Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2021, 05:16 AM   #1
LLB

Default Brake question

I have recently became the owner of a 1930 Tudor. I have a question about adjusting the brakes. I tried to use the system lined out in Les Andrew's book to adjust the brakes and am wondering if I did it correctly. After adjustment I took it for a 7-8 mile drive and the brake drums were pretty hot, I could touch them but wouldn't have been able to keep my hand on them without getting a burn. Not having any experience I would like some input from some of you folks. Thank you.
LLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Brake question

Back each adjuster off one click, and make sure the adjusting shafts are seated. Then go test drive again.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:30 AM   #3
LLB

Thanks! I'll give that try.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
nkaminar

You can measure the drum temperatures with an IR thermometer gun. I measure between 120 F and 140 F depending on if I used the brakes a lot. You can use the temperatures to adjust for equal braking on all 4 wheels. I run my car with the front brakes a little hotter because that is where most of the braking is on modern cars. Ford wanted the rear wheels to do more of the braking which I think is a holdover from the Model T.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

Just out of curiousity, did you take the drums off and inspect the state of the brakes?

If the brakes are off a bit in center or round then no amount of adjusting is going to get them braking properly. Any new to me cars get the brakes inspected before I consider them safe. My 30 fordor had brake parts in backwards on the rear brakes and they had to try hard to make that happen. I have taken Mustang brakes apart that were missing pieces.

Saddly, way more often then not the brakes need extensive rebuilds to work properly.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
Model A Ron

Backing off one click is ok if the brakes are right in the first place. Paul Shinn has a nice video on youtube that you need to watch.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Backing off one click is ok if the brakes are right in the first place. Paul Shinn has a nice video on youtube that you need to watch.

Ron

Geez Ron, let's not confuse him any further than what he is. Evidently he has done a good job up to the point where his brakes work well enough 'as-is' that they are creating quite a bit of friction during a short test drive! How about us let him make small adjustments to what he has already done and let him report back as to his results.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:31 AM   #8
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Geez Ron, let's not confuse him any further than what he is. Evidently he has done a good job up to the point where his brakes work well enough 'as-is' that they are creating quite a bit of friction during a short test drive! How about us let him make small adjustments to what he has already done and let him report back as to his results.
Brent makes good sense. One step at a time. Don’t fix something that’s not broken.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
LLB

Finally had a chance to try the suggestion to back off 1 click. Brakes are still getting pretty hot. I may need to start over from the beginning. Any suggestions on how to be sure I'm at 15° on the lever?

Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #10
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB View Post
Finally had a chance to try the suggestion to back off 1 click. Brakes are still getting pretty hot. I may need to start over from the beginning. Any suggestions on how to be sure I'm at 15° on the lever?

Thanks for all the input.
Back off an additional click. Than test drive. If brakes are stopping well, but the drums are still hot. Back off one more click.

Our 29 under normal driving conditions, the drums are just warm not hot. This is a car that had a complete brake system overhaul less than 1,000 miles ago. Steel drums still on car. I have never had them HOT to the touch. I don’t drive over 45 MPH. Wheels will lock up if I really try hard.

Don’t panic. It’s a simple system. Your will get it right.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:41 PM   #11
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post

Ron
Paul Shinns video tells you to adjust the brake rods. Ford's Service bulletins expressly say NOT to adjust the brake rods during a service adjustment. I think I'm gonna follow Ford on this one.....

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:35 PM   #12
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Paul Shinns video tells you to adjust the brake rods. Ford's Service bulletins expressly say NOT to adjust the brake rods during a service adjustment. I think I'm gonna follow Ford on this one.....
I can see your point but think of it this way......the service bulletin was from 90 years back well before the time your car could have been taken apart and put together wrong multiple times over the years. If your car is right then a brake adjustment should be just one click per wheel when it's needed. When it's wrong its time to reset things. This is just my opinion so please do what is right for you after doing your homework. If your not comfortable adjusting the rods I am sure someone in your local club has experience. Regardless please get them fixed right. My brakes are adjusted properly and my 29 Phaeton stops very well.....to be honest it stopes much better than I would expect a 92 year old car to stop and your car will do the same if adjusted.

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 03-31-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:18 PM   #13
Model A Ron

Brent
Its not like I told him about adjusting the flux capacitor.....you need perfect brakes for that to work
Old 03-31-2021, 11:38 PM   #14
J Franklin

Ron has it right. Ford didn't want people making the adjustments at the rods, but you need to have the rods adjusted to factory specs before adjusting at the brake.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:58 PM   #15
whirnot

The only way to adjust the rods to factory specs is to bring the complete system back to factory specs. This is precisely why they stated not to adjust then during brake service. It masks other problems. Shortening the front brake rods will bring the brake levers past vertical at maximum braking, making them less efficient. It is simple geometry, that should not be changed for a correct brake system.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's

Last edited by whirnot; 04-02-2021 at 12:07 AM.
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #16
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...Brent has the right idea...take one more click off all four and test again. You might find that you end up doing this a third time, but at some point, you will hit the sweet point of stopping well...and running at a temperature that you can keep your finger on the wheel when you get home...adjusting brakes on and 'A' is a bit like tuning a Violin!
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #17
Ernie Vitucci

Just as an after thought...I have removed brake rods from 'A's and found all four of them different lengths...I'll bet others on this site have had the same experience...makes a person mutter four letter words that are not Love or Luck! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:16 AM   #18
LLB

Thanks for the info. I'll hope to have a chance to try again before too long. Warmer weather gets me itching to get it out and drive!

Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #19
LLB

A final follow up report: I backed off the adjusters 1 more click and now the brakes are working very nice. They stop well but don't get too hot while driving around. Thank you for all the suggestions!
Old 05-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #20
Neshkoro

Is that clockwise to tighten and counterclockwise to back off the shoes?
I'm assuming laying under the car facing the inside if the backing plate.
Neshkoro is offline   Reply With Quote