Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #21
daveymc29

Default Re: Steering dampener

Tacoma Bob. I doubt the shorter pitman will cure your wandering. I would check that the pitman arm is tight onto its shaft coming out of the F100 Box. Next I would remove any play from the pitman arm end and the tie-rod ends, then set the toe in and go for a ride. If it still wanders much I would recheck my setting on the F 100 box itself. Also if you are running 21 inch wheels and tires, they do follow groves in the road. Just the nature of the beast. That is the main reason I am using the 600 X 16's on the ground. They are less apt to follow a groove, wider tires.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
Tacoma Bob

Will do Dave. I figured if I snug up the tie rod ends I would need to make sure on the toe in. Pitman arm seems snug but I again I will recheck everything. Thanks again.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #23
1crosscut

Snugging up the tie rods ends will necessitate checking and probably resetting the toe in but it will most likely be worth the effort.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #24
Pete F

If you are just measuring the toe yourself you really aren't doing the right thing. Bring the car to an alignment shop and have a four wheel alignment done so that the front end can be aligned to the rear end and you can also see where the caster is.
People are going to think I'm crazy because of the straight front axle but you have no way to tell how straight the cat is tracking without a machine.
And as far as the steering damper goes if the car has the death shake put one on and save yourself time and money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pete F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #25
daveymc29

I would never use a steering damper. they will bend and re-bend your tie-rod as you drive. I took mine off and tossed it for that reason, on a truck I had, then fixed the problem. They are a sorry excuse for not fixing what is wrong with your machine. Just my humble opinion.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I would never use a steering damper. they will bend and re-bend your tie-rod as you drive. I took mine off and tossed it for that reason, on a truck I had, then fixed the problem. They are a sorry excuse for not fixing what is wrong with your machine. Just my humble opinion.
Dave,
Some dampers were made with a WAY TOO HEAVY a shock & will sometimes bend the tie rod. If the shock resistance is proper, they work well. Several later cars had them from the FACTORY, even.
DON'T condemn them as a general rule, when they were set up with the WRONG resistance.
TOO OFTEN, folks just REPEAT the same old RHETORIC, like, "IT'S the CONDENSOR or THE COIL, ETC, ETC" (The Dog calls that, "PARROT TALK")
Bill W.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #27
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Dave,
Some dampers were made with a WAY TOO HEAVY a shock & will sometimes bend the tie rod. If the shock resistance is proper, they work well. Several later cars had them from the FACTORY, even.
DON'T condemn them as a general rule, when they were set up with the WRONG resistance.
TOO OFTEN, folks just REPEAT the same old RHETORIC, like, "IT'S the CONDENSOR or THE COIL, ETC, ETC" (The Dog calls that, "PARROT TALK")
Bill W.
'60-70's era VW Bugs comes to mind...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
'60-70's era VW Bugs comes to mind...
And sometimes on TRUCKS that have a chassis RAISE.
I've seen trucks with crazy, DANGEROUS steering linkage angles & CRAZY drive shaft angles!!! Saw one drop the rear drive shaft out of the transmission extension housing, at 50 MPH (OH!! POO-POO!)
Bill Scared
Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #29
duke36

I've used long, straight 2 x 4's as tire guides to keep all front / back wheels in line with each other . This allows for using the roll back and forth method to measure tow- in variation as close to spindle ht. as possible. (Photos of the Ford assembly plants show cars moving in tracks.) As others stated, shouldn't need the dampers.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #30
Pete F

I have put on many dampers on hot rods and sport cars with straight front axles and have had great success .
New light trucks with straight front axles came out of the factory with them and when they go bad they get the death shake.
A agree with finding the proper amount of resistance.
I have had great luck with SoCal's damper they aren't a lot of money and they take care of the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pete F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #31
daveymc29

Tacoma Bob, I suspect your box has not been adjusted correctly. Go on line and google instructions. Do the adjustment with wheels off the ground and hanging freely. I had the same problem develop over the first few months I had the setup on the car, must have worn in some. Adjustment made the wandering go away. The shorter pitman arm makes it a one finger steer and if the box is adjusted correctly you will get less wander with the shorter arm. I use 600 X 16's and they seem to not follow highway grooves like the 21's did.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:49 AM   #32
Bikerider58

Does any one offer a steering dampener that works well?

My experience with them is only on bikes. No difference with low pressure input, but they prevent road imperfections from steering...bump steer.

I want a dampener for the 30 coupe. No death wobble or shake. Drives straight on nice roads, but on the bumpy ones (most in CA) it wanders around the lane and is worse at speed. A proper dampener would reduce bump steering and make it easier to drive.

Any suggestions on the available products?
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:23 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider58 View Post
Does any one offer a steering dampener that works well?

My experience with them is only on bikes. No difference with low pressure input, but they prevent road imperfections from steering...bump steer.

I want a dampener for the 30 coupe. No death wobble or shake. Drives straight on nice roads, but on the bumpy ones (most in CA) it wanders around the lane and is worse at speed. A proper dampener would reduce bump steering and make it easier to drive.

Any suggestions on the available products?
Make sure the toe in is 1/16", then if you still feel the need for more, add the shorter pitman arm. It'll steer easier and have less feel for bump steer in the steering wheel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #34
Bikerider58

Checked best I could and toe in seems good. Steering is not hard on the move, like most non power. Certainly better than when the truck blew a power steering hose.

Straight on bumps are not an issue. Side hits and wear cracks seem to have greatest movement.

I am ok with it, but dear wife gets motion sick with sudden lateral movement.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #35
wingski

I have aa steering dampener on my 2000 Ford E-350 Heavy Duty with a Lazy Daze 23 and 1/2 foot motor home and that dampener makes driving the motor home like driving a mid-sized SUV. I’ve had or had to install steering dampeners between every motorcycle and side car I’ve had. Even if the bike and side car set-up didn’t wobble, why take the chance that it could.

A dampener is easy to install, and if you put one on that has the correct resistance, I don’t see how you can go wrong. They aren’t so much of a fix as they are a guarantee against wobble. If you’ve ever felt wobble in a car, truck, or bike at high speeds, you never want to again. It’s scary as hell.

I plan on putting one on my ’29 cabriolet after I have the steering working perfectly. Again, why take a chance when that possible wobble is preventable?

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #36
Bikerider58

Yesterday I installed the steering stabilizer from Snyder’s. Instructions could be better, but not terrible.

Test flight was GREAT! Added steering resistance is slight and I could only feel it when the front was off the ground. Much less work to drive since you are not constantly fighting the bump steer. The 40 - 45 typical speed is a pleasure, much more relaxed.

Took it to the freeway and before long was at 67mph on the GPS. Slowed to the 60 cruise and I must say the car is now good for a long drive.

Yes, this may be a bandaid for a worn suspension, but since I have no death wobble or pulling to one side and everything seems good...it is a much better solution for me than just replacing the entire suspension.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #37
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Yesterday I installed the steering stabilizer from Snyder’s. Instructions could be better, but not terrible.

Test flight was GREAT! Added steering resistance is slight and I could only feel it when the front was off the ground. Much less work to drive since you are not constantly fighting the bump steer. The 40 - 45 typical speed is a pleasure, much more relaxed.

Took it to the freeway and before long was at 67mph on the GPS. Slowed to the 60 cruise and I must say the car is now good for a long drive.

Yes, this may be a bandaid for a worn suspension, but since I have no death wobble or pulling to one side and everything seems good...it is a much better solution for me than just replacing the entire suspension.

Your statement is a little confusing. If everything "seems good", -then why the need for the stabilizer to begin with? If "the entire suspension" is worn or even marginal enough in condition to need replacement, then why even taking the chance endangering your life, someone else's life, -or your vehicle's 'life' driving like that?

Most hobbyists would agree that to not be a danger in modern traffic with our Model-As we typically must push our vehicles to the upper limits of their design, ...and driving a vehicle that is borderline unsafe is not prudent NOR something I would be publicly bragging about. My response back is to please reconsider repairing your vehicle to a level of at least the minimum factory tolerances of each component where you do not knowingly put others at risk.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #38
Bikerider58

Comments in the thread, just like yours, indicate if one does not like the way The car handles, it must be worn out.

More experienced folks have driven the car and said it is fine. I do not like the amount of bump steer / groove tracking. I can drive it with no issues, but had to ask if it could be better.

Yes, is the answer. For me, and perhaps others who find driving their car is a bit too much work to be truly enjoyable, the steering stabilizer works well.

As Henry built sitting in the garage or slightly modified on the road? I like to drive my toy.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #39
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Comments in the thread, just like yours, indicate if one does not like the way The car handles, it must be worn out.

More experienced folks have driven the car and said it is fine. I do not like the amount of bump steer / groove tracking. I can drive it with no issues, but had to ask if it could be better.

Yes, is the answer. For me, and perhaps others who find driving their car is a bit too much work to be truly enjoyable, the steering stabilizer works well.

As Henry built sitting in the garage or slightly modified on the road? I like to drive my toy.

With all due respect, I have been around a Model-A for awhile now, --both as a hobbyist and as a professional. The very symptoms that you speak of based on my experience as a professional Model-A mechanic indicates something is worn beyond factory specification. You need not believe what I am telling you is factual, however I will share some additional views for others to think about.

One of the key reasons why a Ford Model-A has survived the test of time is the level of engineering and quality of materials the vehicle had when it was manufactured. These vehicles were driven on roads in a time where speeds were ever increasing, and they did so safely and with durability. One also needs to realize these good roads back then are consider poor by today's standards. This is not to imply that Model-A suspensions did not wear however many of these vehicles have been driven well over 100,000 miles with little maintenance nor upkeep. Therefore to infer that (y)our toy must be modified in some manner to be driven on poor roads today is not a factual statement. Again, these vehicles were designed for driving conditions like the very roads you are complaining about. So if they could successfully do it back then, but yours can't do it now, then what is the culprit? Matter of fact, we were successfully driving these cars on poor roads some 2-3 decades ago without the need for any stabilizers.

FWIW, based on what you have suggested in your posts above, my initial thoughts are that your vehicle has a worn & sagging front spring that is allowing the spring hangers (shackles) to 'rock' creating the lateral movement you complained about earlier. In addition, I suspect the front radius rod (wishbone) ball has wear that is allowing the front end to move around and has changed the front-end caster setting. Either or both of these conditions can cause the vehicle to drive normally in a straight line however these conditions can create a dangerous condition (i.e.: like wandering or darting) in certain road conditions due to the wear. Based on your comments above, I know you were really wanting to install a damper, -and that is your prerogative however I also feel fairly certain that in your condition, the dampener has created a false sense of cure for a front end assembly that is not in as good of condition as you (-and other 'experienced folks' believe it is. Please do not be upset with me for telling you the facts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #40
Bikerider58

Not upset. I appreciate the input as you have given me specific things to check versus the everything or the often contradictory expert opinions.

According to the PO all was rebuilt approximately 40k miles ago and well maintained. Of course that may or may not be true.

I am new to the A, but not to older vehicles. Designs of the day may have limitations for current conditions or desires which results in modifications while trying to keep the core original.