Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
bunnyc

Default '32-39 V-8 transmission

I'd like to hear from those who have installed one of these in their A using the Clings adapter. https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=43
Satisfied with the kit and the transmission?
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
31Abone

Default Re: '32-39 V-8 transmission

I have a 35 or 36 v8 adapter on model A motor ..I may be selling as I;m going back stock trans..PM me if interested.it worked just fine but trans broke inside .
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Vanspeed

I have a 39 trans with 46 gears in my 29 A coupe. I used the clings adapter. Best thing I have ever done and nobody can tell it is there. I cut a model a shift handle off and welded it to a cut off 39 so it looks factory.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Ed Pitts

Use the 39 transmission if you can find one. It has better synchros. You must use the 39 top with the 39 transmission. I have a Mitchell over drive behind my 39 and it is a great combination. The adapter is good. Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
ron103140

I have a 39 transmission behind a Clings adaptor on an A stock A motor and love it. The 39 transmission is quieter by far. Shifting is so much easier with no double clutching. I put my adaptor in with the body off and it was an easy job. Ron
ron103140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Brendan

could a guy use this set up to put a Flathead V8 in a car?

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
CT AV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
could a guy use this set up to put a Flathead V8 in a car?
The short answer is "no". The kit is only when retaining Model A engine and has no value for a V8 application. Flathead engine is supported at the rear of the transmission so it will need a new rear cross member. Modified F1 or '32 K member are common choices. Also pedals are not mounted on the gearbox as per Model A so will have to be replaced with something compatible with new cross member. Steering box will have to change also.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
Vanspeed

I did the entire swap on a Saturday afternoon. Pull the rear end, and the rest is done through the floor. On my 29 I had to trim a little off the brake light switch for it to bolt up.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
bunnyc

That was going to be my next question: For those who have done both, which was easier, pulling the rear or pulling the engine? I have equipment to go either way.
Happy to hear you were able to do yours in an afternoon.
I've seen posts where some can pull the engine in 1-1/2 hrs. I don't think I could remove the radiator in that amount of time!
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

I've used Cling's adapter and hydraulic brake kit. Both fit [U]very well[U] with no surprises!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT AV8 View Post
The short answer is "no". The kit is only when retaining Model A engine and has no value for a V8 application. Flathead engine is supported at the rear of the transmission so it will need a new rear cross member. Modified F1 or '32 K member are common choices. Also pedals are not mounted on the gearbox as per Model A so will have to be replaced with something compatible with new cross member. Steering box will have to change also.
why couldn't you use the Cling kit, and make a rear mount, and run a Flathead V8?

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
PC/SR

The Clings adapter kit is very good. Regarding the transmission mount I first ran my '39 with no rear transmission mount but eventually the Float A MOtor rubber donuts in the rear squished down a bit. No problem, but things did bounce a bit. My back tells me the V8 trans is heavier than the A trans.
However the rear bearing retainer have ears for mounts. I fabricated mounts attached to the cross member for additional trans support and it is great.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyc View Post
I'd like to hear from those who have installed one of these in their A using the Clings adapter. https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=43
Satisfied with the kit and the transmission?
You will love synchro trans (preferably '39 double detent top) and this setup is easy enough (mechanically challenged) for most anyone to accomplish eventually. If you end up with '39 trans, when going thru it, install zephyr gears and have a great winding second gear with lower engine rpms...for between stop light use. You will have to use the four bolt rear trans bearing retainer to retain and mate up your torque tube drive. I've used mine for 10 yrs and it is great ! However, if doing again, I'd start with a current trend...s10 5speed, while retaining the torque tube.

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-21-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
CT AV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
why couldn't you use the Cling kit, and make a rear mount, and run a Flathead V8?
This is wandering off topic so I apologize to the O.P. and the restoration guys. The cast adaptor in the Cling’s kit is irrelevant in a V8 installation. The hand brake mount is a piece of angle with a few holes drilled in it. So that leaves the pedal mount, wishbone mount, and t.o. bearing shaft which can be purchased individually. Although I believe you could physically use these parts to do what you suggest, there’s a basic flaw going that way. The Model A flywheel housing is a stressed structural component that acts as a cross member. It is mounted very rigidly, provides stiffness, and ties the frame rails together. Engine vibration is primarily attenuated through the front sprung engine mount. The wishbone and pedals are mounted adjacent and just aft of the housing and so are also very rigidly connected. Nothing moves. With a V8, it’s just the opposite: the front mounts are spread and rigid and the rear is centered and rubber attenuated. There is more torsional force and flexing at the V8 bell housing and in my opinion is a bad place to hang the wishbone and pedals. Cling’s kit works perfectly with a stock Model A engine because it relies on the flywheel housing to provide mounting points that are relatively vibration free. In an AV8, you want the wishbone and pedals mounted to the frame, not hung off the bell housing.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #15
32forddump

I am using a model b engine with a 32 model b tranny. in a model a frame. Will clings adapter kit work for me?

Last edited by 32forddump; 09-23-2015 at 08:14 AM.
32forddump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #16
PC/SR

32dump, you should probably start a new thread, but I do not know why you would need one. The problem is the mounting. I would fabricate transmission mounts to the center cross member to support the rear of the engine/trans assembly. The B guys would know more about this.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
Dodge

There is a kit to put a B engine and trans in a Model A, I bought one but haven't used
it yet, it's different than a Model A or B to V-8 the bell housing is different on the front
of the trans. I can't remember off the top of my head who has the kit. If you can't find
it I'll look in the box.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #18
32forddump

That would be great. please look at the box, otherwise I. m going to split the wishbone and support it with the frame rails. Supporting the tranny is the easy part. Does anyone have the contact information for Cling's?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #19
Bob C

Here's Clings web site. https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/index.asp
Mac's had a kit to install B engine and trans but it's discontinued.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mo...ation-kit.html

Sacramento Vintage shows the adapter. http://www.vintageford.com/part_sear...1453&Category=

Bob

Last edited by Bob C; 09-25-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #20
32forddump

I have contacted Vintage ford and they will call me back. Hopefully they are still reproducing the kit. Thanks for the info.