Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #501
Bill

Default Re: Truck based woody

I told ya the kids wood really enjoy your wagon in the parade!! Do Hank Jr. and Johnny cash do great harmony on Surfin' USA? I can hear them now..Gotta 46 Ford and We call it a Woodie, Orcas Island here we come, Not very cherry it's an oldie but a goodie.... May it never end! Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #502
GB SISSON

Us Seattle natives were never much into the surf culture. The music was popular here though. Many Orcas Islanders are SoCal transplants and I had numerous offers of surf boards to haul in the parade. If I were gonna put something on the roof it would be an ancient wooden extension ladder or something else related to the trades. Before the surfers bought all the old used up woodies, they made a good cheap work vehicle.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #503
mhsprecher

Wonderful way to debut it. You have accomplished a lot with this one.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #504
GB SISSON

thanks. I got a close up of Woodie before I take him and his microphone off the hood for everyday driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parade season 2018 068.jpg (46.2 KB, 41 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #505
DocJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
What do you guys think? I like it, but there's still a part of me that says 'body color', a green.. This looks nice to me so it will most likely stay. I found some white spray primer so I painted the wheels with that first so the tacoma cream spray would go further.
I think that it is fabulous! As you said in my thread, the way you've done the rear is very similar to my UK built Pilot Woodie.
DocJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #506
GB SISSON

Thank you Doctor!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #507
GB SISSON

Hello again! I miss the excitement of building the woodie. All the stuff to figure out and to source, just the mental exercise in general. I have only taken her to the mainland once but have now managed to rack up in excess of 1000 miles on the island. On the interstate I managed a top speed of 66 mph as verified by my speedometer app on my phone. It was a hot day and I was pushing it for standard pickup gearing, and it belched out a bunch of coolant, but I added some and kept it just below 60 for the next half hour and it was fine. I added the correct shroud and fine since. The good driving days for a woodie are coming to an end later this fall, but I'll be heading into town after a couple of shop hours building regular woodwork for customers. There are only 3 coats of spar varnish on the wood and I'm hoping to get a fourth with our dry Fall weather we are experiencing. There are some winter projects here for sure, such as finding matching front seats and getting them in for a recover. Currently it's a landcruiser seat for me and some unknown vintage bucket seat for Ma. Fortunately, the gorrilla tape upholstery has help up well for the summer. Here's a shot in Anacortes Wa. from that mainland trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie at anacortes.jpg (67.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #508
VeryTangled

Quote:
Here's a shot in Anacortes Wa. from that mainland trip.
Drive on GB, drive on! You inspire us with your skills.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #509
47panel

Beautiful job !!!
Your parts supply makes me envious as I have a 47 panel (late model running gear 300/6, C6,9 inch, power discs on orig. axle)
My truck is pretty complete just needs paint -
Love your dedication to the wedge cabs !
GO (in Phx,AZ - a little dryer,hotter and one hell of a lot less trees!)
47panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #510
Tinker

Very cool stuff. SOOO NICE!

One of my favorite pictures from this thread. Quite the craftsmanship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 7.33.54 PM.jpg (20.7 KB, 66 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #511
GB SISSON

Had a nice dry day yesterday, so I busted it out of the garage for a spin. It's time for a heater though. I have a nice three door example to install for a winter project. Like I mentioned previously, this was a blast building this thing!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #512
hook00pad

I love the Woody. This has been a great thread.

Keep on Truckin'

Al Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #513
38bill

Quote:
Us Seattle natives were never much into the surf culture. The music was popular here though. Many Orcas Islanders are SoCal transplants and I had numerous offers of surf boards to haul in the parade. If I were gonna put something on the roof it would be an ancient wooden extension ladder or something else related to the trades. Before the surfers bought all the old used up woodies, they made a good cheap work vehicle.
Around here it would be a cedar strip wooden canoe on top of the woody. Say..... there's another project for you.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #514
GB SISSON

This showed up beside the road about a mile from here last summer. Nobody has touched it since it appeared. Rain and leaves falling into the open hatch way. I have resisted the urge to call the property owners, at least until last week. I got their son's phone number, but I'm afraid to call because he might say it's available. I have brought back a 32 footer that I paid a hundred bucks for and later a 26 footer that I got for free. At 23 years old we lived on the 26 footer (built 1930) and that's how we discovered the islands up here. Oh, and "somebody stop me!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sailboat.JPG (178.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #515
VeryTangled

Sweet Fancy Moses, son, you are disturbed. I vote for driving around that place for a while, and burning the phone number. But what fun is that! Full speed ahead! Experiences vs. mementos. A bigger fool paid to have it hauled there.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #516
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Sweet Fancy Moses, son, you are disturbed. I vote for driving around that place for a while, and burning the phone number. But what fun is that! Full speed ahead! Experiences vs. mementos. A bigger fool paid to have it hauled there.
Thanks Jeff, I needed that. Actually a boat may eventually be in the works. My son, my employee and I are talking about going 3rds on a 14' aluminum skiff with about a 20 hp and trailer. And not a fixer-upper either!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #517
51504bat

Quote:
Thanks Jeff, I needed that. Actually a boat may eventually be in the works. My son, my employee and I are talking about going 3rds on a 14' aluminum skiff with about a 20 hp and trailer. And not a fixer-upper either!
This line from Jaws comes to mind: "I think we need a bigger boat"
Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #518
flatford8

You?????.....in an ALUMINUM boat!?!?!?.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #519
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
This line from Jaws comes to mind: "I think we need a bigger boat"
For what its worth I don't like a 14' boat. On our lakes a 14' tends to plow right into the next wave. 16' seems to reach the next wave much better and will usually run just as fast as the 14' using the same size motor and sim hull design. Anyway you may need the extra room if all three of you want to go out at the same time.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #520
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
For what its worth I don't like a 14' boat. On our lakes a 14' tends to plow right into the next wave. 16' seems to reach the next wave much better and will usually run just as fast as the 14' using the same size motor and sim hull design. Anyway you may need the extra room if all three of you want to go out at the same time.
Thanks Bill. I have never owned or ridden much in any aluminum boat. That makes sense to me though. I really do enjoy being a ford v8 enthusiast, so a maintenance free generic boat allows me more time to fiddle with (finish) my trucks, and still get some fresh seafood after work.