Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
wildwilly

Cool Re: What sets me off .....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I like restored cars for their historical value but hot rods almost always bring a better return on the money invested. Most younger guys don't want to put around in a four banger.
Well I guess Im a younger guy, belive to be the youngest in our club. Im 43 and have a mostly original early 30 45-B. I am trying to get mine back to the way Henrey built it. I have respect for this old girl, that has made it all this time for who she is. who needs the speed an fancy stuff when just putting around turns heads. I have a Mustang if I want to go fast, The A is for showing off with class.
wildwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
Vanspeed

Default Re: What sets me off .....!

I know the new bodies are nice, I have seen them all up close and they are beautiful. But... they have no history behind them. They are brand new and to someone like me, original DOES matter. In my A coupe, I try to think about the past owners and what they did with the car, and so forth. What can you think about when driving that new bodied car besides I am driving a new 2011 built 1932 Ford. Boo! Sorry about that but I just believe in original cars other than reproduction.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #23
Tinker

For sake of argument. If you've got a new boxed frame, mII, rack and pinion, 9" ford rear, an ls motor, disc brakes, leather interior, digital gauges, and electronics complete with cd, dvd, satellite radio, and gps... what soul is left???
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #24
Roadster62

EXACTLY! If someone can't grasp the "Soul" factor then it just can't be explained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
For sake of argument. If you've got a new boxed frame, mII, rack and pinion, 9" ford rear, an ls motor, disc brakes, leather interior, digital gauges, and electronics complete with cd, dvd, satellite radio, and gps... what soul is left???
Old 12-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #25
dave in australia

Down here (in Australia) recently, a 34 coupe utility was de-redded and restored back to its original 1934 condition. Just proves that they can be switched back.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #26
denis4x4

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In another post I outlined my latest project; a 1.8 SOHC powered Model A with a fiberglass body. Here's a a picture. I admit to get the biggest stick I can to stir the pot here once in awhile.

I sold the original running gear on this particular car for five cents on the dollar to several restorers. Perhaps those of you who whine about "rodding" an original A would rather see me send these parts to be melted down rather than pass them on.

Just sold my last woody, a 1946 Pontiac Deluxe. Now that's rare compared to an A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03450.JPG (105.8 KB, 69 views)
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
I admit to get the biggest stick I can to stir the pot here once in awhile.
It's easy to do since this site by design is for the restoration of Model A's. Is what you describe a restoration? You see that is where it gets interesting, when is a Model A no longer a Model A?

I can't find it now but I have pictures of a pile of rusted metal on the back of a trailer and the results, a fantasticly restored car after a year. I'll keep looking get back with the pics,
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #28
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
In another post I outlined my latest project; a 1.8 SOHC powered Model A with a fiberglass body. Here's a a picture. I admit to get the biggest stick I can to stir the pot here once in awhile.

I sold the original running gear on this particular car for five cents on the dollar to several restorers. Perhaps those of you who whine about "rodding" an original A would rather see me send these parts to be melted down rather than pass them on.

Just sold my last woody, a 1946 Pontiac Deluxe. Now that's rare compared to an A.

Don't get me wrong, I doesn't bother me a bit, what you or anybody else does with their model A. I think that it is good that you offered the cast off model A parts to someone that needed them. You did it your way and besides rubbing it in the face of those that it really bothers ,that makes you happy. Truth be known you are actually helping the hobby in two ways. Besides selling the cast off parts you also reduce the numbers. With two model A's on every street corner, the value of the remaining model A's are reduced. Another fact is when the motor, running gear and body is changed it is no longer, really a model A. Modifications like high compression heads, twelve volt batteries, period correct accessories and other bolt ons can be removed and replaced with original parts. I do like hot rods but I will hold back from making any unreversable changes to my model A. Everybody should still have the right to do whatever they want with their model A.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-28-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
OoltewahSpeedShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Who said anything about that crap...? Nothing mentioned belongs on a Hot Rod. The original rant was about how he couldn't believe someone would take a bunch of valuable parts and build anything other than a restored car out of them. Thats just crazy talk. The car he was referring to is worth twice as much in its current form, and its still flathead powered. Could be returned to stock by bolting all putt putt parts back on. They are even included in the sale price.

Now what?
OoltewahSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
Tinker

I think we agree more, then we disagree. Also to each their own, I have an appreciation that spans many styles of building cars.

Seems like there are more 32's how I mentioned, then near stock.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #31
peters180a/170b

First i don't see anywhere that the original parts are included [unless he used them ].Second,, twice the price in it current form [rod/ original] There are 3, 1932 roadsters forsale this month and 1 Cabriolet...$75,000 ,$69,000 and the Cab. unrestored but complete $50,000. This 32 rod roadster has how much into it to get where it is today??? $125,000 . he lost money..[that's if he sells it for that price]..He had to pay more then $50,000 to start with. And as someone said MOST "A"s are sold under $20,000. but RODS go for more... then $20,000... Then why mess with a original car and just buy a ROD .. there seems to be MORE rods forsale..and allot less money then what the owner has into them...

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 12-28-2011 at 02:50 PM.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If a group of metal workers got together and wanted to make a 110 foot copper statue of a woman in a mini skirt with her hand on her hip and an I pad in her other hand, it might look cool and I would surely want to know what went into making it and how things were done, but I would not like it if they cut up the statue of liberty to make it no matter how they over came all the obstacles to make it.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
If a group of metal workers got together and wanted to make a 110 foot copper statue of a woman in a mini skirt with her hand on her hip and an I pad in her other hand, it might look cool and I would surely want to know what went into making it and how things were done, but I would not like it if they cut up the statue of liberty to make it no matter how they over came all the obstacles to make it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
29RPU

I like original (I have two), but I like rods too. If you wouldn't want a new body on your car, then some period hot rodders don't want them either. It is a point of perfection in the hot rod world to have original ford steel. If I were to build a hot rod, which I may someday, I wouldn't dismantle a good model a, but I surely would collect original sheet metal to start. Everyone should do as they want without criticism because what is best in your head isn't best in every head. JMHO.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #35
Roadster62

The new Hemmings arrived at the shop today, could some tell me what page the car in question is advertized on?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #36
OoltewahSpeedShop

The car has been listed 3 or 4 times, different places for sale. It was bid to $99,300 on ebay a couple of weeks ago with the reserve obviously not met. It was a stock green '32 roadster that the guy turned into a Hot Rod with a dropped axle, brakes that will stop, wheels & tires, and a $30,000 H&H blown flathead.

Nothing that couldn't be easily backdated..... to original. For a cool $125k
OoltewahSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #37
Roadster62

Thanks! Nothing to get upset over,a '32 Roadster sure isn't rare.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #38
WTSHNN

Car in question...
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...8/1319123.html
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #39
1931 flamingo

Sid's quite a dreamer. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #40
trulyvintage

Lightbulb The point really is ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
The point is ,,,here's a old guy who collect n.o.s. parts over 40 years , won for just that a original 1932 Ford Roadster [which today is rare] and to have it hot rod when SUPER NEW STEEL BODIES are made... Last time i looked a super restored 1932 Ford roadsters were going for over $100,000 and the 1932 Cabriolet sold for $125,000.00 with a 40 year old restoration. I should know [its my friends car he finished in 78...]Those new bodies are so nice... Years ago some guys did a 1932 Chevy roadster body ,,,new steel ..and to this day i have never seen a nicer job then what those guys did. To bad it was on a Chevy...

The point really is ....

Whoever owns a car or any other property has the right to do
with it as they please .....

That includes rodding it, renting it out to movie production companies,
selling it to someone who does not appreciate the historical significance
of it ......

Such is life

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote