talking about the Glassic phaeton wannabe from the 1960's, which barely looked like a phaeton. Someone made a pretty good Deluxe Phaeton copy in fiberglass. Ask the owner to stick a magnet to the body, if you prefer not to make a nine hour return trip. If the magnet sticks, it's metal. If it falls off, the body is fiberglass, which DRASTICALLY affects the value of the car. Better to find out before you make the leap that the body is a fake. I sure hope not!
Marshall
Marshall
Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
Digger

It is definitely a real metal Ford, that I checked
Old 07-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #14
KUDZUVIPER

It appears that the top frame and wood are included, you will need to just need to get the canvas/top material. Door looks a little odd, it just might be the pix angle.
KUDZUVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
Marshall V. Daut

Yes! The recently-posted photos show the wood top bows and maybe some of the metal top frame. That saved you a BUNCH of money! Is the special trunk rack also present with its METAL faux woodgrained slats? If so, SUPER WOW!!!
Marshall
Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #16
Digger

Possibly there was a lot of stuff around.

They also have a 30 Coupe but asking double what it is worth, $15k

And a 57 T bird project 16k, frame/engine pic would not load
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6035DB5A-5A3D-4838-8010-3A820492A431.jpg (82.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg A96701E3-34BB-40C3-85F3-C58C64154AD5.jpg (62.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

When "some" folks do a Barn Find, they're so NIEVE, they think with a battery & gas, they can drive it home---LOL & LOL
Bill Doubtful
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #18
Digger

Don’t forget the spark....
Old 07-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #19
Charlie Stephens

Be sure to add up the pieces it will take to finish it and then compare the result to what you can buy a restored one for.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #20
Dave Mellor NJ

Hard totell with certainty from here but that door sure looks like a standard. Check the rear 1/4 the rear door could have been welded shut and blended in to the 1/4 panel
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote