Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #21
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Centering Brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Rich,
I agree with H.L. that it is probably a centering issue. Get a centering gauge and get the issue corrected whatever it may be with the floater setup. if the tracks are worn they will have to be welded and repaired, or replaced if you choose.

Personally I'm not a fan of the brake floaters as I feel that if the original system is "restored" and "adjusted" properly that they work excellent. I believe that one of the "Teds" instructions calls for removing the long upper spring. In my opinion this can cause as many problems as it sounds they may solve with his setup. Not knocking the floater setup, but I think the system should float at the bottom and not have the shoes flopping on the top end.
Again, the original design works great. Restoring brakes are one of my specialties.

Larry Shepard

If the drums, spindles, etc. are "true", then even if the shoes were not centered the OP would not be reporting that "the wheel turns freely for 180 degrees then rubs for the other 180." The "high" shoe would be rubbing all the way around the drum in that case.

I agree that properly rebuilt, maintained and adjusted stock brakes work good. However, Flathead Ted's parts on the same properly rebuilt, maintained and adjusted brakes are noticeably better than stock. Give them a try. I'm confident that with your experience and expertise with Model A brakes that a system that you would do with Ted's kit would be amazing.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #22
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Centering Brakes?

I agree with Dick Steinkamp's remarks. With Flat head Ted's set up the shoes self center. The tracks are actually not part of the system any more. Ted's setup along with cast iron drums will make for a great brake system. I would do the fronts first as that will make the most difference.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)