Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Mark from Indy

Default Basic Generator Questions

Looking to fix/repair my Generator I took off that was having issues. Hot to the touch and ran the battery down. Replaced with a alternator ( no I don't want to start that battle ). Before I send it off to Mr. Wesenberg or make a anchor of it I thought I would look it over. Read through dozens of posts and web sites and have a few questions I didn't see or find.
I think it is a B from the pictures I have seen.
One is it is a greasy grimy mess - Rust sure hasn't been a problem! Is something like good old Brake Cleaner OK to useto clean or too harsh?
When I took the armature out I noticed it moved in and out of the plate. The retaining ring is missing so I will have to find or order one of those. As expected it beat up the shaft - once pinned again there should be no issue with this damage? See pic
I don't trust the previous owner and not sure that the cutout is oriented correctly - is this correct?
I hooked it up to a battery and it motors clockwise looking at the pulley. As its raining here I'll meter some other items as I have seen posted to see what a next step would be.

Thanks for the help

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutout.JPG (78.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Damaged-Gen-shaft.JPG (84.1 KB, 66 views)
Mark from Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Basic Generator Questions

I use gas to clean them up. The armature looks very dark, but you say it motors, so it still might be OK. The cutout is a cheap repro. I'd look for a quality original cutout, or if you want to use a diode cutout, A&L makes a quality one.
Bert's has restored original cutouts for sale. Bert's 800-321-1931

Yes, at least the main case is Model B, if not the whole thing. As you can see by the frayed wires, that's one thing I don't like about the Model B generators. One wire coming out is the field ground wire and goes under the cutout mounting screw.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 05-11-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote