Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
Blindhuckster

Default Clock Repair Recommendations Please

I have a 1937 Ford Deluxe with an electric clock that I'd like to get working. I have replaced the wiring harness for the clock and checked the fuse as well as voltage to the clock and all are good. The glass and face are in great shape. Would like to send it out for a mechanical restoration and have found a couple of companies online. Smith Classic Car Clocks and The Clock Works. Any recommendations on these companies or is there another option. Thanks Nate
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Clock Repair Recommendations Please

Read this;https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...sic+car+clocks
Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #3
flatford8

Classic Auto Electric
E-mail: [email protected]
He fixed the clock for my ‘50. I thought he was reasonably priced and pleasant to deal with. That was 3-4 yrs ago and the clock still works great !...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Blindhuckster

Thanks Brian I did run a across the negative review on Smith clock repairs after my original post. Good to know to stay away from him.

Mark, Thanks for the referral to classic auto electric. I'll reach out to them and get an idea on their pricing. I did fill out a quote request for The Clock Works Company and I got an quick email response from him this morning with a price of $99.00 for the mechanical repairs plus $15.00 return shipping. One year warranty. Thanks Nate Anello
Old 04-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
51woodie

Bob's Speedometer in Howell Michigan did the speedo and clock for my '46 Super Deluxe. Good people to deal with, and reasonable prices.

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Joe Immler

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I agree with woodie. I have used Bob's for my speedometer and clock in my '41. Very good and on time work!
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Blindhuckster

Thanks guys for the referrals. I got a speedy reply from [email protected]. He quoted me $125.00 and said the Borg electric clocks were good units and thought he could get it working. I'll reach out to Bobs Speedo and make a decision. Appreciate the good leads. Thanks Nate Anello
Old 04-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindhuckster View Post
Thanks Brian I did run a across the negative review on Smith clock repairs after my original post. Good to know to stay away from him.

Mark, Thanks for the referral to classic auto electric. I'll reach out to them and get an idea on their pricing. I did fill out a quote request for The Clock Works Company and I got an quick email response from him this morning with a price of $99.00 for the mechanical repairs plus $15.00 return shipping. One year warranty. Thanks Nate Anello
Clock Works in Wisconsin? If so, good place...
Old 04-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
Automotive Stud

I've used The Clock Works for the electric clock in my 47 and the wind up in my 40. Both were $100 and returned quickly. The '47 is still keeping good time several years later. The '40 I had the minute hand fall off, probably from slamming the glove box. I had to pay shipping but he fixed it again.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #10
1948F-1Pickup

David Lindquist. He’s the clock doctor. He’s done work for me before. 562-698-4445.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
supereal

We use Bob's Speedometer. They will give you an estimate of cost, 1-800-592-9673.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
Blindhuckster

Thanks for all the feedback gentleman. I have decided on The Clock Works in Wisconsin. Shipping it out in the morning. I'll let you all know on it's return. He has a 48Hr turnaround for an additional $20.00. 2 to 3 weeks out is his normal. Thanks Nate Anello
Old 04-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
Newc

Just a note; Clock repair person and clock 'MAKERS' are different hombres. A 'maker' can fabricate the missing/damaged part. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
Daves55Sedan

I had used Instrument Services Inc for the clock in my '55 Fairlane. I had them do a quartz conversion. No one can do a straight 6-volt quartz conversion, so they put in a transformer hanging off the outside of the clock in back. It shot craps just after warranty expired. They wanted to charge me another $110 to repair it. I ain't playing that game. I sent it to Williamsons who also does auto instrument repair and after that I sent them my clock and gauges with sending units for recalibration, I had them do an original restoration to the clock. No complaints. I suggest NOT doing a 6-volt quartz conversion. All these companies use sub-assemblies made in china for modern upgrades to clocks, radio's etc. And their stuff is junk.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
paul2748

I had Williamson's do a quartz conversion on my 54 (converted to 12V) and my 56 Bird. The 54 one was done some 12 years ago - it runs great, not a bit of trouble. The Bird was done about 3 years later, same deal.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindhuckster View Post
Thanks for all the feedback gentleman. I have decided on The Clock Works in Wisconsin. Shipping it out in the morning. I'll let you all know on it's return. He has a 48Hr turnaround for an additional $20.00. 2 to 3 weeks out is his normal. Thanks Nate Anello
Unless you are really in a jam, save your $20. His turnaround time for both of mine was only about a week, plus shipping time. I think he under promises and over delivers.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #17
woodiewagon46

Before you send the clock out for repair you might want to try something. I have several key wind, antique clocks both wall and mantle. Many times a clock will come back to life with a good oiling. Do not use anything but clock oil, it is a special oil for clocks and most have a needle applicator. DO NOT use WD-40 or any other type oil. I have found that after a couple of applications of the clock oil and it's not a mechanical issue, some come back to life.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #18
Blindhuckster

Wanted to follow up on my clock repair. I sent it to Jerry at The Clock Works in Wisconsin. Turn around was fast. It is back and installed and is keeping perfect time. Thanks for all the recommendations. Nate
Old 10-23-2023, 03:16 PM   #19
GaryTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
Before you send the clock out for repair you might want to try something. I have several key wind, antique clocks both wall and mantle. Many times a clock will come back to life with a good oiling. Do not use anything but clock oil, it is a special oil for clocks and most have a needle applicator. DO NOT use WD-40 or any other type oil. I have found that after a couple of applications of the clock oil and it's not a mechanical issue, some come back to life.

Thank You for your post. I ordered Horace Whitlock's Clock Oil from Amazon for $18 came with the needle applicators. I Removed the clock and oiled the gears. It's Back to ticking and keeping accurate time...
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #20
B-O-B

I had the 57-bird clock worked on by the clock works twice & it still don't work. Looked like a gorilla worked on it. I can't recommend that outfit. They did refund some monies & said they will call it quits but I'm still out money & a non-op clock.
one year only clock.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote