Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2018, 04:23 AM   #1
B-nut

Default 35 ford radiator hoses too stiff.

When replacing the radiator hoses last year the new red stripe hoses seemed more heavy duty and less flexible than last time I had installed a set. Now that my radiator started leaking at all four corners I wonder if these stiffer hoses are being tough on the radiator. Wouldn't more engine vibration be going to the radiator through them? Yes it is an 83 year old radiator but was fine until the new hoses went on. Now that it is back from the shop I am now considering finding some softer hose. Local parts store hose looks just as rugged. Are red stripe hoses junk? What are you guys using? Also how snug should the radiator mounting bolts and springs be?
B-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 35 ford radiator hoses too stiff.

red strip hoses last forever, but are a struggle to get on. I use a little silicon grease to help them slide over the outlets/inlets. rad solder does also work harden and will crack if you move it too much
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
petehoovie

After fighting the installation of those "red stripe" hoses made by 'Vintique', I elected to buy hose in bulk from NAPA for my '34 and I'm very pleased I did. Of course I had to cut the hose to the length required for the application which was no big deal. The NAPA hose material is very pliable and easy to install. The lack of a "red stripe" is of no importance to me.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Highboy34

.......an "It worked for me' suggestion. Years ago I helped restore a 39 LZ coupe. The owner had a set of NOS upper radiator hoses he wanted to use. They were hard as a rock, felt like they could be brittle, but he insisted. So I suspended them in a large pail of water on the stove. I heated the water very slowly to about 160 degrees and lifted them out. They were soft and pliable, not flexible, but they responded to hand pressure fine. Original thermostats were installed into them and they're still on the car without any problems to this day, some twenty years later.
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
34billct

Speedway has some nice silicone hose that i have used,easy to work and comes in 6" and 12" length
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Gary Tosel

A friend of mine ordered the red stripe hoses from Bob Drake and they are flexible and do not leak. He did have a set from Vitique, but they did not work very well at all.

I also ordered a set from Bob Drake for my 36 Ford with a 24 stud 38 engine that also seem to be soft and flexible. I have not installed them yet, but believe my friends success should also be mine.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
Step-down

Just today same issue on my AV8 . Had the hardest time trying to get hose clamp snug so pipe wouldn't leak ....
Old 06-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step-down View Post
Just today same issue on my AV8 . Had the hardest time trying to get hose clamp snug so pipe wouldn't leak ....
All hose clamps should be installed with the screw facing the most accessible position. This means not only turning the clamp, but flipping top for bottom, depending on location.

Then also, they will all leak until you bring the engine to operating temperature, and only then snug up the clamps. Don't forget to shut off the engine before snugging the clamps!
Old 06-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
All hose clamps should be installed with the screw facing the most accessible position. This means not only turning the clamp, but flipping top for bottom, depending on location.

Then also, they will all leak until you bring the engine to operating temperature, and only then snug up the clamps. Don't forget to shut off the engine before snugging the clamps!
I tend to apply Indian Head Shellac to all hose fittings. makes a very good seal and when it's time to remove the hoses, there is no issue...