Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
shughey7

Default Help! '36 pickup door glass/regulator mischief!

Hello all - finishing up a 3 year slow moving project and I'm stuck on the door glass and regulators.

Got original lower channel parts from Regulator Roy, new channels from Drake, and new glass. The new regulators I got from Drake are suspect, however. They don't seem to wind smoothly so I may go bak to the original ones - which aren't in bad condition. The side channels are nice from Drake and seem to fit quite well.

Can someone tell me - what is the exact method of getting everything into place? I know it takes 2 people (1 to hold the glass) but I'm baffled as to how to get the window glass into position for the regulator arms. Why is this so hard?

1) I put the glass into the channels, slid it up to the top without issues, and taped to hold it while I set the regulator screws into place.

2) Set the new regulator in -with arms down for lowest window position - with the 6 screws.

3) Tried to drop the glass down - but no! it's just too tight in there with the regulator in place. Getting the glass bottom channel past the regulator to align with the arms is next to impossible. Things are scraping and rubbing.

I also tried to slide the regulator in with the glass sitting in a middle position - this is impossible because as soon as the regulator crank stud enters the door pocket it's obvious - no room for it at all. Not even close.

Can someone with success please give me a detailed tutorial on how this is done? Factory tech's did it on the line in a matter of minutes - so there has to be a trick, or at least a very specific sequence to follow. I'm obviously missing something.

By the way - this is my first project car so I am no expert. Any advice will be hugely appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Scott in Virginia
shughey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
36and63

Default Re: Help! '36 pickup door glass/regulator mischief!

I found this link very helpful when I installed my door glass on my 36 pickup. It was written for a 35 but they are the same. It will take trial and error but read it and follow it to the letter. Make sure you don't tighten until you have parts working as they should. It takes patience and once you do it you will be amazed at how easy it is. I was able to do mine without any help and I would encourage you to use original parts as there is no substitute, they just fit the best I have found. Take your time since you can easily damage or scratch etc.

Pat

https://www.35pickup.com/Window.html
36and63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
shughey7

Thank you so much! Somehow I missed that post. I'll let you know what I discover.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
Brian

My technique; I put the regulator [minus the screw that runs in the slot that pushes the window forward at top of stroke], into the door. Leave it sitting in the bottom of door, with the arms facing up. Fit the glass into the door. Push the window up until the bottom channel is accessible through the opening in inner door panel. Maybe get someone to hold it in this position, although I perform the whole operation myself. Lift up the regulator and start one of the rollers into it's channel. Using a 4" wrench or similar, wind the regulator in downward direction, jiggling the arm/roller already fitted, until you can fit the second roller into its channel. Wind regulator a bit more until there is sufficient spread on both arms to prevent either one falling out. Lift entire assembly; regulator and window up until you can position the regulator in its position; the square shaft will stick out through its opening and sort of hold it all in place. Start all the retaining screws. Nip them up. Fit the central screw through its slot and secure. Now, by operating the mechanism, the window will [hopefully!] move up and down. Adjust the regulator forward/ aft until window is in correct position. Tighten the securing screws. Finally, drill through the door panel and regulator at around the top forward securing screw area, and fit a self tapping screw to maintain that correct position.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
shughey7

I got one tonight per Pat's method! Now I'll try your idea just to see the differences. It's all getting easier with repeated attempts using the correct steps.
Looking into my channels on either side of the door innards, however, I think some of the tracking is bent a bit... I'll replace.
I'll continue tomorrow...

Thank you Brian

Scott in Virginia
Old 06-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Good description by Brian ,34 is similar ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
shughey7

Well, installing with the arms down and then sliding the glass in from the top - front first - does the trick!
I have a little gap on the passenger side glass just at the rear top that opens up as the glass moves forward. Maybe a little adjustment there.
Drivers side window starts out fine going up but the bottom of the window travels more to the outside of the door channel and wants to bind to the fuzzy track material - big time. Its tight.
I tried 2 different regulators and the result was the same. Upon closer inspection I see the door latching mechanism has been cut out in the past and hammered back. The entire inside door panel is pushed in by about 1/4"-1/2". Straight edge on the other door shows it should be flat.
Now to get a slide hammer on the door panel.

Thanks for the help. Will keep everyone posted. This one is going to have twists and turns...