Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
ryanheacox

Default Brattons Radiators

Does anyone have experience with Brattons radiators? If so how do they compare to Brassworks/Bergs? I also see that Snyders lists the same radiators (normal and heavy duty) with the exact same prices, same thing?

Thinking about replacing the old radiator in my Fordor for peace of mind protecting the new engine.

The heavy duty 8 fin/inch rad is $585. Is it worth the extra 100 to go to brassworks or extra 200 to go to bergs?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: Brattons Radiators

I bought a Brassworks radiator from Bratton's. Was listed as their "Show" radiator. Did so because Bratton's was fantastic to work with on everything else I bought from them. I believe they just have Brassworks drop-ship any radiators ordered thru Bratton's. Just call Bratton's and ask who supplies all the different radiators; they'll be happy to tell you I'm sure.

I know lots of folks here swear by Berg's, but I'm happy with my Brassworks unit.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
ryanheacox

I will have to give Brattons a call but has anyone had personal experience with using these radiators?
Old 07-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
Fhane

I have purchased at least 18 in the past years from Bratton’s’s to install in customers cars. No problems at all. One customer commented he could smell the fresh paint on one. Like anything else that Brattons sells, if you get a problem with a product they will address it. I have also purchased and installed Brassworks and Bergs. I prefer the Brattons radiator.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

In the past , Brassworks have been reported to have minor fitment issues. Is this resolved, have you experienced this?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

I bought one from them for my '31 CCPU. No problems and it's been about a year and a half now.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
I bought one from them for my '31 CCPU. No problems and it's been about a year and a half now.
Likewise, Brassworks. and to add that they come well packed for shipment if you order direct.
One issue is that sometimes the rad caps are hard to get on the neck. The one with curved tabs worked with some vaseline on the gasket. The straight tabs were too hard to get on with a std gasket. Probably not a problem with ornament caps.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
ryanheacox

To those that used the Brattons rad, did you get the standard or heavy duty one? I’d probably shell out the extra $55 for the heavy duty version but I’m curious if the standard one is sufficient for most conditions.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
In the past , Brassworks have been reported to have minor fitment issues. Is this resolved, have you experienced this?
Pretty sure I heard Brassworks fixed their issue with the outlet connection. Unless there were other problems I’m unaware of?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Report I saw mentioned mounting holes/tabs did not line up, and some drilling was required. Reports surfaced when I was researching when replacing my old radiator. Reports were old, years old. Never heard/saw if the issues were fixed. But is why I went with Bergs, have yet to hear of any complaints/issues on Bergs - drop in replacement.

As far as function/cooling - I saw/heard no issues with the Brassworks. Brassworks uses Ford prints to make theirs so can be used on fine point cars.

My Bergs is working beautifully, have to run a 160 F thermostat when temps below 80 F, otherwise coolant does not get up to operational temp.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
ryanheacox

Did about 60 miles today with temps between 80-90 and plenty of running at 45-55. No sign of overheating, probably hit 180-185 max. Based on this I'll probably save up and wait for a Bergs at some point in the future but a radiator replacement does not seem to be in my immediate future.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

As an FYI, my motor was rebuilt last winter, so absolutely clean/free of internal rust/scale. So I have a fresh cooling system. Mentioning to insure that besides the radiator there is another half of the cooling system to consider. Also if ordering a Bergs, consider checking with them way before you need it, sometimes they are busy and there is a lead time if there are not any on the shelf at Bergs, or at one of their vendors.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #13
ahirt

I bought a Bratton's heavy duty radiator about 18 months ago. Solved my running hot problem. Fit like a glove. I would buy another one from them if I needed it.
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
ryanheacox

Hmm, well I've got plenty of time to think about this and change my mind again and again. But, if the Brattons rad fits and cools well down in Florida it would be hard to justify spending $200 for something that does the same job.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

I've had no problems with the Brattons radiator on my 31 tudor .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote