Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
mndodge

Default What made you bring "HER" home?

I have not dug real deep and maybe there is a thread on this already?

I have noticed some of the pictures you guys have attached under your username and they are great looking vehicles!
So my question is.....what made that or the one you have now your model A of choice that makes you proud to own?
I used the term "HER" a little loosely, cause not sure if a pickup falls into the his or her category......
Also......was it a dream and a "bucket of bolts" that brought your "A" where it is today, or did you see a correctly finished car that that made you stop in your tracks?
mndodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Franchise_24

Default Re: What made you bring "HER" home?

The Coupe was my grandpa's. He sold it when I was young, and I was fortunate enough to keep track of it and buy it back from the guy he sold it to. Now that we have a family the Coupe doesn't have enough room so we bought the leatherback, but the Coupe will never leave the family again.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
John Stone

One was youth (the pickup), one was necessity (tudor, bigger family), one was desire to build a show car (business coupe) and one was I think, alcohol (400A). The 31 town sedan is not in my avatar but just couldn't pass up a 49,000 car.

I forgot the roadster. it was because I always wanted one.

Last edited by John Stone; 08-13-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot something
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
whirnot

I have to admit the Auctioneer said "SOLD! Buyer # 321" And I knew nothing about her. Got lucky.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Patrick L.

I was trying to buy a Cord when this little roadster came up for sale. My father insisted we buy this rather than the Cord.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
P.S.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I "saved" the Tudor because someone was on their way up from LA to buy it with the intention of using the body for a hot rod project. I just couldn't let that happen to such an original car. Even though it was pretty worn out and I had never owned a Model A before, it just had to be saved. Now it's all freshened up, mechanically sound, and seems happy to be the family car with frequent use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg june 2013.JPG (42.3 KB, 40 views)
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
mndodge

I like the stories, to me they are all interesting!
I bought my 29 Tudor sedan two years ago and the body was in good shape and the interior not, the car was original and complete and sat in storage for 40 years. I bought it at a hot rod show swap meet and it was affordable and hated to think of it being tore apart after making it all these years being together......not saying I didn't have a thought or two of my own, but the more I'm on here and the more I read about what's out there and the waves and smiles from others when we drive it.....makes me glad it's mine!!!
mndodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
gweilbaker

Uh-umm, the right offer? No previous mess-toration to correct was a huge factor.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Bill in Al

Fell in love with "Ole Jo" and my wife didn't object!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Randy in Illinois

I confess! Always loved old cars, I was looking for a model T. When a friend let me drive his model a coupe and said you'll buy a modern car after I do. The choice was easy! I found a late '31 std coupe. and had it 38 years.

Last edited by Randy in Illinois; 08-13-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
silversink

the wife said it was cute with a rumble seat--so I jumped at a the first project she seemed interested in, now she says my car every time she tells someone about it. She's hooked.
silversink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Scott NY

Was looking for a roadster but found out from the family that someone was going to buy it and rod it. I am the 2nd owner of it and it still has its original mohair, 1930 Town Sedan. Could not let such an original solid car be chopped.
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
BashawT

My Grandpa had the Tudor since he was a young adult and I grew up seeing it in the garage every time I came over. There was always boxes piled up over it and I was always curious about it. Throughout my childhood it never left the garage until a few years ago Grandpa called me and told me to stop over. We got it started and took turns driving it up and down the country roads near their house. I had never felt that kind of feeling. It was so exciting to drive down the road in a vehicle with so much history. Everyone waiving and looking and a (few honking in rage <--- They don't understand ). A few months later it was mine and I began restoring it. I can't wait until the day I can call Grandpa up and tell him to stop over to take a ride in his car. I've been restoring it for about three years and I hope to have it done within the next year or two!
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
TDO

I have always loved old cars, but never could afford to put a lot of money in one. Raising a family came first. But now that's done. Bought the coupe, let her set till I retired. Put a little in at a time. now she's done, Just going to enjoy her. Never give up on something you love.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
bogiediver

Thumbs up Re: What made you bring "HER" home?

Father-in-law traded an antique shotgun for her in the early 60's.

In the 70's:
- was sister-in-law's college car.
- Wife learned to drive in her.

In the 80's, daughter learned to drive in her, too.

In '07 brother-in-law took her apart and lost interest in the put-it-back-together portion.

In '11 - brother-in-law trying to sell 'it'

With that much history in the family, had to take the 'basket case' (literally) and save her.

Had it refurbished (as opposed to restored) to be a nice driver; in time to surprise mother-in-law Christmas Day '11.

Finally got her 'eye liner' done (pin stripe) in June this year...

July - she won 1st place in her 1st car show - best in class - '59 and older. And she was the oldest...
25+ in the class, up against '55 & '57 chevys; mid-30's hot rods and a couple of 40's buicks and lincolns.

August, wife drove her in a home town parade for the wife's 40th high school reunion - many people came up and said 'You know your Dad had a car looked like that...' - wife replied - 'Yep, and this is her'

Coolest piece of iron I have ever been associated with.

Only wish Dad's '29 Phaeton and '31 fire truck had still been in the family when I stumbled in during the 90's.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
28RPU

I have had an affinity for roadster pickups since I was a kid. They are kind of rare in these parts and when I saw this one for sale, I fell in love. It was more than I wanted to pay and I really should have let it go, but it kept calling me and I knew I would regret it if I let it pass. I was also afraid someone else would buy it and cut it up to make a junky rat rod out of it.
Once had a 1930 tudor for a while back in the 70s but couldn't get to it because of other projects so I let her go to someone who would finish it. I have been wanting a Model A ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My new 1928 RPU 3.jpg (139.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Rock Hornbuckle

As fruustrating as my A's are at times, if they were a HER, I would've divorced them long ago. lol
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Rock Hornbuckle; 08-13-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
SDJason

Seemed like fate - I had been thinking about getting a Fordor or Town Sedan at some point in my life, and was really just starting to read up on and learn about Model As when I had made a mental wishlist on what I wanted:
- A four-door
- local (this came from seeing lots of cars advertised 100s to 1000s of miles away)
- in good shape (on that point, I had just started researching who in my area would be qualified to do an inspection and was about to reach out to Bill Hansen, THE go-to guy for Model As in San Diego)
- reasonably priced

Not more than a few days after making that mental checklist, I decided to look up the local Model A clubs, and stumbled across their latest newsletter - published that day. In the back was a small classified ad for a Town Sedan, maybe 25 miles from me, freshly restored by Bill Hansen, and at a very reasonable price (compared to other ads I had seen).

Figuring I could take a hint (I made a mental wishlist...a few days later I stumble across a just-published ad which pretty much reads just like that same wishlist), I decided to go see the thing and of course ended up buying it. In another month or two, it will have been two years of fun...
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
mhsprecher

My first car was a 30 coupe that I never got on the road and sold when I went to college. I never got over wanting another, so when I finally had a garage and a little extra cash, I went looking. My wife and I looked at two coupes, but when we saw the town sedan, she said, "I love this car." I guess you can figure out what I did next.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
mass A man

I latched onto my '31 pickup to keep it out of a hotrodder's hands, at least while I'm around.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote